North Canton Middle School Guidance
Exciting things happening in the Guidance Department!
Meet your North Canton Middle School Counselors:
7th Grade: Mrs. Jami Brennan
8th Grade: Ms. Terri Simmons
*Guidance Secretary - Mrs. Barb Ianni
The role of the counselor is to provide students with the tools necessary to help with the student's personal/social, career and academic success. Here at NCMS, our counseling department encourages every student to reach his or her highest potential. Your counselors are here to help meet the needs of students and families. Do not hesitate to email or call us!
Internet Safety Presentation To All NCMS Students
WHAT'S HAPPENING IN 6TH GRADE?
Character Building through Camp Muskingum
BOYS LUNCH GROUP
WHAT'S HAPPENING IN 7TH GRADE?
AGAPE GIRLS and THE HUDDLE
Girls will participate in the AGAPE GIRLS Program and the boys will participate in THE HUDDLE Program. These groups will meet once a month, starting in October.
GIRL'S LUNCH CHATS
WHAT'S HAPPENING IN 8TH GRADE?
NOVEMBER: CAREER EXPLORATION!
This month is Career Exploration Month for 8th Graders. Every 8th grader will participate in career activities through classroom lessons presented by their counselor, Ms. Simmons. On November 20st, students will participate in 8th Grade Career Day. During 8th Grade Career Day, 8th graders will have the opportunity to hear from various community professionals and will learn about career options.
8th Grade Group: THIP - Teens Helping Informing and Preventing
DID YOU KNOW...
BE SAFE! BE SMART! BE KIND!
Did you know?
- 93% of teens (12-17) go online.
- Of the children (0-5) who use the Internet, 80% use it at least once a week.
- On average, texting teens (12-17) send and receive 1500 text messages a month.
- 1 in 3 teens (12-17) have experienced online harassment.
- 1 in 6 U.S. children grades six to ten (that’s 3.2 million students) are targets of online bullying every year.
- One million children were harassed, threatend or subjected to other forms of cyberbullying on Facebook during the past year.
- 1 in 7 kids (ages 12 to 17-years-old) were sexually solicited or approached online.
- 71% of kids get messages online from someone they don’t know
- Only 15% of parents are “in the know” about their kids social networking habits.
*A few Helpful Internet Sites for Parents and Students:
NCMS HAS CHARACTER!
6 Pillars of Character Education:
Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat or steal • Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal — stand by your family, friends and country
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements
Do what you are supposed to do • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act — consider the consequences • Be accountable for your choices
Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly
Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need
Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment