St. Mary's Newsletter
St. Mary's Preschool and Elementary School
St. Mary's Catholic Schools Week
St. Mary’s Catholic Schools Week 2022
I Spy… Never Stop Searching for Christ in Your Life!
Sunday: I Spy our Parishes
· St. Mary’s students act as greeters at weekend Masses, distribute thank you cards to parishioners for their support and prayers
· St. Mary’s faculty and staff speak at weekend Masses
· Faith Event: Attending Mass with our family
Monday: I Spy our Community
· Dress Theme: Wear your favorite Missouri sports team clothing with jeans-professional, college, or JACS! **
· Faith Event: Rosary after Choir practice
· Pastries with Parents in the Cafeteria from 7:30-8:00 a.m. Home and School organizes with St. Mary’s faculty and staff serving.
· Classrooms help prepare Valentine sacks for children to be taken to Children’s Haven and Lafayette House
· Class Buddies-each class will spend time playing games or reading with an assigned buddy class.
Tuesday: I Spy our Vocations
· Dress Theme: Uniform Dress
· Faith Event: All School Mass at St. Mary’s with Bishop Rice, 1:00 p.m. Parents may sign students out after Mass, but must pick up from the school office. Normal school dismissal at 3:10 p.m.
· Classroom visits with Joplin-area religious with open invitation to enjoy lunch with the students
· Students will write thank you letters in class to religious and present them during their school visit.
Wednesday: I Spy our Nation and Volunteers
· Dress Theme: Patriotic red, white, and blue with jeans**
· Faith Event: End of Day Prayers and Songs at the St. Mary’s flagpole for students, parents, and faculty and staff starting at 2:15 p.m. (will be held in the cafeteria if weather dictates)
· Student-made Valentines will be sent to the NW Arkansas VA Hospital and the Joplin-area VA Center.
· Volunteer Luncheon in the Parish Hall: faculty and staff will host a chili bar with assorted sides and desserts for school and community volunteers
Thursday: I Spy our Faculty and Staff
· Dress Theme: Crazy Hat Day (and Free Dress Day) because our faculty and staff wear many hats to serve our students
· Faith Event: Adoration for grades Kindergarten-5th Grades (specific schedule for the day will be given to teachers)
· Home and School’s Faculty and Staff Appreciation Lunch with one hour lunchtime so teachers may all share lunch together.
· School-wide Rock, Paper, Scissors Contest, 2:00 p.m. in cafeteria
Friday: I Spy our Students
· Dress Theme: Comfy Clothing Day (pjs, sweats, etc.)
· Faith Event: Divine Mercy Chaplet, 9:00 a.m.
· St. Mary’s Spelling Bee, 10:00 a.m. in Commons
· School-wide St. Mary’s I Spy Game during the school day
· Afternoon movies in each classroom with snacks
Saturday: I Spy our Families
· Plan something special to do as a family centered around faithful service (make a card for a family member, bake cookies or write sidewalk chalk messages for neighbors, help a parent and/or sibling with a task).
· Digital I Spy package for families to enjoy with family prayer, game, and recipes (will be emailed to all St. Mary's families on Friday to enjoy during the weekend)
**Themed days with jeans (Monday and Wednesday) are NOT Free Dress Days. Participating students should wear the daily theme with jeans or uniform bottom, no leggings or sweat pants on these days. Students who choose not to participate in the themed days should wear uniform clothing to school.
I Spy with my little eyes all the wonderful people who make our Catholic school so special!
Winter Weather Reminders
Masking and Car Line Updates
As of today, we have 2 positive student Covid case and 0 faculty and staff member cases in our school. If a child in your child's class tests positive for Covid, you will be notified in an email from me. If there is a positive case, your child's class will be required to stay masked throughout the school day for the 10-day quarantine period, regardless of the signed Parental Request for Masking form.
St. Mary's will continue to dismiss all Preschool and Elementary students by car line through the month of February. Half-day Preschool students who are dismissed at 11:00 a.m. will continue to be dismissed from the north gravel lane, full-day Preschool and all Elementary students will continue to be dismissed by car lines either from the main entrance or from the south side of the school at 3:10 p.m. At the end of February I will review the decision to continue dismissal by car line or from a student's classroom door.
