By: Drew Cummings
In this series of High Times, evidence of the failing drug war will be presented. The shocking deterioration of our current anti-drug system is creating a domino effect in the lives of many Americans. Are the current prohibition laws hurting people instead of helping them. In 2012, more than half of U.S. inmates serving a sentence of more than one year were for drug offenses. How does a zero tolerance policy prevent the use of drugs? What other option do we have? Lawmakers have been baffled by the success Portugal has reached in the war on drugs. Portugal has created a system that exposes drugs for the poisons they are. The rehabilitation era has risen in Portugal. Are we going to fall behind or truly protect the people?
The intent of this article is to promote reform of drug policy. Its' purpose is not to suggest the use, sale, or benefit of drugs to anyone.
"The government's duty is to protect the people, not ruin lives."
"Life in the Fishbowl" By: Tegan Broadwater
How the Cycle works.
- The drug is grown or synthesized.
- The drug is shipped to distributors.
- The distributors sell the drugs to dealers.
- The dealers sell to the users.
- The drugs are used, and the demand for supply remains constant.
Each one of the steps give too much room for a dirty business man to cut or lace the drugs. This makes the dealer more money by infusing another unregulated substance in the drugs to make more money. This is a major problem among many designer drugs today. It is estimated that more than ninety percent of MDMA, or ecstasy sold today is synthetic. This makes consumption much more dangerous for the user, because it could be a different substance every time it is used. This faulty regulation has caused many deaths, and serious health complications.
- Large amounts are questioned with an intent to distribute.
- The law breaker is taken to jail.
- A bail is set, and the charges are filed.
- Bail is returned upon court trial.
- Sentence is given based on law and Jury.
- Families are broken, and new drug dealers arise while while the convict is imprisoned.