Architecture Is All Around You
By: Brayan Covarrubias
- Updated on work being done
- Making changes to your project
- Customer Service and Retention
- Communication with workers and client
Education and Training- To become a succesful architect you need to earn a NCARB certificate. High school graduates who want to become and architect can enroll in a Bachelor of Architecture program. You may enroll in a tech school but you may not get the same success as going to school for 8 years.
Preferred Job Skills
- Design Talent
- Business Aptitiude
- Social Awareness
Job Outlook- Expected to grow faster than all other average occupations. It is expected to grow 17% by 2022.
Salary- Between 73,000 and 118,000 for average. It all depends how popular you or your business is.
Work Enviroment- You may find work in companies willing to enlarge their business, or anyone who needs a design for a new building. Some hazards and disadvantages is that you will have to be supervising your project, this itself is hazardous and is a dangerous place to be. You will also have to drive far depending on where the construction is being done. But all in all, the conditions for the job are not very physical, but more laid back and you will need a lot of knowledge.
High School Preperation
Related Courses at Leyden-
- Civil Engineering and Architecture- This class gives you a basic feedback to the career. You perform projects similar to those done by an Architect.
- English 4 Humanities- This class gives you a knowledge of how to build a successful career. It's helpful because in the Archtitect field, it all depends on how much experience you've had.
Unfortunately there are no extra-curricular activites at leyden that have to do with the Architect field.
Work and/or Volunteer Experience- AIA is an institute in the Chicago Land Area that provides you with some feedback on the Architect Career. There are events held which let you show off your small scale design projects.
- Mr. Jackson at East Leyden High School
- Mr. O'grady at East Leyden High School
- Mr. Gerber at East Leyden High School
Post Secondary Plans
- Landscape Architecture
Training Programs or Certifacate Courses- SEI and SOA certificates. The SEi certificate provides principles and practices. The SOA certicitate provides you with training to your career and recgonizes your accomplishment of gaining project-ready SOA proficiency.
Internship- Summer Intern in Downtown Chicago. This internship has been going since the early 1900's. Although, you must already be enrolled in an Engineering Architectural, and/or Environmental/Sustainability College curriculum with a basic understanding and use of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
“I try to give people a different way of looking at their surroundings. That's art to me.” Maya Linche