The Four Steps to Problem Solving
What you can do at home!
Understanding and Exploring the Problem
- Ask your child: What are you looking for?
- Have them tell you about the information they are told
- Read the problem several times
- Make sure to look back at the original question
- Have them put the question in their own words
Find a Strategy that Works for Them (Not You)
- Have them show you with: pictures, number equations, making a table, or logical reasoning
- Play around with the information
- Have them plan their attack for the problem
- Make sure they keep track of what they are doing in order to find errors
Use a Strategy to Solve the Problem
- Decide on the strategy
- Show the process as they work
Look Back and Reflect on the Solution
- Have them practice checking for errors
- Ask them: Does the answer you have, answer the problem?
- Have them try to find another way to solve it