A Meadow Vole's Pasture Life
Kaelin Bemis Hour 4
Interactions with Organisms
Air: Meadow Voles require air to breathe through their lungs, and if there are heavy winds they could be hurt or killed if they aren't in their burrows in the ground.
Land: Meadow Voles build burrows, by digging into the ground, creating pathways to travel through the field.
Seasons: Meadow Voles usually only live for a year to a year and a half. In the summers their diet consists of green vegetation and in the fall their diet consists of grains and seeds.
Primary Nutritional Needs
Basic overview of health
- The meadow vole has big fore claws to allow the vole to dig tunnels and create burrows
- The voles fur color is brown so that they can blend in with the soil and their surrounding to avoid predation
- Thicker longer hair on their bellies for protection
- Frequent reproduction because gestation only lasts 20 days and can breed immediately after they give birth
- Both genders of meadow voles are the same size and color, so that both easily blend in with their surroundings and aren't as easily preyed on because of larger size or brighter color
"Adaptions of the Meadow Vole." animals.mom.me. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2016. <http://animals.mom.me/adaptations-meadow-vole-8227.html>.
"The Immune System." aber.ac.uk. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2016. <http://www.aber.ac.uk/~dcswww/ISYS/immune_system.html>.
"Meadow Vole." Biokids.umich.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2016. <http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Microtus_pennsylvanicus/>.
"Meadow Vole." crittercontrol.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2016. <http://www.crittercontrol.com/services/voles/meadow-vole.html>.
"Meadow Vole." fcps.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2016. <http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/meadow_vole.htm>.
"Meadow Vole." Wikipedia.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_vole>.