By: Sofia M B1
What does it mean to be invisible? How can you raise awareness about invisible populations?
There are many invisible populations, people unseen by the world around us. People are considered invisible if they are ignored by the people around them, or feel as if they are unheard/unseen.
Things Not Seen
- “‘Most people just try to avoid me, especially other kids. It’s like they pretend not to notice’” (Clements, 80)
- This shows invisibility because Alicia felt ignored because of her disability, she felt as if people pretended she did not exist.
- “Everything we owned was neatly packed in cardboard boxes.” (Jiménez, 66)
- The kids in this story were invisible because they were constantly moving around, they were never really acknowladged by those around them and were invisible because they were hidden from the rest of the world.
- “But these kids are often invisible, crashing with their families on friends’ couches, sleeping in all-night diners or hopping from motel to motel from week to week.” (Homeless Children, 1)
- This shows that homeless children are invisible. They are unseen by those around them because they are constantly moving around, trying not to be acknowladged by the world around them.
How to raise awareness
You can raise awareness about invisible populations by volunteering or donating to organizations designed to help them. Some of these organizations include;
- Dorothy Day
- Relay For Life