On Wings of Excellence
Dear Andrews Family
The wonderful fall weather has arrived, and we hope you are able to enjoy this beautiful weekend with your family! Also, it is a perfect time of year to participate in National Walk to School Day (October 7th) and our annual Andrews Family Walk Night (October 8th). Please read below for more details regarding both events. We look forward to seeing you soon and appreciate our P.E. department for hosting these events!
At a Glance...
Monday, October 5th
- NTCC Choir Rehearsal
Tuesday, October 6th
- 5th Grade Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday, October 7th
- National Walk to School Day
- Fire Posters due for participating students
- PTA Spirit Night @ Scotty P's
Thursday, October 8th
- Family Walk Night (5:30 - 6:30 pm)
Fire Prevention Poster Contest Flyer
Safety First - Helpful Reminders
- No Cell Phone Usage while driving in school zone and drop-off (front/east location)
- Pedestrians - please use crosswalk when crossing street
- Only use Front/East School locations when dropping off students. Dropping off students in the street (e.g. Scenic Drive) is prohibited.
ANDREWS FAMILY SPIRIT PARTNERSHIP
The kindergarten team will be in attendance (5-7 pm)! Purchase a meal anytime that day and turn in your receipt and Scotty P’s will donate a percentage of the sales to Andrews PTA.
National Walk to School Day
Wednesday, Oct. 7th, 7-7:30am
2325 Harrisburg Lane
You and your child are cordially invited to meet our Andrews Elementary P.E. coaches on Wednesday, October 7th at Cap Stone Park to celebrate National Walk to School Day! We will celebrate and promote a healthy lifestyle by walking to school together beginning promptly at 7:15 a.m. We will follow the large sidewalk through the park and arrive at Andrews at approximately 7:30 a.m. We will meet at Cap Stone Park beginning at 7:00 a.m. located on the corner of Chambray and Harrisburg.
Parents are highly encouraged to join us during our brief walk to school. However, we are requesting that NO PETS are in attendance! If you have any questions, please contact Coach Landingham at Mary.Landingham@pisd.edu
Thank you,Coach Landingham, Coach Parlin & Coach Willeford
Family Walk Night
Thursday, Oct. 8th, 5:30-7:30pm
2520 Scenic Drive
Please join us for our annual Family Walk Night! This event will be sponsored by our Andrews P.E. coaches and will begin promptly at 5:30. A course designed for walking and jogging alongside music will be in full effect!
Popsicles will be provided for those in attendance when completed. This night brings many parents and students who wish to meet the coaches and other families in our community. Please do not bring your animals to this event. We hope to see you there!
Please arrive at 5:30 to enjoy the entire hour of walking!
Thank you,Coach Landingham, Coach Parlin & Coach Willeford
Mark Your Calendar for Fall Fest on Oct. 22
Thursday, Oct. 22nd, 5:30-8pm
2520 Scenic Drive
The Andrews Dads Club is planning an action-packed Fall Fest on Thursday, Oct. 22, from 5:30-8 p.m. There will be costumes, jump houses, carnival games, face painting, food and many other activities. Your family won’t want to miss it!
MATH OLYMPIAD FOR 4TH & 5TH GRADES
We'd like to invite your child to participate in MOEMS – Math Olympiad for Elementary and Middle schools. This competition is open to students in grades 4 and 5 only.
Please see attached Math Olympiad Letter for additional information.
If you are interested, please fill out the form in this link by October 16, 2015
Donors Can Make an Impact on Andrews Makerspace!!!
Are you looking for ways to support a specific project at Andrews? Andrews is interested in creating a Makerspace in the library, where students can gather to create, invent and learn. As our global economy expands, our need to prepare this next generation for new careers that demand innovation becomes even more imperative.
The Makerspace wish list contains $5,000 worth of items such as solar car kits, robots, Lego education products (STEM) such as the Lego WeDo Construction set, Lego Mindstorm coding sets, a 3-D printer and related technology, and more. To learn more about Makerspace for Andrews, visit http://tinyurl.com/orxqzf3.
Please consider supporting Andrews PTA by donating at the Red ($25), White ($50), Blue ($75) or Eagle ($100 or higher) donor level. Eagle Donors will be invited to an Eagles luncheon with Principal Joy Lovell at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 20, where they can interact with her and other Eagle Donors. Donate now before the lunch by visiting andrewspta.org, and clicking on the SHOP button on the top of the screen. Once you log in, look under New Forms and choose Donations 2015-16.
In addition, your donations are eligible for your company’s matching gift program. Our Tax Identification Number (EIN #) is 300070670. We appreciate your support immensely and thank each and every one of you that has already donated at any level to support our students and our school!
