CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
March 4, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
Mask Mandate Change
As of this upcoming Monday, March 7, 2022, the state mandate requiring in school universal masking will be expired. Please refer to the outlined points from Dr. Da Giau's March 2nd correspondence as your family makes an informed decision regarding mask-wearing at school. As a school, we will continue to implement strategies to prevent the spread of Covid-19 within our schools. These strategies include encouraging hand hygiene, distancing students as much as practicable, increasing air ventilation, and maintaining our cleaning protocols. Please reach out to Ms. Santa or Mrs. McCarthy if you have any questions or concerns.
At the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
Thank You Grade 8 Students
Marking Period 4 Curriculum Extension Selections
Please see the descriptions of the possible CE choices below. We will do our best to get students into their first choice, but it is not guaranteed.
GRADE 6: OTIS-LENNON SCHOOL ABILITY TEST (OLSAT)
This year, the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT) will be administered to all Grade 6 students on Tuesday, March 22nd. The OLSAT assessment is designed to measure a student's cognitive ability, as it relates to abstract thinking and reasoning ability; however, it does not produce an IQ score. Although the data from the OLSAT will not be used for grading purposes, the results help to identify students who qualify for LEAP, our gifted and talented program, while also providing teachers with additional data points regarding student ability and performance.
If your child becomes eligible for the LEAP Program, the school will contact you. If you are interested in your child’s test results, once they become available in early May, please contact Mrs. Hwang, our LEAP Teacher, at email@example.com.
No special preparation is necessary for this assessment. We just encourage our middle schoolers to do their best!
Please contact the school with any questions you may have.
8th Grade Reminders
- All Grade 8 students have been invited to join Mrs. DeSciora's Google Classroom 8th Grade Trip page. Please refer to that page for all trip information.
- The payment for the Grade 8 Philadelphia Trip is due on Tuesday, March 8th.
- For the link to “Cancel of Any Reason” Student Travel Protection Plan, please click HERE.
- The payment information for the Grade 8 Trip to Sharpe will be provided soon.
Do you want to perform at the CDW Coffee House?
WE NEED PERFORMERS!
- Do you like to perform music?
- Do you want dance?
- Do you like to tell jokes?
- Do you have poetry to share?
- Do you want to be a part of something amazing at CDW?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, and you would like to perform at CDW's Coffee House on April 13th, see Mr. Rosolanko!
Read Across America at CDW
Old Tappan Broadcasting Network (OTBN)
The Old Tappan Broadcasting Network Club is a true gem at CDW! Led by Mr. Johnson, the Grade 8 students in OTBN Club run our morning announcements show, which streams live every morning on YouTube. Students prepare the script, run the teleprompter, and change graphics behind the scenes, while on-camera talent reads the news, weather, Pledge of Allegiance, and important announcements for the day. This club is run by 8th graders, but 7th graders will have the opportunity to transition into taking over near the end of the school year.
To learn more about OTBN, or to catch a morning broadcast, check out the website HERE.
LEAP: InVengineering Expo
On Tuesday, 5th and 6th grade LEAP students participated in the virtual InVengineering Expo. They competed against students from Englewood Cliffs, Haworth, Northvale, and Norwood. Over the past several months, they have worked in teams to collaboratively design, plan, and build a truss bridge with balsa wood and wood glue. In addition to building the bridge, teams created a photo journal and skit. On Expo Day, bridges were destructively tested to determine design efficiency. This was calculated by dividing the force applied by the weight of the bridge.
Out of 13 teams, CDW placed 5th and 6th. Team "Balsa Builders" (Leila Hilmo, David Kim, Lauren Lombino, and Marie Tenebruso) came in 5th place and Team "Survivors" (Isabella Duan, Nathan Folk, Ethan Kahanov, Lana Khan, and Amily Miranda) came in 6th place.
Congratulations to these students for their hard work and success at the InVengineering Expo!
After the students looked at all of the bridges that were turned in for the Expo, they completed a reflection sheet.
The students had to explain which bridges they felt were the most efficient, and why!
The students then watched the video of their own bridges being weighed! They then used the formula, mentioned above, to figure out the efficiency of their bridge.