The Golden Apple Award
The Golden Apple Award was established by the Joplin Chamber of Commerce to recognize excellence in teaching and the positive influences a teacher has in a child’s life. St. Mary’s teachers go above and beyond to educate, love, and nurture your child regardless of current challenges, it is what St. Mary’s teachers have ALWAYS done and will continue to do. It is an honor to work alongside teachers who use their gifts and talents to educate and instill not only the joy of learning in each of our students, but the love of Christ as well.
Please take a few moments to nominate one of St. Mary's outstanding teachers for this award. Golden Apple nominations may be written on paper and mailed in or submitted digitally. More information and a nomination form are included in your Family Communicator today. The deadline for submissions is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 11. More information about the Golden Apple and the Nomination Form can be found at www.joplincc.com/goldenapple. If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie McGrew at the Joplin Chamber, 624-4150. Please consider taking a few moments to say “thank you” with a nomination for one of our outstanding educators.
The Golden Apple Award is a one-time honor, making the award that much more special. The St. Mary's school family is the home to several Golden Apple Award winners recipients who may not be nominated again, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. Lone, and Mrs. Lown.
Gift Basket or Live Auction Items Needed for Annual Auction
The JACS Annual Auction is scheduled for Saturday, April 30! We are seeking items to include in baskets or live auction items. Items we are seeking include: * Kitchen & Cooking items * Children’s Toys and Books * Branson Activities or Timeshares * Movie Night at Home * Car Care * Golf-Related Items * KC Chiefs, KC Royals, St. Louis Cardinals Items * Airline Miles *
You can also check out the Auction's Amazon Wishlist: JACS Annual Auction - Amazon Custom Gift List - https://www.amazon.com/registries/custom/2OVCP9Z6A2TVP/guest-view
Donation forms are available using the following link: https://www.jacss.org/development/auction/
Auditions for Newsies, Jr.
Mrs. Stremel is holding a second round of auditions for "Newsies, Jr." on Wednesday, February 2 from 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. at St. Peter's Middle School. The auditions will take place in Mrs. Stremel's second floor classroom located at 931 South Byers Avenue. This musical is open to any JACS student in 2nd - 12th grades. Performances of the musical are scheduled for Friday, April 1 - Sunday, April 3.
If the February 2 audition date does not work well for your family or if you have any questions about the musical, you may reach out to Mrs. Stremel at (417) 627-2351. We are all looking forward to another wonderful theatre production from Mrs. Stremel, what a fun experience for our students!
St. Mary's Spelling Bee
The last classroom spelling bee is scheduled for Wednesday, February 2. The final spelling bee is being held on Friday, February 4, starting at 10:00 a.m. in the Commons. Parents of the spelling bee finalists are invited to attend the final spelling bee on February 4. There will be three winners from Mrs. Lone’s and Mrs. Staton’s classrooms, so there will be a total of 6 students in the final spelling bee The winner of the St. Mary’s Spelling Bee will represent our school on Friday, March 17th at the Joplin Globe Spelling Bee.
- February 2 Classroom Bee: "Harder" and "Hardest" words lists
- February 4 Final Spelling Bee: Combined words from all 6 word lists
If you would like an additional list of the 2022 Joplin Globe Spelling Bee words, the following link will provide each of the 6 lists used in the spelling bee:
St. Mary's Open House
St. Mary's is hosting a Preschool and Elementary Open House for interested families on Saturday, February 26 from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. The I Spy themed morning will include school tours, a fun I Spy game to complete, time spent in classrooms visiting with teachers, and information about what sets St. Mary's apart from other private or public school in the area. For more information, please call the St. Mary's office, 623-1465.
Important Dates to Remember
Saturday, January 29: K of C Free Throw Championship, 9:15 a.m. at McAuley
January 30 - February 5: Catholic Schools Week
Tuesday, February 1: Catholic Schools Week Mass with Bishop Rice, 1:00 p.m.
Friday, February 4: St. Mary's Spelling Bee, 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday, February 9: Charity Dress Day
Wednesday, February 9: American Heart Association Kid's Heart Challenge Kick-Off
Monday, February 14: Valentine's Day Parties-Preschool parties starting at 9:30 a.m., Elementary parties starting at 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday, February 15: Dr. Wilson's Dental Office visits Preschool classes and Kindergarten
Thursday, February 17: Free Dress Day
Friday, February 18: Noon Dismissal, Faculty PD Day
Monday, February 21: No School, Presidents' Day
Saturday, February 26: St. Mary's Preschool and Elementary Open House, 9-11:00 a.m.