Any questions about memberships and donations, please email email@example.com.
JOIN PTA TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR ANDREWS ELEMENTARY
Many parents will be relieved to learn that signing up for PTA doesn’t mean you have to volunteer (unless you want to). Your membership in PTA supports all of the wonderful things we do can do for our students and teachers. Last school year, PTA funded $31,174 worth of equipment (iPads) and activities (field trips, author visits, etc.) and more, all for your child’s benefit.
Sign up for your membership at www.andrewspta.org
PTA Reflections Contest
Reflections contest entry submissions are still being accepted. The theme for the 2015-2016 school year is Let Your Imagination Fly. You MUST join Andrew's PTA by Oct. 15, 2015, to participate in Reflections.
The Reflections program recognizes students at the Local, Council/Region, State and National PTA levels. At each level, all entries are judged on interpretation of the theme, creativity and artistic merit.
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Musical Composition
- Visual Arts
For more information, see the Reflections submission form. Submissions are due Nov. 2-5 in the Art Room. The PTA Reflections program requires all students participating in Reflections to have a PTA membership from this year.
October Parent Workshops
STILL TIME TO SIGN UP FOR AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Young Rembrandts Drawing Class – CLASSES ARE FULL.
- Drama Kids is an award-winning educational speech and drama program that meets Wednesdays for one hour after school at Andrews Elementary. The program is a total of 28 weeks and runs Sept. 23-May 25 and ends with a Spring performance. Registration is through Drama Kids website.
- Coding – Animations using MIT Scratch provides a graphical drag-and-drop interface to learn programming and logic without worrying about syntax errors. Students learn to do 2D animations of objects, and upon completing Scratch, will be able to design and implement simple computer games on their own. After mastering Scratch, students can proceed to learn Alice, a 3D animation tool to teach programming. Classes offered on Tuesdays. Register at bit.ly/utd-coding-clubs.
- Chess Program –The instructor will determine participant levels. Beginner and Intermediate will meet on Tuesdays. Advanced players will meet on Thursdays. Enrollment is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here for registration form.
- Mad Science – In the Fall semester, Andrews PTA will be offering Mad Science After School Learning Labs once a week either on Monday or Tuesday.
- CraniaLogix – New this year, CraniaLogix offers two sessions for grades 2nd-5th. Session 1: Think focuses on creative thinking, logical thinking, higher order thinking ... all critical for student success. Offered Thursdays from 2:45-4 p.m., 8-week session. Session 2: Athenian Secret involves student teams that solve arithmetic puzzles and problems while gathering clues to a secret formula. Offered Thursdays, 7-week session, starting Oct. 29. To register, visit http://www.cranialogix.com/resources and fill out the Andrews online form.
Send in those Box Tops!!!
Last year, we earned over $2,100 from Box Tops and grocery store partnerships which helped fund Family Arts Night, Multicultural Night, field trips, Spring Fling, visiting authors, new recess equipment, and Red Ribbon Drug Prevention Week.
Clip the BoxTops on participating products, send them in a bag with your child to school and drop them into a grade-level BoxTop box. Click here to learn more about free fundraising programs. Grandparents, friends, neighbors, and businesses can participate in these programs, too. The more who participate, the more we earn!
COME ONE, COME ALL: NEIGHBORHOOD GARAGE SALE
HIGH KICKS AND HERKIES DRILL/CHEER CLINIC
Does your kid like to dance or cheer? Don’t miss “High Kicks and Herkies,” a dance and cheer clinic for students in kindergarten through fifth grades.
The clinic will be held from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 17 at the Jasper High School (JHS) gym, 6800 Archgate Dr. in Plano. Cost is $40 and includes a t-shirt, snacks, photo opportunities with the JHS drill team and cheerleaders and a performance “show off.” Space is limited, and pre-registration is recommended.
To pre-register, drop off registration and payment (payable to Jasper Jazz Booster Club) at the elementary front office, JHS front office, or mail registration and payment to: Jasper High School, 6800 Archgate Dr., Plano ,TX 75024, Attn: Jasper Jazz/April Lutts. Day-of registration will be held starting at 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 17.
For questions or a registration form, contact Marcy Cadena-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Spots are limited, so register today! Sponsored by the Jasper Jazz Booster Club.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER AND STAY INFORMED
We would love for you to follow Andrews on Twitter under the name @AndrewsEagles. Twitter will be used as an additional mode of communication for reminders as well as to highlight some of the wonderful happenings at Andrews!
Please be aware that the Student Information Release Form includes all forms of social media.