Student Government Spirit Week: March 14th-18th
Monday, March 14th~ Pajama Day
Tuesday, March 15th~ Team Jersey Day
Wednesday, March 16th~ College Apparel Day
Thursday, March 17th~ St. Patrick's Day (Wear Green or CDW Spirit Wear)
Friday, March 18th~ Neon Day
CDW Musical: Donations Needed
CDW’s production of Fiddler on the Roof Jr. is looking for donations to create props, scenery, and costumes. Donations can be dropped off at the main office. Please make sure to indicate that the items are for the musical so that the office knows where to send them. We thank you in advance for your support!
Please look at the list of items needed HERE.
CDW Choir to Perform at the NVOT Choral Extravaganza
CDW Student Places 1st in the Division and 2nd in the Nation for Archery
Mr. L's Updates
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
Assemblies with Dr. Fowlin- March 23rd & March 24th
Wednesday, March 23rd
5th Grade~ 8:45 AM
6th Grade~ 12:45 PM
Thursday, March 24th
7th Grade~ 8:45 AM
8th Grade~ 1:45 PM
**PARENT ASSEMBLY~ 6:30-7:30 pm**
Intramural Sports Program
Ms. Brock - Intramural Dates & Activities
March through April - BASKETBALL
May through June - RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Remember, the intramural program runs throughout the year so medical information can be submitted when your child wants to join. Please submit all PPE / HHQ documents to Mrs. McCarthy (McCarthy@nvnet.org) and forward all intramural-related emails to Ms. Brock (Brockl@nvnet.org).
All of this information can also be found in the Student Handbook.
BERGEN SCI CHALLENGE 2022: COMPETITIVE SCIENCE FAIR FOR GRADES 5-8
Does your child(ren) have a passion for science, want to learn and create, and/or want to be mentored by Bergen County Academy research students? If so, then see the information below.
The Bergen Sci Challenge is a competitive science fair open to all middle school students (grades 5-8) from Bergen and surrounding counties. The goal of this fair is to further instill a passion for science in young innovators and is run by BCA students. You can register with this link: https://sites.google.com/bergen.org/bergenscichallenge.
Please see the flyer below for more information.
Grades 5, 6, 7 Parents
Mrs. Richardson can be reached at 201-664-1475 ext 2203 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Speaking with Mrs. Richardson first will ensure a smooth application process.
Nex-Trex Plastic Recycling Challenge
As of February 18th, we have over 1,200 lbs. of plastic!!!
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Travel Quarantine Requirements- updated
The CDC has updated its guidelines regarding international travel. Starting November 8, students who travel internationally will not be required to quarantine following their return to the United States. The United States is requiring a negative Covid-19 test to re-enter the US (from any international destination), so quarantine will not be required. We still ask for families to monitor their child(ren) for symptoms upon their return and quarantine if symptoms surface.
You may visit the CDC Travel Website HERE.
ATTENTION ALL CDW PARENTS / GUARDIANS:
Please help keep our students safe during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up by practicing the following traffic rules.
1. Please do not enter the BOE parking to drop-off or pick-up your child(ren). Many of our students use that entrance to walk to their homeroom locations or pass through when walking home at the end of the day. We ask that you refrain from entering the BOE parking lot from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 2:30 PM to 3:10 PM.
2. Please do not drive through or park in any of the staff parking spots along Interschool Drive. Students should have a clear - safe - path to the sidewalk as they exit their vehicles.
3. If you drop your child(ren) off before the traffic cones on Interschool Drive, you can enter the right lane. This change in lanes will expedite your exit off school property.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) needs assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Thanks for keeping our kids safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, March 7th~ The Board of Education meeting will be in the Lynch Gym at 8:00 PM.
Wednesday, March 9th~ Marking Period 3 Interim Reports available at 12:00 PM.
Monday, March 14th-Friday, March 18th~ Student Government Spirit Week
Tuesday, March 22nd~ The PTO Meeting will be at 7:00 PM in the CDW Media Center.
Wednesday, March 23rd~ Dr. Fowlin Assembly for Grades 5 and 6
Wednesday, March 23rd~ Standardized Testing Parent Workshop with Dr. Da Giau 1PM & 7PM
Thursday, March 24th~ Dr. Fowlin Assembly for Grades 7 and 8; Parent Assembly at 6:30 PM
Monday, March 28th~ The Board of Education meeting will be in the Lynch Gym at 8:00 PM.
Wednesday, March 30th-Friday, April 1st~ 8th Grade Trip