Top TEN News @ Weston
August 9th, 2019
2. FAMILY EDUCATION AND PRIVACY RIGHTS ACT: The law guarantees your family rights to privacy in school matters. You must notify the principal by September 1, or within fifteen days of enrollment (whichever is later in the school year) if you do not want your child's photo or name to appear in school-sponsored publications. This includes, newsletters, school directories, honor roll or awards lists, promotion rosters, athletic programs, etc.
3. We will begin using School Dismissal Manager on August 19th. This online system will help organize our dismissal process. All GCSC K-6 students will use this for their daily dismissal communication. You should have received a welcome email from School Dismissal Manager today. We found out today that a glitch on the back end of the program is telling parents there is NOT any students attached to them. This will be resolved on Monday. Watch the video below to learn more about the program.
4. We are looking for adult volunteers interested in helping us grow our 3rd graders through reading with them on a weekly basis. Learn more at uwci.org/readup/ @uwci
5. We will continue our first round of NWEA assessments next week. All grades K-10 will participate in this online assessment. See the attached letter that can explain the process and what to expect.
6. Employment: GC still has several positions open. One is an Instructional Assistant at Weston. Please check out these opportunities by visiting the postings on our district employment page or click on this link: https://www.applitrack.com/gcsc/onlineapp/
7. This year we are using the Weston Way as our building-wide expectations. Ask your kids about it and watch the video below to learn more.
8. This week we had three separate safety drills: Fire, Tornado, and Lockdown. See the Standard Response Protocol flyer below to learn more about the GCCSC plan for safety.
9. On Monday we will have visitors from Kakuda, Japan. They are students participating in our ‘Sister City’ exchange program.
10. Over the summer, 74 students from Weston participated in the Hancock County Public Library’s summer reading club. Forty students completed the program by reading five or more hours in June and July. Below is a list of those 40 students!
Over 2,000 kids joined the reading program and read for a total of 1,290,000 minutes. Thank you for your help in promoting this literacy effort in your homes.
HCPL Summer Reading Club
NWEA Assessment Info
From Dr. Olin
Golden Girls & Jr. Blue Fusion
2019-2020 School Calendar (updated 8/10/19)
The 2020-2021 School Calendar can be found at https://www.gcsc.k12.in.us/