Math and Science Curriculum Update
Meeting the Individual Needs of Our Middle School Students
KCDS will be strengthening its Middle School Science and Math program in the 2nd Trimester. The new schedule is as follows:
Math (Science): Monday and Wednesday
Science (Math): Tuesday and Thursday
Integrate Math and Science: Friday
Mr. Brian Steele will be on campus all day Tuesdays and Thursdays to team teach with Mrs. Sachritz all Middle School Science – Grades 5, 6, 7, and 8.
The daily lesson blocks will be 75 minutes. While two days will be primarily science and two days primarily math, both subjects will be taught daily.
Generally, it will look something like this:
· 60/40 minutes of Math and 15/35 minutes of Science on Mondays and Wednesdays
· 60/40 minutes of Science and 15/35 minutes of Math on Tuesdays and Thursdays
· Fridays will be an integration of the two and will include an emphasis on developing
nonfiction reading intelligence and writing proficiency (reports and essays) in
science and to some extent in math.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Bottom line, our aim is to continuously strengthen our program in two ways:
1. Provide students with learning experiences that are authentic, engaging, and
2. Challenge students with high expectations for academic achievement.