September 2, 2019
Happy Labor Day!
Thank you for your support!
See below for some general reminders about school procedures:
- All students who are brought to school by car should be dropped off in the car rider line in the mornings. Please do not drop students off by the cafeteria. We have no supervision on that side of the building and we don't want any students to be unsupervised.
- Since our students are older, there may not always be an adult or car greeter to open your child's individual door. Your child is welcome to get out of the car by him/herself so our line continues to move in the morning. There will always be an adult supervising the car rider line but you don't need to wait for someone to open the door before unloading. This helps get our students inside quickly and limits traffic backups
- Our car rider line is quicker each day and in a few days we will meet our goal of 2:45.
- Thank you for having your green car rider card displayed in your car window each day.
- If the green card is forgotten, then you will be asked to park. You will need to go to the main office and show ID. Please make sure to share this procedure with anyone new that you are sending to pick up your child. Also make sure that the person you send is listed on your child's pick up list!
- Students have started helping with car duty! If your child gets out of the car or loads the car on the driver's side, then the student on car duty will not help due to safety concerns.
- We also ask that your child walks IN FRONT of your car when unloading or loading since you will be more aware of your personal child's location than another parent who may not realize they are walking around your car.
- Even though there may be room, please DO NOT pass a car in the car rider line since some students will exit on the driver's side of the car.
- Students are walkers if they are physically walking off of our campus with their parent/guardian. You could be walking home or down Main Street to the library but your car should not be parked on our campus. This is to limit the congestion at the gym door and to ensure that our staff members on duty can quickly begin the afternoon dismissal procedures.
- Parents who park in the lower school parking lot or by the cafeteria and try to pick up as a 'walker' will be asked to join the car rider line.
- Thank you for your patience as our bus drivers are working towards consistent pick up and drop off times. Remember that we share buses with Weaverville Primary School, North Windy Ridge and North Buncombe Middle School. If you have a bus concern, your first contact should be to Weaverville Elementary so we can address your concern and coordinate with the other schools if needed.
Changes in Transportation
- Please remember that we do not take Transportation changes over the phone, email, ClassDojo, etc.
- If you have an emergency regarding transportation, please call the main office. We will initiate a phone call back to your number that we have on file in the office so we can verify that we are actually speaking with you. Make sure to have your phone numbers updated at all times!
- If you need to change your child's transportation, please send in a note with your child's first and last name and a detail description of the change. This may include the bus number and/or address of the drop off location or the full name of the child they are going home with. The note should include the date and your signature. All notes are reviewed and approved in the office.
Thank you to these leaders for serving as Car Greeters!
Bus Information Reminder
Starting on Tuesday, September 3rd, Bus 292 will not run the morning route. If your child had a change in the bus number or a substantial change in the bus pick up time, a letter was sent home.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time. Please know that both schools are working diligently to address this issue.
A note from our PTO President Jennifer Banks
Parents of Weaverville Primary and Elementary students,
Please plan to join us at the first PTO meeting of the 2019-20 School Year. We have a lot to discuss!
Tuesday, Sept 3rd (right after the Labor Day holiday!)
Weaverville PRIMARY School, in the Media Center
Yes, we will have coffee and door prizes again this year! I hope you are able to join us.
Wishing you an enjoyable long weekend,
President, Weaverville Schools PTO
PS. We will be meeting the first Tuesday of every month. For our next meeting on October 1st, there will be both a morning and evening option!
Information regarding our Yearbook Cover Design Contest will be coming soon! If your child is interested, they may want to start brainstorming ideas!
Weaverville Elementary School Improvement Team
The WvES School Improvement Team is the decision making body of our school. They review data, surveys, feedback and then work collaboratively to make decisions that best meet the needs of our students. Thank you to all of the parents who were willing to serve on this team! This year your parent representatives on the School Improvement Team are Auburn Stowe and Tiffany Franklin.
Weaverville Elementary Advisory Council
The WvES Advisory Council is a group of parents who meet quarterly with the principal to discuss things going on in the school and to provide feedback. This is another group of parent leaders who are willing to listen to your ideas and questions. Our 2019-2020 Advisory Council Members are: Jennifer Banks (parent of a 3rd grader), Heather Weaver (parent of a 3rd grader), Emily Clark (parent of a 2nd grader) and Marci Brigman (parent of a 2nd grader and 4th grader). Mrs. Sarah Harrison is our teacher representative and our 2019-2020 Teacher of the Year!
Lunch Choices - the Menu for 2019-2020 starts on September 9th
*Fruit & Yogurt Salad
*Cucumbers w/ Ranch
*Steamed Brocc w/ cheese
Cool Tropics Slush
*Chicken & Waffles
*Hamburger Steak w/Gravy
*Japanese Cherry Blossom Chicken
*Ginger glazed carrots
*Creamy Rotini w/ chicken
*Pep or cheese pizza
The PowerSchool Student and Parent portal gives parents access to real-time information including attendance, grades & detailed assignment descriptions. Please note that our 2nd grade teachers do not use the gradebook connected to the parent portal.
Our PTO Blackhawks Fun Run is coming soon!
Parents and Families - In just a few weeks, we’re partnering with our wonderful PTO volunteers and Boosterthon to power our Blackhawks Fun Run program! This year, PTO is taking on more of the ownership for this event which will bring more profit to the Weaverville Schools PTO! Your help is needed in making our event the best ever! Check out this video for a brief overview of this event! https://vimeo.com/342370792/f0b976288a
Blackhawks PTO Fun Run - Kickoff on September 23 & Fun Run on October 4!
September 2 - Labor Day Holiday - No School
September 4 - BOG Reading Test for 3rd Grade Students
September 9 - Box Tops Summer Sweet Treat (please bring in 25 Box Tops by Friday)
September 17 - Early Dismissal Day for Teacher Professional Learning; School will dismiss at 12:25.
September 20 - STREAM Clubs (during the day student clubs - 8:15 - 9:15) and School-wide HAWKS Huddle at 1 PM in the Gym
September 23 - PTO Blackhawks Fun Run Pep Rally & Kickoff! (more information to come)
September 24 - Open House and Curriculum Night (more information to come); Title 1 Annual Meeting
September 27 - Bomb Safety Evacuation Drill
October 4 - PTO Blackhawks Fun Run! (more information to come)
October 11 - School Pictures
October 28 - No School - Professional Development Day for teachers
October 30 - Health Fair