EOY Education - Instruction Tech
EOY Updates & Reminders from Your Library Media Center
4th Quarter Ends 06/02/2016
Last Day for Student Check-Out: 05/13/2016
ALL Student Books Due: 05/20/2016
PCE Beach Party: 05/18/2016
ALL Teacher Materials Due: 06/03/2016*
Personal File Storage & Organization: 06/06/2016^
ET Desktop/Laptop Re-image: 06/06/2016 to 7/31/2016^
ET Desktop Refresh: 06/06/2016 to 7/31/2016^
*Individual meetings have been set with Media Assistant to review your account status. If any resource/AV equipment is needed during the summer, please contact the LMC staff, Reading Coach, and Administration so accommodations may be made. Any items lost/damaged should be reported to the LMC.
^Save all documents to your personal 'F' drive as items saved to the desktop will be lost.
^Personal ‘F’ drives need to be cleaned up; transfer mp3, mp4, and jpeg files to an external drive. Servers are at risk of crashing when these drives are not cleaned up.
^Student ‘S’ drives will be wiped clean and all contents removed during the summer.
^Clean out outlook account and remove old, unwanted, and unnecessary email as exchange servers with 2.5 Terabytes of active email slow everyone’s email down.
*To ensure an accurate inventory, Curriculum/AV Materials to be scanned and checked out to individual patrons:
Items which CAN be stored in the classroom*:
F&P Benchmark Kits
Let’s Talk About It
Professional Development books
Content Teacher Editions
Items to be stored in the LMC:
General Circulation Materials
Parent Library Materials
School-Wide Writing kits
AV Curriculum Materials (DVDs)
Literacy Resource Materials (Guided Reading materials)
AV Equipment (audio players, eReaders, tablets, slates, cameras)
Microphone Headphones for Imagine Learning
A/V File Tote (includes handheld microphone, lavaliere microphone, battery charger, rechargeable batteries, pens, pen case, remotes for doc camera and projector, and IWB information packet and supporting CDs)
*The Media Assistant will print a LMC patron status report for each user. Please review your individual LMC patron report for materials/resources currently checked out. Professional development books and content materials will remain in individual classrooms unless faculty member is retiring, transferring, changing grades, or leaving PCE.
CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD BEFORE SUMMER!
1. CTRL-ALT-DEL to change password
2. Choose CHANGE Password
3. Answer the following prompts:
Your password will now be changed! Secure your new password. Contact the Help Desk with any questions. If your password expires over the summer, you will need to contact the Help Desk to have it reset.
End User Responsibilities
Read and be familiar with the MCSD User Log-on Agreement. Remember, only use MCSD devices for school business. Refrain from using personal devices for school related work and communication. This also applies to access of Smartphones on the MartinSchools WIFI.
Save all passwords ; contact the HelpDesk for forgotten user log-on password.
MCSD Network Access Updates
· Guest Accounts: Sites having guests that will need access to the Internet must request a guest account from the Help Desk at least one business day prior to your event. Guest accounts remain active for the day of your event. Sites requiring guest accounts for longer than one day must have approval from your Principal and the Coordinator of Computer Operations and Technical Support (that’s me). Please submit your request by creating an iSupport ticket. Requests that are not submitted with enough advance notice may not be created in time for your event. Please feel free to share this e-mail with all concerned individuals at your site.
· Kiosk PC’s: ET will, at your principal’s request, install one kiosk PC in the lobby of your school for parent use. If you have any other plans, please discuss them with Chris Hall first.
· Substitute Teacher Login Accounts: ET continues to work with HR to get sub teacher new hire information so we can create login accounts for these folks before they get to your site. In the event a sub does not have an account ready, please contact the Help Desk immediately. Please remember, we create login accounts for all subs the same way we create any user account. If we don’t have the new hire information, we cannot create the accounts. The steps for a sub logging in are the same for any employee:
o The user name will be up to 6 letters of the last name and the first letter of their first name. For example: Frank Richardson would be richarf. Susie Smith would be smiths. If there ends up being a duplicate username with this method, a number is added to the end of the username. Please contact the Help Desk if you need assistance.
o If the sub has signed on this school year, their password will be the last password they used to sign on.
o If the sub has NOT signed on this school year, their password will be Welcome359$.
o Temporary subs are not given e-mail accounts or access to shared drives.
o Ask the Media Specialist to submit a Form 14 for any sub that does not have an account or if the sub teacher’s status changes to long-term. Only long term subs receive e-mail and access to shared drives.
· Substitute Teacher Safari Accounts: Subs will login to Safari using a generic account. The user name will be the initials of your site name and the password will be martin:
o bce-sub, mch-sub, faw-sub, and so on.
· Substitute access to shared drives: At this time, subs will not have access to any shared drives. ET is working on a procedure to allow this.
Clean projector filters except for BrightLink filters which are cleaned under contract by ITI. Turn IWB projection devices off, not in mute mode to save life of lamp.
Powered On or Power Down?
Projectors, Promethean Panels, & TVs
Be sure to Log Off all computers and keep the following devices Powered On for the summer:
MFPs (copier, scanner, printer)
Teacher and student desktop PCs
MCSD Google Apps for Education Accounts - GAFE
Please activate your GAFE account, if you haven't done so.
The new log ins are located under the sbmc.org domain. I will explain this in the username section below.
USERNAME: Your username is the same as your network credentials, but the ‘url’ portion of it has changed. For example, Douglas Konopelko is email@example.com in outlook, but in Google Apps, Douglas Konopelko is firstname.lastname@example.org . This is to help us distinguish between the two when working in the different environments.
PASSWORD: The plan for these accounts is for us to sync these with our other systems so that our passwords will eventually match your network credentials. For now, you can manage this password on your own. The initial password for your account is your 8 digit employee ID. You will be prompted to change this as soon as you log in for the first time.
ClassLink Single Sign On and Password Vault for MCSD Applications is Coming!
The MCSD has purchased ClassLink for all its network users (faculty, staff, and students.) ClassLink solves the problem of too many passwords, and too many files scattered about. It’s a one click single sign-on solution that gives students access to everything they need to learn, anywhere, with just one password. Accessible from any device, ClassLink is the perfect tool for password vaulting.
Library Media Department at Palm City Elementary
1. Yesterday's libraries were all about books. Today's libraries are all about readers.
2. Yesterday's libraries were all about getting information. Today's libraries are all about creating and sharing information.
3. Yesterday's libraries were all about silent individuals. Today's libraries are all about active groups.
4. Yesterday's libraries were all about term papers. Today's libraries are all about multimedia hands-on collaborative projects.
The PCE LMC embraces the concepts of today’s library!