Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 3/21
We had a terrific time at the MS play "Number the Stars." Students determined some important similarities and differences as we compared and contrasted the book to the play. We will have a busy week ahead of learning! Students will be working on review on roots & vocabulary over the next several weeks. Look for the new Study Guide today!
MCAs are quickly approaching. See below for MCA dates & other important spring dates.
Reminder: There is a 2-hour early release on Thursday and no school Friday or Monday.
At Number the Stars Play
Important Spring Dates:
Spring Pictures: TOMORROW, 3/22
Disney World Dress Up Day: Thursday, 3/24
Read a Shirt Day/ Sock Hop (Crazy Sock Day): 3/294th Grade Reading MCAs: April 6-12th
4th Grade Math MCAs: April 20-26th
***I will notify families of our specific testing days during each window once I know.
4th Grade Spring Program: May 3rd, 6:00-6:45
Science Museum Overnight: May 12-13th
4th Grade Track & Field: Thursday, May 26
***Friday, May 27 and Tuesday, May 31 are make up dates for T&F.
Updates & Announcements:
4th Grade Music Projects Are Due TOMORROW!
Camp Invention - Summer Opportunity for Students!
Camp Invention is returning to Kasson-Mantorville Public Schools!
Camp Invention takes summer fun and transforms it from ordinary to extraordinary!
In partnership with the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Kasson-Mantorville Middle School is pleased to offer the nationally-acclaimed Camp Invention program to children entering grades 1st through 6th. It’s an exciting, weeklong summer adventure with lessons that explore connections between science, technology, engineering and innovation. Children will work together to seek solutions to real-world problems and sharpen critical 21st century learning skills while rotating through several fascinating modules. The week begins on August 1, 2016 with Ryan Haraldson serving as Director of the Epic™ program!
Here is how young innovators will be spending their time:
Brainstorming product ideas and building original prototypes using real tools and components found in everyday devices
Exploring the lives of giant insects, colorful animals and their environments
Constructing and personalizing a DIY solar-powered cricket with a unique habitat
Discovering the science of slime, demolition, electronic sound, giant squid and coding All activities give participants the opportunity to be a part of something big while having fun!
Local educators will facilitate program modules and enthusiastic high school students will serve as Leadership Interns ensuring that one staff member is in place for every eight children.
Early registration discounts available. Every registration includes a complimentary Camp Invention t-shirt. Availability is limited, so visit www.campinvention.org or call 800.968.4332 to secure your child’s spot today!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are working on summarizing text while reading Jim Thorpe's Bright Path.
- We are reading a short story about John Henry, answering questions, and comparing and contrasting with a short film clip.
- We are utilizing a new reading resource called Read Theory, which offers online reading passages for students.
- We are practicing the PRUNES strategy while reading (Preview, Read x2, Underline, Notice key words, Eliminate choices, Survey/check answers).
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are finding the area of rectangles, triangles, and irregular figures.
- We are calculating perimeter of regular and irregular figures.
- We are reviewing key geometry terms.
- We are solving multidigit multiplication and multidigit division problems.
- We are building our speed and accuracy with basic multiplication and division facts.
Science & Social Studies:
- We are learning about types of rocks and minerals.
- Students are continuing their study of states and capitals.
Post-Bulletin Design An Ad Winner
Wishing you a terrific week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Your Partner in Education,