Ruby Bridges - where the STARS come to shine!
Hello from the principal's desk!
October 25, 2018
Volume 12 issue 6
Hello RBE community!
I am happy to report that we have a Ruby Bridges Halloween policy! Per the AUSD Teaching and Learning department:
The following guidelines shall apply:
- Students may wear costumes to school according to guidelines established by district’s student dress code policy.
- Costumes shall not be demeaning to any person or group based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, nationality, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or to any individual staff or student at the school.
- No costume can be worn that is unsafe or that may create a safety hazard.
- No weapons or replica weapons are to be brought to school.
- No costumes or masks are allowed that completely hide the identity of the student or would impair a student’s vision or movement (e.g., ability to climb stairs); however, masks may be worn during a parade or other specific activity, provided that safety is not hindered, as determined by the site administrator.
- All restrictions and guidelines regarding obscene materials or prohibited substances remain in effect.
- No student or staff member shall be required to engage in Halloween-related activities if doing so conflicts with their religious faith and/or personal or cultural practice. Students who do not participate in Halloween-related activities shall be provided an alternate educational activity.
Because we already have our Dance-a-thon scheduled for that day, we are NOT going to do a school wide parade. Students can wear their costumes to school as long as it doesn't impede their ability to learn in their classroom. Students will participate in the dance-a-thon at their allotted time (see below) with or without their costumes. If parents would like to attend and take pictures, they can do so. Students can also change into their costumes before the dance party if they would like. Be careful that they don't overheat! Students will ALSO be getting a Dance-a-thon t-shirt at school on 10/31. Students are invited to wear their Dance-a-thon t-shirts during the dance party also.
In other news, the final countdown is on for our fundraising goals. Our goal was to raise $15,000 for the Dance-a-thon. Ms. Lani Pham's TK class has raised $3,351 so far on the pledgestar.com/ruby site!!! WOW! I have heard mixed news that possibly we have already gotten to our goal! If we do hit the $15k, I will be shaving my head. Yes, you heard it. Check out the video on the RBE PTA Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/RubyBridgesElementary/videos/255351441842107/.
I hope you will join us tomorrow for our STEAM showcase, including a table sponsored by our very own STEAM after school program, Camp EdMo. Speaking of Camp EdMo, we are looking to fill a couple of last spots in the program. Are you interested in joining the aftercare program and learning a ton about STEAM? They are just about to start their Minecraft unit!!!
That is all for now. Have a great week everyone,
Upcoming events at Ruby Bridges
10/25 - Book Fair open 3-6pm
10/26 - Book Fair open 3-8pm
10/26 - Early Release for Teacher Collaboration: TK - 11:40, K-5th - 12:30
10/26 - STEAM showcase, 6:15pm
10/30 - SSC, 3:15pm
10/31 - Dance-a-thon fundraiser during the day
- 9:00 - 9:45 am Pre K (morning class,) TK, Kindergarten, K-2 SDC, and Third Grade
- 10:00 - 10:45 am First Grade, Grade 3 - 5 SDC, and Fourth Grade
- 12:30 - 1:15 pm Pre K (afternoon class,) Second Grade, and Fifth Grade
11/2 - Spirit Day - Cultural Dress
11/7 - Student Council elections
11/7 - PTA meeting
11/12 - NO SCHOOL - Veteran's Day
11/14 - Ruby Bridges Day
11/14 - ELAC 8:30
11/19-11/23 - NO SCHOOL, Fall Break
11/26 - 11/30 - Early release for Fall parent conferences
2nd grade science
2nd Grade geologists collected rocks from our school campus to study their properties from Mrs. Maiden's class.
4th grade STEAM
4th grade student teams were asked, "How do shoes help shape the world we live in?” Then they set out to design a shoe with specific purpose. Pretty cool & innovative results from our designers in the STEAM lab!
2nd grade science
4th grade STEAM
Trait of the month - COMPASSION
― R.J. Palacio, Wonder
Please consider donating to a teacher in need!
Lunch this week
Fri., Oct 26
Bean and Cheese Burrito (V)
Favorite - Turkey Hot Dog
Mon., Oct 29
Cheese Bread Sticks w/ Marinara Sauce (V)
Favorite - Cheese Pizza
Tue., Oct 30
Breakfast for Lunch!
Pancakes, Egg and Sausage
Pancakes, Egg Patty and Veggie Sausage (V)
Favorite - Cheeseburger Sliders
Wed., Oct 31
Pasta with Meat Sauce
Pasta with Marinara (V)
Favorite - Chicken Nuggets
*A yogurt meal is available daily!
Every kid needs a champion. One of my favorites...