Cordata Elementary School
September 2018 Newsletter
Positive Discipline at school and Positive Parenting at home!
Hello Cordata families, from your school counselor, Mr. Dan!
Cordata will be offering a series of family and parent programs this year as a way to invite families into the school and share with you information about how we work with your children, effective methods for helping children to become capable contributing members of their home and school communities, important considerations for social, emotional and skill development and much more!
We will be kicking off the series with a three-night series on parenting in a positive way. Cordata staff have all been trained in classroom management strategies and discipline response that uses this same approach. Research tells us that children are hardwired from birth to connect with others, and that children who feel a sense of connection to their community, family, and school are less likely to misbehave. This approach helps them to become successful, contributing members of their community. We know that children must learn necessary social and life skills and that discipline must be taught and that discipline teaches.
You will learn how to:
- Be Kind and Firm at the same time. (Respectful and encouraging)
- Help children feel a sense of Belonging and Significance. (Connection)
- Use an approach that is Effective Long-Term. (Punishment works short term, but has negative long-term results.)
- Teach your kids valuable Social and Life Skills for good character. (Respect, concern for others, problem-solving, accountability, contribution, cooperation)
- Help your children to discover how Capable they are and to use their personal power in constructive ways.
Classes will be taught in both English and Spanish.
- Spanish language classes will be offered September 18th, 25th and October 2nd.
- English language lessons will be offered October 9th, 16th and 23rd.
- Dinner from 6-6:30
- Class from 6:30 to 8:30 (Childcare provided)
Garden Education is starting up soon!
Cordata Elementary is fortunate to work with Common Threads, a local nonprofit that connects kids to healthy foods through hands on gardening and cooking education. Each year, we have a Garden Educator who works with our children throughout the year. Read on for an introduction from our new Garden Educator, Margo Heffron:
Hello! My name is Margo Heffron, I’m delighted to join the Cordata community as the new Common Threads AmeriCorps Food Educator. This fall, students in Kindergarten through 5th grade will explore and learn in the garden classroom as they help build healthy soil, save seeds, plant cover crop, and enjoy the harvest! A huge THANKS to all who helped care for the garden during the summer! If you’d like to volunteer in the garden (for lessons or garden maintenance) please let me know: email@example.com.
Save the date for the 9th Annual School Harvest Dinner (hosted at Whatcom Middle School) Thursday, October 25th, 5-7pm.
Mark your calendars!
- Sept. 10 - 1st General PTA Meeting - Cordata Music room from 5:30-6:45 pm - Childcare is provided
- Sept. 13 - Open House for grades 3 through 5 - 6:00-7:00 pm
- Sept. 14 thru 16 - PTA fundraiser at Menchies
- Sept. 18, Sept. 25, and Oct. 2 - Parenting in a Positive Way class taught in Spanish - Dinner at 6:00 pm, class from 6:30-8:30
- Sept. 25 - Individual Student Picture Day
- Sept. 27 - Open House for kindergarten through 2nd grade - 6:00-7:00 pm
- October 5 - Pumpkin Fun Run sponsored by our PTA
- Oct. 9, 16 and 23 - Parenting in a Positive Way class taught in English - Dinner at 6:00 pm, class from 6:30-8:30
Keep reading below for more details about upcoming PTA events!
Cordata PTA News
PTA General Meeting
Monday, Sept. 10th from 5:30-6:45pm in the Music Room. Free childcare with activities and light snacks/refreshments will be provided at the meeting. Come meet new families, learn about what the PTA does and find out about our upcoming events. (You do not need to be a member to attend)
Box Tops = $.10 each! Be on the lookout for the Box Tops flyer with information on what to do, list of products, collection dates, and contest dates for individual students and the class. The PTA has even included a reusable bag to help you make clipping easier. (Box Tops have expiration dates so be sure to turn them in before they expire)
Pumpkin Fun Run
Save the date for Friday, October 5th. This is our biggest annual fundraiser of the year. It helps support the PTA's programs for the school year. Packets with more detailed information on run schedule, how to volunteer and prizes will come home later this month.