Weekly Newsletter for LCMS Staff
By Tami Gunset
As a district, we will begin conversations about summer school this week. Once we have details I will be sharing those with you but in the meantime please be thinking of those students that need to utilize our summer school program. It is that time of year that we need to begin having those conversations with parents. So begin looking at data and grades to make a educated decision as the student that need to be assigned to summer school. Please know that we will not get STAAR scores back in the district for our 7th and 6th grade Math and Reading until June 15, so we will need to take unit assessments and grades into consideration and possible past STAAR history. Please let me know if you have any questions about summer school but more information to come after our district level meeting this week.
Kurbside Treats - Tuesday, April 5
Lubbock-Cooper Education Foundation's second annual Red & Black Ball
You are invited to the Lubbock-Cooper Education Foundation's second annual Red & Black Ball on April 9 at the McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center! The Superintendent's Reception will begin at 6:00 p.m. and the Ball will begin at 7:00 p.m. The event will include dinner, dancing, and live and silent auctions, and proceeds will benefit scholarships and educator grants for Lubbock-Cooper students and teachers! Don't miss out on this fun opportunity to support the Pirate community!
To purchase your tickets or a table, please visit www.lubbockcooperfoundation.org!
Approving YouTube Videos in GAFE!
In response to recent updates with YouTube and Google Apps for Education (GAFE), we have made changes to how YouTube works in the classroom. If you are an approved Google Classroom teacher, you now have unrestricted YouTube access. This is TRULY UNRESTRICTED!
This YouTube change will allow you to play videos in your classroom WITHOUT any filters. However, your students will still be filtered. Please reinforce digital citizenship.
If your students need to watch a video within Google Classroom or on classroom iPads, you may approve a video to be played. This approval will allow ANYONE in the district to watch the video, so please do not leave this open and unattended.
Google Admin has access to the videos being approved and who approved them. Once a video is approved, you may also restrict it again from being able to be watched once the students are done with the content.
Thank you to those that brought these updates to our attention as we are not always notified in advance of the changes that might affect our use. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or a solution for technology integration in your classroom.
Here is a quick 2 minute video explaining how to approve a video for viewing:
LCISD SPECIAL EDUCATION INVITES YOU TO THEIR OPEN HOUSE
JOIN THE LUBBOCK-COOPER PIRATES BURKHART WALK FOR AUTISM AWARENESS TEAM
See the flier below for information on how to join Lubbock-Coopers Burkhart Walk for Autism Awareness team! The walk is on Sunday, April 24 on the Texas Tech Campus.
Next Two Weeks Calendar Events
- Monday, April 4 - Boys and Girls Stripes Zone Track Meet @ PCP/Lowery Field
- Tuesday, April 5 - Boys and Girls Stripes Zone Track Meet @ PCP/Lowery Field
- Tuesday, April 5 - Happy Birthday Todd Howell
- Wednesday, April 6 - Choir UIL Contest
- Wednesday, April 6 - Happy Birthday Annie Crawford
- Thursday, April 7 - Choir UIL Contest
- Friday, April 8 - End of the 5th Six Weeks
- Monday, April 11 - 6th Six Weeks Begin
- Monday, April 11 - Grades for 5th Six Weeks Due (Midnight)
- Tuesday, April 12 - Spring Pictures
- Tuesday, April 12 - Pathways Training - NO other outside PD will be approved!
- Tuesday, April 12 - Lubbock County Track Championship @ Pirate Stadium (4pm)
- Tuesday, April 12 - MS Golf Tournament @ Meadowbrook Golf Course (4pm)
- Tuesday, April 12 - MS Boys Tennis @ Smylie Wilson MS (4:30pm)
- Tuesday, April 12 - MS Girls Tennis @ LBMS (4:30pm)
- Wednesday, April 13 - Pathways Training - NO other outside PD will be approved!
- Wednesday, April 13 - Read 180 Training (All Day)
- Thursday, April 14 - Manny Scott Presentation @ PAC (8:30am)
- Thursday, April 14 - LPAC Meeting (AM Only)
- Thursday, April 14 - SPED Progress Reports Due
- Thursday, April 14 - NJHS New Member Inductions @ PAC (6pm)
- Friday, April 15 - Snow Day - NO SCHOOL