GO GREEN TO STAY GREEN
Rebekah Bonnemann and Anna Räuber-Ramos
How it Works
- Some types of algae produce oil as they photosynthesize.
- This oil can then be harvested for use.
- It can then be converted for use in cars, trains, factories, etc.
- There are many strains of oil producing algae that live in different environments.
- Algae uses CO2 to produce oil, hence reducing global warming.
- There is PLENTY of algae.
- Genetic diversity means significantly decreased chance of crazy virus killing it all off.
- 10-100 times more productive than traditional biofuels.
- Uses up waste from food and chemical industries as fertilizer.
- Can be used in salt or even waste water we otherwise don't use.
- It only costs $50 per barrel, or ~$2.63 per gallon, to produce.
- Being a plant, we can plant and harvest it like corn, producing a nearly endless supply.
Algae biofuel production can use a lot of energy to produce algae and uses more water than other biofuel sources along with requiring a lot of fertilizer.