Green & Growing
Franklin County 4-H News - October 7, 2022
Ohio 4-H Family Guides Now Available
Copies of the Family Guide will be mailed to all of last year's 4-H families in the next couple of months. Advisors wishing to have copies for new members can pick some up at the Extension Office beginning in November.
Congratulations, 4-H Members!
4-H Council By-Law Update & Meeting
The November 2022 4-H Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 16, 2022, at the Franklin County Extension Office at 7:00pm.
During the meeting, members will have the opportunity to review and vote on proposed updates to 4-H Council By-Laws. We will are also looking for nominations for officers. Please consider lending your hands to larger service by serving on the Franklin County 4-H Council.
Note that each club has a vote at 4-H Council meetings. Please make sure your club is represented.
Carving New Ideas Teen Workshop
Carving New Ideas (CNI) is a statewide camping opportunity that focuses on workforce development, future forward thinking, and program facilitation for 4-H members in grades 8-12. Campers develop their leadership skills while making new friends from across Ohio. Held at 4-H Camp Ohio, this fall camping experience fosters new ways of thinking as older youth begin to look toward their future careers and education paths. Hosted by Collegiate 4-H at The Ohio State University, Collegiate 4-H members serve as session presenters, camp counselors, advisors, and more.
CARVING NEW IDEAS 2022 IS NOV. 18-20 AT 4-H CAMP OHIO!
- It's Game Show Mania with activities and opportunities to match
- The fee is $75
- Registration closes 10/25
Franklin County 4-H Camp Counselors
Applications are now available. The process will also require a club advisor form regarding your club involvement along with an interview.
**There are a limited number of positions**
Due to the success of the program (camp) and the large number of applications, not everyone who completes the application process will receive a position.
Requirements: youth who are 14 years old by camp can apply. Applicants should have:
- good attendance with their 4-H Club
- demonstrate their attention to deadlines at the club level
- completed a 4-H project in 2022
- if they have attended camp, but aren't a 4-H member, they need to have contacted a club and have plans for club membership
- to prioritize camp meetings in their schedule
- new counselors should plan to attend 30-40 hours of training/meetings
- returning counselors need to have a minimum of 24 hours of training/meetings
- to fully participate in the activities at meetings and to attend Camp Counselor Workshop (weekend in April)
- to practice camp songs, games, dances
- be actively involved in planning one evening recreation at camp and help lead classes
- plan to attend camp in its entirety including set-up and clean-up (June 13-17, 2023)
- and many more that will be shared and discussed with applicants and their parents
Franklin County Teen Leaders Council
You’re Invited to apply to be on the Franklin County Teen Leaders Council for 2023. We are looking for Franklin County 4-H members who are at least 13 years old or in the 7th grade. Our meetings will mostly be held on the 4th or 5th Tuesday of every month from 6:30-8:30.
The Teen Leaders Council is a Franklin County 4-H club that focuses on preparing teens to be caring and contributing leaders through educational and leadership opportunities. Other opportunities will include fun outings and service-learning projects.
Tentative Teen Leaders Council Calendar
(All Dates and Times are subject to change)
January 24, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
February 28, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
March 28, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
April 25, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
September 26, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
October 24, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
November 28, 2023 6:30-8:30pm
Interested in applying to serve on the Franklin County Teen Leaders Council?
(2022 members must reapply.)
Franklin County Fashion Board
They meet monthly (January - July), often on Sunday afternoons in Hilliard but have also planned other dates/times when attending field trips and exhibits.
Requirements: Open to 4-H clothing members (with at least one year of construction experience) who are at least 12 years of age (by 1/1/23)! The board is looking for bright, motivated 4-H'ers who want to learn more about clothing and textiles.
- help with a station at the Winter Project Fair
- help plan and conduct a county sewing workshop
- organize at least one event for Franklin County clothing participants
- read the fair fashion review narration cards
- assist with various activities surrounding the judging and the fashion review
Fill out the application today!
Deadline to apply 12/1/2022
They typically meet the first or second Tuesday, monthly, at the Franklin County Extension Office.
Requirements: Youth must have their driver's license or temps with plan to get their license.
- Teen drivers interested in leadership / community service opportunities should join CARTEENS!
- Use your skills to teach court mandated teens with driving offenses once a month.
- Items like gift cards and college scholarships are great incentives for CARTEENS members.
No application is required. Contact Sue Hogan for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National 4-H Council has announced the launch of the fall 2022 4-H Paper Clover Campaign in partnership with Tractor Supply Company (TSC). The fall 2022 4-H Paper Clover Campaign will take place October 5th-16th. Shoppers at all Franklin County TSC stores will have the opportunity to support 4-H in Franklin County by choosing to purchase paper clovers for $1 or more at checkout. All funds raised will be donated to 4-H and will support Franklin County 4-H camp scholarships and leadership activities.
4-H Volunteer / Club Advisor Orientation
Are you or someone you know interested in becoming a 4-H Volunteer and helping a 4-H Club? 4-H Advisors must be screened Ohio 4-H Volunteers. This process takes several steps. One of which is to attend an orientation. Two are currently scheduled for the 2021-2022 4-H year.
October 24, 2022, 6:30pm (Extension Office)
February 13, 2023, 6:30pm (Extension Office)
If you are interested in attending the orientation please contact Rachel Stoneburner at email@example.com to register.
If you would like to start the process to apply to be a 4-H advisor, click HERE for the application.
4-H Dog Club Open House
Date: October 15, 2022
Time: 10am - 2pm
Location: West Campus Quad - 1090 Carmack Road, Columbus, Ohio 43210
More Info: https://u.osu.edu/stemimpact/westfest/
OSU Extension, Franklin
For an accessible format of this publication, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.