The Tumbleweed Press
Trailblazing the Future!
August 30, 2018
Parents, As August winds down, we just want to take a moment to thank everyone for their support and well-wishes as we mourn the loss of one of our teachers, Mrs. Duran. We never want to go through an emergency such as what we experienced last week, but we have amazing staff members who jumped into action to take care of our students and staff. We are so proud of everyone involved, and sincerely thank the community for stepping in to support us. We truly are a family in every sense of the word!!!
Just a few reminders for your information:
- We have a monthly feedback form included in our newsletter. In an effort to improve our practices at Vogel, we are seeking feedback from parents. There are opportunities to share ways to improve, share strengths, and to share kudos to staff. This feedback form will be in every newsletter and on our webpage each month. Thank you for taking time to support Vogel Intermediate! https://goo.gl/forms/7LbaTIcNqCt0Bz7o2
- Please call your child's teacher if you need assistance with anything. They are always your first line of communication, and can typically answer your questions better than anyone else. :)
Safety and security are of the utmost importance to Conroe ISD. In an effort to provide more options for reporting safety concerns, the District is introducing Anonymous Alerts®, an app that will work alongside our long-standing, anonymous KidChat hotline.
The Anonymous Alerts® app can be downloaded for free on a smartphone and allows students and parents to quickly, easily, and anonymously report student safety issues to the appropriate officials. Anonymous Alerts® also provides opportunities for secure two-way encrypted communication with the school and District personnel receiving the messages. Like the KidChat hotline, the Conroe ISD Police Department will also be monitoring submissions through Anonymous Alerts®.
Download the app by simply scanning one of the QR codes with your phone. Click on the above picture to enlarge the QR code. The login is conroeisd.
No School on Monday
Car Rider Line
- Please enter the car rider line on the south side of Geffert Wright. The entrance is just west of Vogel. When waiting in the car rider line on the south side of Geffert Wright, it is a double lane. Please enter the car line and fill both lanes. Before crossing over into the front parking lot, those two lines merge into one lane.
- At times, there will be gaps in the car rider line by the front door, and that's okay. There are parents who come in to pick up students, and that extra space can come in handy with limited parking. Please remember that we are all working to get your children home safe, and please be kind to one another.
Counselor's Chat and Chew
Attention Vogel Parents!! The counselor’s corner would like to invite you all to our upcoming parent meeting. Our topic will be on “Helping Your Child Succeed in School”. We will be discussing various factors that may aide in keeping our students connected and building resiliency with in them as well.
We are offering 2 meeting times in the Vogel Library at
1:00 – 2:00 & 6:00 – 7:00PM
Thursday, September 13, 2018
If you have any questions please contact
Ms. Rieke or Mrs. Johnson @ 832-663-4300
RSVP – at https://goo.gl/forms/VhVRlyxZehWMn8x62
Transportation changes and reporting issues with transportation
If there are any concerns with transportation (ie - issue with car pick up or bus behavior), please call the school to report the issue. We will do our very best to help remedy the situation. Please refrain from posting concerns on social media, as we do not receive that information, and we cannot help if we don't know the details. Typically, calling your child's teacher, counselor or assistant principal will get the resolution desired. We appreciate the support and will work to correct any issues that arise!
Vogel PTO News
Did you know that all Vogel Texan parents are members of the PTO? There aren't any dues. All you do is provide contact information to receive updates and volunteering information! Our meetings are scheduled for the second Tuesday of the month at 10am at Vogel. We reach out with information through the Tumbleweed Press, emails and our Facebook page. The Vogel PTO can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
We are really excited about this year! The PTO Board consists of some great people and we are already busy and planning, but we are missing one of our coordinator positions. If you are interested in being a Box Tops Coordinator, please let us know and we can help get you started! If you're looking to get involved, but don't have a lot of time to commit, this is the position for you! We have staff that are on hand to assist with this position.
Please contact us if you are available to help with some of the below activities:
- The PTO's main fundraiser begins September 17 - our World's Finest Chocolate fundraiser. This year we will have boxes with dark chocolate bars included. We will need volunteers for delivery, organization, counting and recording money/transactions.
- Ongoing fundraising includes: Spirit Nights at Chick fil A, Sk8 Town, Kroger, Amazon Smile and Box Tops - don't forget to clip those box tops and be watching for contests to see who can collect the most Box Tops.
- PTO also organizes Teacher Appreciation activities and helps to recruit volunteers for school events. Check out the PTO calendar for dates and look for opportunities to sign up and help with luncheons and parties. We usually ask for food donations and/or volunteers for supervision, set up and take down.
- The PTO also organizes the Vogel yearbook. We need your help in getting #simplythebest pictures for the latest edition. make sure to get some award-winning shots from those big cameras. the photos downloaded from phones aren't always the greatest resolution, and it is sometimes hard to enlarge them without losing clarity. We may even have a yearbook page dedicated to picture credits or even a photo contest!
- The Yearbook is now on sale!! The cost is $25 until November 16. After that, the price will go up. To order a yearbook, go to www.balfour.com and enter Dolly Vogel to start the process.
There are many opportunities to get involved at Vogel and we look forward to working with you to make this a fantastic school year! Thank you for your time and enjoy this next adventure!
Best regards from the 2018-2019 Vogel PTO Board
Jessica Longeway - President
Amy Reneau - Vice President
Jaclyn Burket - Treasurer
Stephanie Bell - Secretary
Tiffany Russell - Parliamentarian
Debbie Wilson - Yearbook Coordinator
Diana Martinez - Yearbook Assistant
Stephanie Rodriguez - Student Appreciation Coordinator
Kristie Myers - Co-Teacher Events Coordinator
Neja Saluja - Co-Teacher Events Coordinator
Valerie Brennan - Volunteer Coordinator
Tina Reyna - Spirit Night Coordinator
Clubs are Starting Soon!
Note on Robotics - Our Robotics club (First Lego League - FLL) will be an in-house club this year. They will not be participating in any competitions outside of Vogel and will be using previous years' fields for problem solving and in-house competitions. We will be focusing on the building and problem solving challenges, which is the most fun for our students. It also fosters team building and sportsmanship. If we have any parents interested in sponsoring a team that would attend competitions at a higher level, we would need to know right away. Please email Tara Vandermark at email@example.com if you are interested. Thanks!
Teacher Websites - CANVAS information
Medications at school
Great Things are Happening at Vogel!!
Students in Mrs. Fernandez's class were working together on a problem solving activity.
Students are enjoying a read aloud while relaxing in class.
Students in Ms. Clark's class are learning about mass and magnetism.
Upcoming Events - September
3 - No school - Labor Day
10 - PTO Meeting at 10am
13 - Helping your Child Succeed in School - 1pm and 6pm - Vogel Library (see description above)
17 - Fundraiser Kickoff
26 - Fall Pictures
28 - Fundraiser ends
1 - 6th Grade Feeder Choir Concert - ORHS - 7pm
4 - Fall Choir Concert - 7pm - Vogel cafeteria
5 - End of the 1st nine weeks
5 - Early Release at 1:00pm
8 - No school
27 - 6th Choir Solo Choir Competition - Clark Intermediate