Home of the Vikings- May 20, 2022
Are you following us on Facebook
Calendar of Events
May 30th~ No School- Memorial Day
May 31st~ Kindergarten Graduation 6:00-7:30 (increments by class)
Jun. 1st~ Field Day (see info below)
Jun. 3rd~ Last Day of School (Dismissal at 11:47)
Jun. 3rd~ Report Cards go home with Students
Jun. 20th~ PEAK Program begins at Vowles
Jun. 21st~Vowles Summer School Program begins
Vowles will be hosting our Field Day for students on Weds. June. 1st. Rain Date is Thurs. June 2nd.
What you need to know about this day:
- All School Family Lunch- Outside- 12:00-12:45 pm. Bring blankets, towels, or chairs to sit on. Some benches and tables will be available. Bring a lunch. Enjoy some time together.
- Students/Families can order a Sack Lunch from our Hot Lunch Program on the morning of Field Day or plan to bring their own lunch. Our Lunch Program will be offering a Turkey Sandwich lunch.
- Mrs. Long, an Usborne and More Books Representative will be on hand doing a mini Book Fair for students and families to purchase books before summer.
- Mrs. Brewer and staff have developed different scheduled times of the day for students to go out and have some fun Outdoors.
- Vowles PTO will be providing a snack and Inflatables for outdoor fun.
- Students will still be cohorted as normal.
- Watch the weather. You may want to apply sunscreen to your child before leaving the house that day as they will be outside a bit more than normal.
Summer Learning Opportunities
ALL students will come home the last week of school with the following:
- Grade Level Think Stretch Workbook~ FREE
- Grade Level pack of Scholastic Reading Books and activities for each story~ FREE
Vikings On a Voyage
- We will be sharing a summer program that allows some of staff to have specific neighborhood and apartment complex stops where students can join us, listen to a story, receive a book and also get their ThinkStretch Workbook glanced at.
Free Learning Workbook
2nd Graders Transitioning to 3rd Grade
2nd Grade Students will visit Fancher on Fri. May 27th in the afternoon. They will get a chance to tour the building, meet staff and do an activity or two while they are there. This fieldtrip is meant to help them transition and feel comfortable moving to their new school next year.
Have you Moved?
Have you recently moved? If so, please call our office so we can change your address for our records and to be sure any summer and Back to School mailings get to you.
If your address is no longer a Vowles address, you will need to fill out School of Choice paperwork to stay at Vowles School for the 2022-2023 School Year.
We want to ensure your child's enrollment and classroom placement for next year is not last minute and stressful for you. Please be sure to keep us updated throughout the summer. Leave us a message at 775-2280.
Spirit Wear Apparel for Students and Families
The example to the left is an actual example of a student's long sleeve sweatshirt. Shirts can be personalized on the back too!
DK - Discovery Museum (Wed. May 18)
Kindergarten & DK - Chipp-a-Waters Park 9:30-1:45 (Fri, May 27)
1st Grade to Potter’s Park (Fri. May 27th)
2nd Grade to Fancher (Fri May 27)
- Temperature of 100.4 degrees
- Sore Throat
- New uncontrolled cough causing difficulty breathing
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever
Please continue to communicate with your child's building of any new situations that affect your family by calling us at 989-775-2280 or emailing Mrs. Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org
For safety reasons, families will receive a phone call by 10:20 am for any student that is marked as Absent each morning in Power School. You can deter getting that call from our system by calling us in the morning to let us know of your child's absence and their reason for the absence.
Our codes we use for absences are:
Any absence that has not been reported by a parent or guardian and/or any absence that is not listed as an Excused Absence in Board Policy.
An absence that the parent verifies or explains. Example: (1) The student doesn’t feel well, and is staying home, but is not visiting the doctor. (2) The family is taking an extra long weekend, vacation, etc.
Absences that meet the definition of an Excused Absence based on MPPS Board Policy.
*Illness or professional appointments with a doctors note *Death of a relative
*Observance of Religious Holidays
Below are images to our attendance policy but it can also be found in the front of your child's Agenda....
Check out the MPPS District website for information, news, events and all the links helpful for staff & families. From there, you can get to our Vowles Website and find staff information, events and the live feed from our Vowles Elementary FB page.