AIDS awareness in Africa
By: Claire Hatanpa
- Out of the 34 million HIV-positive people worldwide, 69 percent live in sub-Saharan Africa. There are roughly 23.8 million infected people in all of Africa.
- 91 percent of the world’s HIV-positive children live in Africa.
- More than one million adults and children die every year from HIV/AIDS in Africa alone. In 2011, 1.7 million people worldwide died from AIDS.
- Since the epidemic of HIV/AIDS, more than 60 million people have contracted the illness, and over 30 million have died from an HIV-related cause.
- 71 percent of the HIV/AIDS-related deaths in 2011 were people living in Africa.
- Antiretroviral drug treatments can tremendously decrease the number of HIV-related deaths by delaying the progression of the virus and allowing people to live relatively healthy, normal lives.
- Due to an insufficient supply of antiretroviral drugs and health care providers in 2010, only 5 of the 10 million HIV-positive patients in Africa were able to receive treatment.
- Source of information- http://www.dosomething.org/actnow/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-hiv-africa
Making a Change
If everyone starts using condoms, getting themselves tested, and not having sex with strangers. We can come together to put a stop to this horrible disease