GCCSD News and Updates - Dec. 2022
Reflecting on our year together so far 📆
The end of the calendar year gives us an opportunity to pause our busy lives and reflect on our proud accomplishments. The season offers us a chance to say “thank you” to the entire school community for all of the support that you provide to our students, our families and our staff.
Over the past several weeks, I have watched as students and staff have banded together to help each other and those who need it this year. Just yesterday morning, Neil Armstrong students were featured on the news for their outstanding efforts during a toy drive. This type of community outreach and service is a great testament to our Spartan Way values, and it reflects the #GCCares culture that only continues to grow.
Take a look at the photos below to see many more Spartans in action and be sure to take note of some important updates and reminders further on in this e-newsletter. Remember that there is no school for students in grades UPK-5 this coming Monday, Dec. 5.
It is my great honor to serve as the superintendent here in Gates Chili. I wish you all a wonderful December and look forward to seeing you at our concerts, athletic contests and events.
Superintendent of Schools
✨ Check out these Spartans in action ✨
Kindergarten fall fun
The delicious smell of apples filled the Paul Road air when kindergarten Panthers made homemade applesauce as one of their rotating classrooms for special fall activities!
Fall Family Fest Fun!
Hundreds of students and their families came out on Nov. 10 for the annual Gates Chili Fall Family Fest. Thank you to the 50+ community partners who helped make this event a success.
Showing kindness through art
GCMS artists are working on collaborative art describing an act of kindness. This project is inspired by "Come From Away," which many of them will have the opportunity to see later this month at the Auditorium Theatre!
Full STEAM ahead at NYSCATE!
Our Gates Chili Unified bowling team completed another successful season. Their hard work and compassion truly exhibit the Spartan Way every day!
Thank you, SRPs!
On Nov. 15, we celebrated our school-related professionals for their commitment to Gates Chili students and helping them grow.
Spartan musicians had the opportunity to perform in a joint concert with the Nazareth College Wind Symphony on Nov. 15. Click here to hear that performance.
GCHS student honored with Do The Right Thing Award
Check your student's meal account balance 🍎🥛
As we’ve shared, districts in New York State have returned to family-paid meals this school year. For the 2022-23 school year, breakfast is $2.00, and lunch is $3.20. Families can still send in cash/check to add funds to meal accounts, however, the district retains two new platforms to help families manage the cost of meals.
- Used to make payments for student meals, set up recurring payments, track and review meal history and create low balance alerts
- Platform is now in use in place of MyPaymentsPlus
Go to gateschili.org/SchoolNutrition to login.
- Used to complete a secure free and reduced meal application
- Oftentimes linked to other items, such as AP exam waivers and college applications.
Go to gateschili.org/FreeReducedApp to complete a form.
Last day to complete the Digital Equity Survey 💻
In 2020, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) began requiring public schools to provide information on student and teacher access to devices and the internet.
Today is the last day to complete the brief survey found in the User Defined tab of SchoolTool Parent Portal.
- Similar to previous surveys, this questionnaire asks about students' access to devices and the internet and is required to be submitted for each school-aged child.
- Please review this brief instructional video for details on where to find the survey and how to complete it. Families must answer each question and save their responses.
- If you need technical assistance, please contact our help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-340-5522.
Thank you in advance for responding to the NYSED Digital Equity Survey.
Preparing for inclement weather ❄️
As we move into the winter months and the likelihood of inclement weather, here are some reminders about emergency school closings and delays.
- In the event of an emergency or inclement weather, the district will provide information and updates via phone call, text message, email, as well as the district website, social media, and local TV/radio stations.
- School closings will be announced no later than 6 a.m. whenever possible.
- While we aim to limit early dismissals whenever possible, sometimes they become necessary. Families whose homes are unattended during the day should make arrangements for their students to be supervised in the event of an early dismissal.
- If afternoon school activities are canceled due to weather conditions, all district campuses and buildings will be closed. This means all afternoon and evening activities are canceled including sporting events, field house activities, club meetings, Continuing Education classes, etc. This also means that all late bus runs will be cancelled for the day.
Budget Ambassadors wanted 📈
Gates Chili recognizes the importance of voter input in the budget development process. In an effort to gain this valuable feedback, the district is once again holding its Budget Ambassador Program for the 2023-24 school year budget.
Ambassadors will review the preliminary 2023-24 budget as developed by the administration within parameters established by the Board of Education and recommend to the BOE any modifications they would like to see.
Ambassadors will commit to serve on a committee which meets for three (3) two-and-a-half- (2.5) hour evening sessions with the superintendent and assistant superintendent for business on the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 6p.m.
- Thursday, March 16 at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, April 6 at 6 p.m. (if a third session is needed)
No experience is necessary, but ambassadors must be residents of the district. A maximum of 15 ambassadors will be accepted into the program on a first-come-first-served basis.
Upcoming events and important dates 🗓️
- Dec. 3: FBFA Craft Show, Gates Chili MS, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Dec. 5: UPK-5 Parent-Teacher Conferences/No School for Students UPK-5
- Dec. 5: HS Band Concert, GCPAC, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 6: BOE Meeting, Admin. Building, 6:30 p.m.
- Dec. 7: PR Winter Band and Chorus Concert, GCPAC, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 13: MS Grades 6-8 Winter Chorus Concert, GCPAC, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 14: WD Winter Band and Chorus Concert, GCPAC, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 15: MS Grades 7-8 Band Concert, GCPAC, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 16: #GCPride Day
- Dec. 20: BOE Meeting, Admin. Building, 6:30 p.m.
- Dec. 23: UPK-5 Conferences - Half Day for Students UPK-5
- Dec. 26: Holiday (Observance) - District Closed
- Dec. 27-30: Holiday Recess - No School for Students and 10-Month Staff
Always check the district's online calendar for the most up-to-date dates, times and locations for events.
Get paid to be a Gates Chili Spartan! 💰
Job ID 774: Library Media Specialist - LTSJob ID 662: Business Teacher
Job ID 777: Science Teacher (2023-24 school year)
Job ID 703: Technology Teacher
Job ID 772: School Psychologist Intern (2023-24 school year)
Job ID 776: Automotive Mechanic
Job ID 725: Cleaner
Job ID 614: Food Service Helper
Job ID 747: Teacher Aide - School Aide
Job ID 728: Hall Monitor/Cafeteria Monitor (Part-time)
Job ID 780: Receptionist - Administration Building (Full-time)
Job ID 750: Bus Attendant
Job ID 749: Bus Driver
Job ID 723: Substitute Support Staff
Job ID 724: Substitute Teacher*
*The Gates Chili Board of Education recently approved new,
increased rates for instructional substitutes. Click here for details.
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The district celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.