First Grade Weekly Newsletter
Learning targets for this week:
We will use text evidence to find answers to test questions and we will use periodicals and newspapers to find information
We will understand how words, images, and graphics work together to impact the meaning of an article.
We will blend and segment words with digraphs, ch, tch, wh, ph
We will identify and read words with inflectional endings –es
- I can spell words with –ake, -ame, -ate
I can identify future tense verbs and recognize the verbs that show action
Get ready for weekly assessments on each Thursday!
High frequency words:
every, from, into, people, soon, your, call, funny, how, more, so, there
Black spelling words:
possibility, grasp, comic, quiet, feast, sheepish, betray, defendant, immigrant, irritant, assistant, brilliant, compliant, extravagant, ignorant, artifact, migration, adapt, agriculture, rounding
Purple Spelling Words:
also, beat, seat, three, small, mean, clean, peak, dream, beach, team, length, weight, height, meat,distance
Blue Spelling Words:
Back, sack, black, snack, from, spin, skin, thin, when, your, said, hop, drop, with, they, words, sick, kick, brick, stick, there, use, each
Green Spelling words:
Cot, pot, hot, dot, not, lot, top, sop, mop, pop, hop, mom, Rug, bug, dug, hug, mud, mug, jug, bun, run, fun, nun, but, nut, cut, hut,Red, led, let, get, wet, set, vet, hen, pen,Hit, sit, fit, mit, jig, big, dig, rig, bin, fin, sin, win, pin, six, fix, did, lid, kid, rid
Astonishing, complicated, continue, original, talented
Best way to improve reading is to read 20 minutes everyday. Don't forget to enter your minutes in your reading logs!!!
We will skip count by twos, fives, and tens to determine the total number of objects up to 120 in a set
We will use relationships to determine the number that is 10 more and 10 less than a given number up to 120
Khanacademy (for math practice)
- We will understand that people have different systems that perform different functions—movement, digestion, respiration, etc.—and will recognize the parts of the body that are associated with some of those systems. They will recognize that there are similarities and differences between children and their parents.
Messages, body systems, sweat, evaporate
- We will distinguish between fact and fiction and recognize the difference between real people and fictional characters.
Fact, fiction, peaceful, brave
First Grade Students will have weekly homework. Homework will be given on Tuesday and due back the next Monday.
Each week students will be expected to complete:
- Three reading fluency & comprehension worksheets
- 3 pages of math drills (the goal is to get faster and faster)
- 1 page of Math word problems
- Book bags with 2-3 short leveled books (Children are expected to read for twenty minutes each night and record their minutes into the reading log. Books can be read from other sources such as tumble books or books from the library.)
- Spelling Assignments
Please make arrangements accordingly.