PLANO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
PSHS eNews: Where the Wildcat Nation Gets Its Information
Thursday, June 2, 2016
END OF YEAR AND GRADUATION INFORMATION
SENIOR CHECK-OUT PROCESS
THIS EXIT PROCESS IS REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION.
Graduating Seniors MUST follow these steps:
- Starting , NOW, pick up check-out paperwork in SUB SCHOOL
- Final Exams
- Check-out Form signed by LIBRARY and ALL TEACHERS
- After ALL signatures have been obtained; go to the Counselor's Office (B243) on Thurs. & Fri., June 2nd & 3rd from 9am – 6pm OR Mon. & Tues., June 6th & 7th from 9am – 4pm.
- Graduation tickets will be distributed during the check-out process with the Counselor. Each graduating senior will receive 5 guest tickets to Graduation.
GRADUATION CEREMONY – Thursday, June 9th at the Dallas Convention Center starting at 9:30am SHARP. Please report 1 HOUR before the ceremony
Graduation 2016 Packet for parents
Parent Engagement Survey
You are invited to participate in the Parental Engagement Survey for Plano Senior High.
House Bill 5, adopted in the 83rd Legislative Session (2013), changed several regulations regarding accountability and added a new type of accountability rating and reporting, Community and Student Engagement Accountability (CSEAS). The law requires each school district to evaluate and assign a performance rating for each campus in various program and performance areas including Community and Parental Involvement.
There are many ways in which parents may be involved in the education of their child. Extensive research has shown that activities such as reading and communicating with the child and setting expectations have the largest effect on student achievement. Other forms of parental involvement, such as attendance and participation in school functions, also contribute positively to achievement in school.
This Parental Engagement Survey will help us understand some of the ways in which parents are engaged in the education of their child. This information will guide us in providing support to the parents in our community.
With Plano Senior High and the 2015-2016 school year in mind, please take a moment to answer this brief survey.
Thank you for your participation.
Here are the links to the online survey:
New online menu service-MealViewer
Food and Nutritional Services is pleased to announce MealViewer, a new on-line communication tool for menus and nutritional information to meet your campus needs. It comes as a web and APP version. Parents can retrieve menus and dietary information anywhere anytime.
Parents can follow the pisd web site links listed below to access the announcement. We have provided instructions on the web site to assist parents on how to retrieve menus/allergen/nutritional information. It is very easy to use.
FROM THE NURSE
If your child needs medication at school please bring medication in the original container with the proper paperwork to be left in the clinic. Medications brought into the clinic can remain in there until the end of the school year.
To protect all students from illnesses, students infected with certain diseases are not allowed to come to school while they are contagious. Students should be symptom-free for 24 hours before returning to school. Contact the clinic if you are unsure whether or not your child should return to school. 469-752-9309.
Immunization records can be found in the parent portal. Please bring into the clinic any new immunizations that you have received to be added to the current record. Most colleges will require an additional meningitis shot to begin college in the fall. Check with your college for more information.
FROM THE COUNSELING OFFICE
The Counseling Office
will be closed for a Faculty Meeting
Friday, June 3 beginning at 11:00 a.m.
ATTENTION STUDENTS TAKING AP EXAMS
AP Scores will be available Online in July.
You must have a College Board account to access your scores. Go to https://apscore.collegeboard.org/scores#m=signin-form&scores to create an account or log on to see your scores.
- Starting NOW, your course requests for next year can be viewed in Parent Portal
- Any changes must be in writing (with a parent signature) and turned into your current Counselor BY Friday, June 3rd.
If you have signed up to take a Dual Enrollment Class next year AND you did not take one this year, you MUST complete an application to Collin College BEFORE you can register for your classes. Apply at https://apply.collin.edu/ .
New Student Orientation at Collin College
A note to all students who will be attending Collin College for the first time in the fall: you will need to attend orientation prior to registering for classes. Orientation sessions are going on now. For more information visit www.collin.edu/orientation or call 972.377.1750.
