The cancer YOU can prevent
What Is it?
Skin cancer is an abnormal growth of cells most often developed on skin exposed to the sun.
2 Most Common Types/Symptoms
- Basal cell carcinoma- Appear as a pearly or waxy bump scar like lesion.
- Squamous cell carcinoma- A firm red nodule flat lesion with scaly surface.
The cause of skin cancer are different for every type of skin cancer. Usually it is caused by harmful sun rays due to climate skin cancer cannot be inherited.
- Fair skin
- A history of sunburns
- Excessive sun exposure
- Sunny or high altitude climates
- Precancerous skin lesions
- A family history of skin cancer
- A weakened immune system
- Exposure to radiation
- Exposure to certain substances
- Avoid sun during the middle of the day
- Wear sunscreen year round
- Wear protective clothing
- Avoid tanning beds
- Be aware of sun sensitizing medication
- check your skin regularly
- Biological therapy
- Chemo therapy
- Photo dynamic therapy
- Mohs surgery
- Excisional surgery
- Curettage and electrodesiccation or cryo surgery
- Examine your skin by a doctor regularly
- Remove some skin for testing
Frequency In Population
- 1 in 5 people will experience skin cancer in the coarse of their lifetime
- Each year nearly 5 million people are treated for skin cancer