STAAR Writing Boot Camp
Army Strong Background Music
Play the "So What" Game.
Strategies for an effective conclusion
- Play the "So What" Game.
- When you read a statement from the conclusion, ask yourself, "So what?" or "Why should anybody care?"
- Ponder that question and answer it
- Basically, I’m just saying that _____________________
- So what?
- Well, it was important because __________________
- Why should anybody care?
- That’s important because __________________
Complete Subject & Predicate
Subject/Predicate Scavenger Hunt
Fold a paper in half so that you have 2 columns. Write an S on one side of the fold and a P on the other side. Fold the paper where you can only see one column at a time. Begin with the S side and make a list of nouns, then begin a list of verbs under the P. When you open the paper back up again you will have several two word sentences.
Make a list of nouns.
Make a list of verbs.
Open it up and you have a list 2-word sentences.
You may need to put them to the test:
Lizard warmed. (Pssst.... Did I tell you something?)
The Incomplete Sentence Detector
Put the Sentences to the test! Put them through the sentence wringer.