FROM PSHS PTSA
- A few more volunteers are needed to read final exams to students from 5/31-6/3. A small amount of your time can make a big difference to a student. Please follow this link to select a shift. Thank you! https://planoptsa.membershiptoolkit.com/Open_Forms
- The following items are being collected for Plano’s Closet food pantry: canned ravioli, canned vegetables, just-add-water pancake mixes, and small bottles of syrup. Donations may be dropped off in the main office.
- The PTSA is donating a drying rack and table mounted paper cutter to the Art Department, which adds to the list of grants fulfilled by PTSA this school year.
- pH probes for the Chemistry Lab
- 2 all-in-one student computers for the Library
- Communications materials for Special Education
- Funds for Engineering to build a computer program for a middle school percussion player with Cerebral Palsy
- LED TV for Counseling Department for academic conferences
- Membership to the National School Nurse Association for our school nurse
- Funding for 2 students to attend the CARE alcohol/drug program
- Books for parents/students dealing with grief
- Art drying rack and table mounted paper cutter
- The PSHS PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association) invites you to get a jumpstart on becoming a PTSA member now for the 2016-2017 school year. Students who are members for both years are eligible to win PTSA scholarship drawings their senior year. ($10,000 scholarships in 2015-2016) It costs just $10 for a student and $15 for a parent. See more benefits and sign up at this link today. https://planoptsa.membershiptoolkit.com/membership
- Is Drivers Ed in your summer plans? Consider the online state-approved Aceable program. Enter the code ‘WILDCAT’ to receive a 25% PSHS PTSA discount. www.aceable.com
COLLIN COLLEGE OFFERS SUMMER CAMPS FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
There is a little something for everyone this summer at Collin College. Middle and high school students interested in nursing, robotics, music or dance have a lot of options on campus as summer camps heat up. Here is the schedule of the camps sponsored by Collin College:
Nurse Camp Monday-Wednesday, June 13-15
For students interested in getting an inside look at the nursing profession, Collin College is hosting its free Nurse Camp. Open to students between 8th -12th grades, participants will observe demonstrations and participate in simulations from 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Central Park Campus, 2200 W. University Drive in McKinney. Space is limited. Call Beth Kasprisin, clinical coordinator of nursing, at 972.548.6605 or email email@example.com more information.
Summer Robotics Camp Tuesday-Thursday, June 21-23
From 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., participants will stimulate their minds and unleash creativity at the Summer Robotics Camp. Open to students between 7th - 10th grades, the camp will be held at the Spring Creek Campus Living Legends Conference Center, 2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway, in Plano. Cost is $89 and includes three lunches. This camp is sponsored by the Collin College Robotics Club and the Engineering Department. Call Gena Martin at 972.377.1501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Collin Summer Dance
Festival Monday-Friday, July 11-15
The sixth annual Collin Summer Dance Festival features workshops in modern, ballet, jazz, pilates, musical theatre and hip-hop. Daily workshops are from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the dance studio (room AA146) at the Spring Creek Campus, 2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway, in Plano. Cost is $125. The Summer Dance Festival is for beginners or advanced dancers, 14 years old and up. Space is limited. Online registration is available at www.collin.edu/department/dance/summerdance.html Call Tiffanee Arnold, festival coordinator, at 972.881.5830 or email email@example.com for more information.All Girls
Summer Robotics Camp Tuesday-Thursday, July 19-21
From 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., girls get to design and build their own technological creation at the All Girls Summer Robotics Camp. Open to students between 7th - 10th grades, the camp will be held at the Preston Ridge Campus Conference Center, 9700 Wade Blvd in Frisco. Cost is $89 and includes three lunches. This camp is sponsored by the Collin College Robotics Club and the Engineering Department. Call Gena Martin at 972.377.1501 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Texas All-Star Jazz Camp Monday-Friday, July 18-22
The Texas All-Star Jazz Camp features a flurry of daily workshops and rehearsals as musicians learn the world of big band jazz. Camp faculty includes top jazz musicians from around the country, who have played with big names such as Maynard Ferguson, Doc Severinsen, the Metroplexity Big Band and Woody Herman. This year’s special guest is NYC jazz and rock trombonist - Tom "Bones" Malone. Students must be at least 13 years old with at least one year of study on their instrument. All events will be at the Spring Creek Campus, 2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway in Plano. Cost is $265 or $310 with lunch. For information and a PDF application, call Kris Berg, professor of jazz studies, at 972.881.5108 or email email@example.com .
