For the Week of August 17, 2022
SCHOOL STARTS WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17TH!!
High School and Middle School Open House will be on August 16th from 5 pm to 8 pm.
1. Masks are now voluntary. There will still be masks available for those that choose to wear them. All sanitation procedures will still be in place.
2. Attendance is taken every class period. Parents, you will receive a phone call if your child has not arrived by 8:40 am.
3. The school day is from 8:30 am to 3:45 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. On Wednesdays the school day is from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm.
4. *Reminder: once a student misses any class for 29 or more hours he/she will non-credit the class. Attendance is vital for a student's success.
- After school tutoring is available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4-6 pm.
- Noon tutoring is available every day during lunch.
Sports Eligibility--Avoid Being Ineligible
According to the 2022-2023 student and athletic handbooks, if a student failed classes last spring, they are now ineligible in sports for 4 weeks for EACH class failed. For example, if a student failed or non-credited 3 classes, they are ineligible for 12 weeks from the date of the first practice. Classes can be recovered in credit recovery, independent study, or through summer school to avoid the four weeks. Remember, all student athletes are students and your education is very important to us.
Also, students are not eligible if they are failing any classes. Eligibility is run every Wednesday at 5 pm and that ineligibility will stand firm until the following Wednesday. It is very important that you check your child's PowerSchool and be in the know about your child's educational progress.
Finally, attendance does count for weekly eligibility. Students cannot have more than 7 absences in any class and be eligible for sports. However, once the hours are made up, students will be eligible to play.
Clarification on Attendance Policy
According to the handbook, high school students cannot miss more than 28 hours per class period each semester. Absences due to any reason--excused, unexcused, medical, etc. count towards the 28 hours. Once a student has missed over the 28, the class is considered a non-credit and the student will be placed in credit recovery for the rest of that semester for the hours non-credited. If a student non-credits every class period, they will be dropped for the semester and given alternative learning materials. The student must wait until the beginning of the next semester to return to school.
Additionally, students cannot have over 7 absences in any class period to be eligible for sports and/or activities. Students must make up those hours during tutoring sessions and/or Saturday Academies.
Finally, all hours must be made up down to 7 hours in every class at the end of each semester, or the student will non-credit the course for the semester.
Attendance in school is very important for student success. We recommend that students be in school as much as possible and for parents/guardians to login to PS and be aware of their child's grades and attendance to avoid issues such as non-crediting.
If you have any questions about the attendance policy, please contact the high school administration team.
Notifications on the School App
If you are unable to open any notifications on the quick screen of the school app, please note that they all get posted on the Live Feed on the app and school website.
New Town HS and MS
New Town High School
New Town Middle School