Monthly MOAHPERD Membership Newsletter
June-July 2017 Edition
MOAHPERD Membership Has Its Privileges
I remember first becoming a MOAHPERD member, as a college student back in 1988. I did not really know what the Association was all about, but I was convinced by my professors that being a professional meant doing more than just your teaching job. Being a HPE professional entailed staying on top of the latest trends, research, and best practices, by attending workshops/conventions, reading educational publications, and networking with other educators, especially those in the HPE profession. Most of all, they convinced me that a "true" professional was active in their professional organizations. I have remained committed to this expectation throughout my 28 years as a HPE teacher and administrator.
Most often HPE professionals believe that the only reason to become a member of their state Association is to attend the state convention in November. If this is your impression about the value of membership please let me have two minutes of your time and ask you to read the following.
List of benefits of being a MOAHPERD member:
- Annual State Convention - As a member, you have the ability to attend our state convention which includes over 80 quality program sessions about professional practices and the latest trends in the HPE field. It is THE best bang for your buck for professional development for health and physical education teachers.
- Professional Development Workshops - As a service to our members, MOAHPERD offers regional/district workshops at various locations around the state. These workshops are offered to members at very reasonable rates. MOAHPERD partners with the Missouri Regional Professional Development Centers offer one-day Quality Health and Physical Education workshops (See the Workshops folder within the Events menu on the website for 2018 information).
- Professional Collaboration - MOAHPERD offers opportunities for collaborating with other HPE professionals around the state.
- MOAHPERD Website - The member portal on the Association website is full of valuable resources for HPE professionals to utilize in promoting quality health and physical education programs, as well as school wellness programs. You can also view HPE job postings in districts and schools throughout Missouri.
- MOAHPERD Publications - Members will be kept abreast of latest news, current best practices and pending legislative actions that impact the HPE profession, via the monthly electronic newsletters and the annual journal.
- Leadership Opportunities - Only members have the opportunity to serve on the MOAHPERD Representative Assembly and/or standing committees.
- MOAHPERD Award Nominations - Only members can be nominated as a Missouri Teacher of the Year or one of the other state awards. A list of MOAHPERD awards and their criteria are found in the Awards and Grants menu on the website.
- Voice and Representation - Your membership dollars support advocacy efforts that provide HPE professionals an increased voice to shape policy and legislative action in Missouri, and to develop collegial relationships with educational and youth-serving associations and agencies.
Don't wait for the convention to become a MOAHPERD member. Join today for only $40 and start receiving your benefits now. Go to www.moahperd.org and click on the "Join" tab in the top menu.
MOAHPERD President (2017)
American Heart Jump Rope/Hoops for Heart
MOAHPERD State Convention
Friday, Nov. 10th, 8am to Sunday, Nov. 12th, 10am
The Lodge of Four Seasons
- Andy Milne (National Health TOY)
- Mike Doyle (Central District Adapted PE TOY)
- Scott Williams (National Dance TOY)
- Jim Deline (US Games Keynote Presenter)
REGISTER TODAY AT www.moahperd.org
SEE CONVENTION REGISTRATION FORM FOR A LIST OF FREE PRE-CONVENTION WORKSHOPS.
MAKE LODGING ARRANGEMENTS NOW AT 1-800-THE-LAKE.
PE Superstar - Jim Deline - Will Present at State Convention
MOAHPERD Leadership Update
Executive Committee Members Plan for the Future
EC Members Head to North Dakota
Executive Committee members represented Missouri at the SHAPE America Central District Leadership Summit.
STL HPE Summer Workshop News
60+ HPE professionals attend St. Louis Summer Health and Physical Education Workshop on July 11th.
KC HPE Summer Workshop News
MOAHPERD members attended the Kansas City Health and Physical Education workshop on July 12th.