SUMMER SCHOOL REGISTRATION
On-line registration for High School Summer School is available NOW. Counselors must pre-approve courses in the registration portal. To register, visit with your counselor about course selections, then login to parent portal and complete the student emergency information from any computer with internet access. Courses pre-approved by the student’s counselor will be viewable and available for selection. Online registration and payment is the most efficient and convenient way to enroll in Summer School courses. Questions regarding registration can be directed to the campus counseling office.
- June 13 - June 30
- 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
- July 5 - July 22
- 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
- July 1, July 4
- Note: On the last day of each session students will be released at 10:00 am.
- Only one absence is permitted per session.
Plano East Senior High School, 3000 Los Rios Blvd, Plano TX 75074
- English, Spanish, Math, Communication Applications and SAT-PSAT Preparation Classes.
Plano West Senior High School, 5601 West Parker Road, Plano, TX 75093
- Social Studies, Science, Physical Education and Health.
For a comprehensive list of High School Summer School course offerings, visit:http://www.pisd.edu/students/summer.school/high.school.shtm
COLLEGE APPLICATION REMINDERS
Seniors, many of you are in the process of working on your college applications so here are some important reminders:
- use the Common Application if the college accepts it
- you must connect your Common Application to your Naviance account (for the school to send your transcript, the school report and recommendation letters)
- you must sign the FERPA waiver before your teacher and counselor can send your recommendation letter
- all recommendation letters must formally be requested in Naviance
- request all teacher letters of recommendation in Naviance ( Colleges Tab--- Colleges I’m Applying To). Make sure to talk to your teachers as well!
- you must complete and submit a blue packet to your counselor for school reports and recommendations at least three weeks before your deadline
- if you no longer need a recommendation letter from a teacher please have the courtesy to cancel the request in Naviance and to let the teacher know in person.
- all transcript requests must be requested in Naviance.
- if you are no longer going to apply to a school remove it from "Colleges I am Applying To"
- don't wait until the last minute to complete your application
GRADUATION ORDERS PICK-UP
JROTC needs YOU!
The JROTC Booster club board has several members with children graduating and is looking to fill open booster club positions. Commitment is minimal - 1 meeting a month that typically lasts 30-60 minutes. Most positions only require about 30 minutes on top of that. (Hospitality requires a bit more but only during meet season) We are looking to fill the following positions: Fundraising, Membership and 2 Hospitality positions. If you would like to learn more and/or have any interest, please contact Heidi Holguin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*IMPORTANT* PISD STANDARD RESPONSE PROTOCOL
Parents: PLEASE READ the attachments from PISD safety and security about the Standard Response Protocol in case of an emergency. Thank you!
PLANO ISD INFOCENTER
SchoolMessenger has been updated to now include the InfoCenter mobile app. This allows our parents to login and control how they receive communications from their school or district.
The InfoCenter app provides access to all their messages and information sent by PISD (campus and district). This will be accessible from any internet-enabled device and visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for review and reference. InfoCenter app also allows parents to customize how they receive communications from us. Parents have been asking for this and it will help them get messaging the way they want to receive it.
Parent will sign up for the InfoCenter app using the email address that they have on file with the district. This is the one they provide on the emergency card.
They will download the InfoCenter SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. They can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
We have provided a link on the online Emergency Card (Parent/Guardian Information tab) with all the information they will need to sign up if they choose to do this. Here is what they now see.
The contact information you provide below (Email Address and Phone Numbers) is used for school communication to you, either individually or in mass. Our automated notification system has a website and apps for iPhone and Android that will allow you to specify how the notification system contacts you. This link for the SchoolMessenger InfoCenter will open in a new browser window or tab and you’ll use the email address you have provided to us below to log in. Be sure to finish your child’s emergency card first and always be sure to sign on the last tab. Once complete, explore the InfoCenter and let us know if you have any questions.
Let me know if you have any questions....
Below is some verbiage that you may wish to use for your newsletters.
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What’s in InfoCenter?:Once you’ve created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you’d like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
~ ~ ~ PSHS...TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE ~ ~ ~
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: