First Grade News
Monday, May 30th - Friday, May 4th
Mrs. Le's First Grade
We Have Been Working On...
Below is a letter from Ms. Ellwood about her teaching week.
These past few weeks have been very enjoyable. I have had so much fun teaching your child. I had the opportunity to teach Math, Science, and Social Studies. We have been learning about halves, fourths, time to the half hour, and both 2-d and 3-d shapes. Before going on the anticipated zoo field trip, your child was in charge of researching a habitat with a group. They were all researching to become experts. We used books and iPads to do the research. I had students use QR codes on the iPads. The QR codes are similar to bar codes. When scanning the QR codes a website pops up. We used an app called QR reader and they all loved it. I had the most fun seeing their excitement as they used a new aspect of technology. They researched the animals that lived in their habitat, interesting facts, words to describe their habitat, and where their habitat was located. After all their hard work, they put together their project and each group got to share with others who were not in their group. I learned lots of new facts from your little the habitat expert!
I am sad my time in Mrs. Le's classroom is almost over. I have loved being in the classroom with your sweet first grader. I am going to miss them!
We visited with Mrs. Miller, the art teacher, this week to work on an end of the year project. We reviewed the elements of art and began creating a hot air balloon art piece. We will see her again next week to complete the project! We had our First Grade Oklahoma City Zoo Field Trip this week and it was a hit! The children seemed to really enjoy seeing some of the animals they have researched for their habitat project. Thank you to all the chaperoning parents who attended our field trip! I could not have done it without you all! We had a special author visit at Monroe on Thursday, Mr. David Titus, a story teller who uses string. Ask your little one about his visit! We visited with our book buddies this week to read to them our Mo Willems stories. The children really enjoyed sharing their inspired stories with their kindergarten book buddies. You can check out their books in the hallway!
Ask Me About...
- What was your favorite part about going on our field trip the Oklahoma City Zoo?
- What was your favorite part about Super Kids Day?
- Who was your Super Kids Day partner and what was your favorite game played?
- Practice telling time by the half hour.
- Get a deck of cards, take out the cards with numbers and play Salute!
- Get on Xtra Math and Smarty Ants!
- Practice adding two digit numbers using a number grid.
- Practice simple addition facts between 1-10.
Week of May 7th - 11th
- Writers Workshop Routines
- Phonics: wr-, gr-, kn-
- Review Data
- Number Grid Puzzles
- Mentally Finding 10 More or 10 Less
- Monday: Chinese with Mrs. Wu
- Wednesday: Guidance with Ms. Kirk
- Wednesday: Library with Mrs. Hutcherson
- Thursday: Art with Mrs. Miller
- Friday: Good Morning Monroe
Tuesday, May 15th
Good Morning Monroe Senior Day
Wednesday, May 16th
Friday, May 18th at 1:15 pm
Thursday, May 24th at 8:00 am
Memorial Day - No School!
Monday, May 28th
Last Day of First Grade :(
Thursday, May 31st