AT A GLANCE
October 5, 2015 :: 8 Items
The Georgia Art Education Association names the top educators in Visual Art's instruction each year for the State of Georgia.
The 2015 announcement of the award winners includes three Gwinnett County Public Schools Visual Arts Teachers!
- Elementary Art Educator of the Year: Amber Arnold, Level Creek Elementary
- Middle Level Art Educator of the Year: Linn Zamora, Summerour Middle School
- and the overall Art Educator of the Year for the State of Georgia: Kathleen Jackson, Central Gwinnett High School
We are proud of you Amber!
What is the Gradual Release Model? It is an often heard term, but what does it mean?
The Gradual Release Model is an instructional model where teachers strategically transfer the responsibility in the learning process from the teacher to the students (Fisher & Frey). Typically, the model of teaching has four phases:
- I DO- where the teacher models the lesson objective in a focus lesson
- WE DO- guided instruction with both input from the teacher and the students
- YOU DO TOGETHER: Collaborative learning in small groups or partners
- YOU DO ALONE- independent practice.
The video below will show you exactly what it looks like in a classroom.
When was the last time you used this model?
We are at the stage where eCLASS homework or classwork (see below) should be in effect. This will increase the amount of time both students and teachers spend on eCLASS. If you need help, Tracy is the one for you!
Mr. Wilbanks is directly looking at school's eCLASS usage. If you need assistance let Tracy know and she can help you. Keep up the good work!
eCLASS Expectations for 15-16
- If you have a website (Weebly etc.) the link needs to be in eCLASS (the school's site will eventually not have website links to teacher (weebly, etc.) websites.
- Use eCLASS to assign classwork or homework at least once per week starting in October. This can be an assignment you would assign regularly - not "extra" homework.
- Use discussion boards at least 1x for Language Arts and 1x for Math each Semester
- Newsletters - by October newsletters need to be archived in eCLASS
I Can / EQ for students
- What are you learning?
All they have to do is reference their I Can statement or EQ. I am going to suggest this to them on the announcements.
- Ok, so how do you show or explain _____________?
They can give examples, show a problem, explain the steps, etc.
Hopefully, this will help you help kids focus on the intent of the learning. Let Helen, Cindy, and I know how it is working.
Mrs. Cheng translated 4 of our Chinese conferences this week. Thank you Queen!
From Angela Dennis - It was so nice to have Mrs. Cheng help us and she was great!
From Kerri Griffin - Wonderful to have Mrs. Cheng!
From Kristin Neely - Qun was a great translator :)