Silver Springs Elementary School - December 11, 2017
Mark Your Calendars
It was fun to finally get the first snow fall! I hope everyone had fun getting outside to play in it! Children will go outside for recess every day unless the wind chill is below 0 (zero) degrees. Please help your child remember to wear a warm coat and bring snow pants, gloves, hat, scarf and boots so that recess will be an enjoyable time outdoors!
This Week’s Events:
December 11th - School Spirit Wear Day!
7:00 p.m. D.A.R.E Graduation at NHS Auditorium
December 14th - 3:50 - 5:15 p.m. Grades 3-5 After School Art
Next Week's Events:
December 18th - School Spirit Wear Day!
December 19th - 3:50 - 5:15 p.m. Grades K-2 After School Art
December 21st - Credit Union Deposit Day
Follow us on Twitter @sspringselem or by clicking on the following link:
Have a great week!
Katie Booth, Principal
A Message from the Principal...
Leadership Day was a huge success! The families of new students that attended found the day to be extremely informative as they learned about the 7-Habits. It was a perfect audience for our student leaders to share their leadership and knowledge of the 7-Habits with.
We would also like to thank those families that donated items for breakfast and snack. We couldn't have done it without you! Thank you for being role models for all of us!
Carpool Lane - Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- Please pull your car all the way forward to the end of the loop, come to a complete stop, and allow students to exit the vehicle. Pulling all the way forward will help to alleviate the back up onto Silver Springs Drive, particularly on the days that it is cold, snowy, or rainy.
- Have your child(ren) kissed and ready to exit the vehicle when you reach the unloading zone. Please stay in your car. Only children should exit the vehicle. Students should only exit the vehicle on the passenger side.
- The second bell (tardy) rings at 8:46 a.m. and all doors will be locked. If you arrive after this time, you must park your car and sign your child(ren) into school at the front office.
- The grass at the end of the loop is a NO PARKING zone. Parking here creates a back up and is not safe for students. If you would like to park, please use a regular parking spot.
- Please pull your car all the way forward to the end of the loop, come to a complete stop, and allow students to get into the vehicle. Pulling all the way forward will help to alleviate the back up onto Silver Springs Drive, particularly on the days that it is cold, snowy, or rainy.
- Display your Family Name Card on the right side of your dashboard for easy recognition.
- Pick up your child(ren) in the designated loading zone only.
- Do not exit your vehicle to load your child(ren) as these are moving loading zones only. If you need to help your child(ten) with seatbelts, please park in one of the parking spots.
Here's to a safe and seamless arrival and dismissal.
Holiday Ornament Painting Craft
Looking for some holiday fun? Have your child paint an ornament on Wednesday, December 20th from 3:45 – 5 PM in the MPR. Limit one ornament per child ($10). See attached flyer for more information. Please return forms by December 18th.
Invest In Your Child Update
If you still haven’t made a donation to the IIYC campaign, please reconsider. This is our main and most important fundraiser of the year. The money goes directly to the PTA and is 100% tax deductible.
Thank you to all the families who have generously contributed to the campaign this year. We are hoping to raise at least $10,000 by the end of December to at least meet last year’s contributions. We have raised a little over $9,000 so far.
Our STAR families who have invested in their child and helped all the students and teachers at Silver Springs now have a STAR on the display case in the lobby.
Thank you for helping make a difference!
Silver Springs Holiday Cookie Exchange
We still need some volunteers to bake/make some holiday goodies/treats for the staff on Thursday, December 14th. Please use the Sign Up Genius link below.
Thank you for helping spread holiday cheer to all the Silver Springs staff.
Don’t forget to order your Silver Springs Spirit Wear!
Check out the Silver Springs Spirit Wear web store by clicking here. The online store closes on December 15th so don’t miss out! Every Monday is School Spirit Day so order your Silver Springs spirit wear to show your Eagle pride! Orders should arrive by mid January.
Remember every Monday is Spirit WearDay.
Let’s start 2018 with a lot of SCHOOL SPIRIT!
Please see the attachment for images of the spirit wear!
Duel In The D Order Forms Due Friday, December 15th!
Make sure to return your order forms with Cash or Check (Payable to Silver Springs PTA) for the Silver Springs Family Night at the new Little Caesars Arena for the MI State vs. MI college hockey game. The order forms were in your child’s Red Wings folder from the assembly.
7 Habits at Home Activity for December
This month’s Habit: Habit 2 Begin With the End in Mind
Activity: Gantt Chart
Due Date: December 22nd
Supporting the The 7 Habits at home!
Habit #2 Begin with the End in Mind- "I have a plan"
What this means: Have a mission, a clear sense of where you want to go. Think about the end first- how are you going to get there?
“I plan ahead and set goals.”
“I do things that have meaning and make a difference”
“I am important part of my classroom.”
“I look for ways to be a good citizen.”
How can I do this in my life?
1. Write down your goals. It is said that "A goal not written is only a wish.”
2. Lay out your clothes for tomorrow the night before.
3. Write down 3 goals you want to accomplish.
Great Books for Habit #2 - Begin With the End in Mind
- The BFG by Roald Dahl
- When I Grow Up by Sean Covey
- Click Clack Moo Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
- Little Bunny on the Move by Peter McCarty
- The School Story by Andrew Clements
- Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto
- Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse