The Loggerhead Turtle
Module Twelve Assignment Three
Where it is found in NC
Here are some Pictures
The Loggerhead Turtles are beautiful, magnificent creatures!
Why this turtle is facing Extinction...
- The trade of their skins and shells
- The changing of their climates
- Habitat loss
Loggerhead Turtles face the same types of threats as other turtles, and have the same difficulties of finding safe feeding grounds and places to lay their eggs. The main reason that Loggerhead Turtles are dying is because of fishing incidents, or bycatch. This is where fisheries accidently catch turtles and other marine life in their nets along with the fish.
What is being done to protect the Turtles
- By taking action, and raising awareness about the changing of the climate
- By observing the actions and behaviors of the turtles in their habitats
- By trying to prevent/reduce the bycatch incidents
- By protecting the places where Loggerhead's lay their eggs
- By increasing the awareness and use of smart fishing
- By trying to protect turtles from trade
These are some steps that are being used, and this may be the only chances that this species may have.