REaCH eNewsletter - Vol. III, Issue 1, September 1, 2020
The 2020/2021 School Year is Under Way!
In preparation for the transition from fully remote to hybrid learning, we are sharing announcements and details in this newsletter, via Remind text announcements, and using other communication resources (described below in "Ways We Communicate"). Also included in this issue are topics of general school news and interest. We hope you will find the news and information, announcements, and events calendar sections in this newsletter helpful.
We wish all of our REaCH students and families a great 2020/2021 school year!
~The REaCH Faculty & Staff
Hybrid Learning Set to Begin September 8
Transportation. On Wednesdays when the traditional high schools will be closed for cleaning and their buses won't be running, REaCH community bus stops will be in use (see details in next section below). Hybrid learners who are bus riders or need to be on campus before or after their face-to-face classes may go to the supervised Distance Learning or Seminar areas when they aren't in a face-to-face class. Students will be directed to the locations of Distance Learning and Seminar.
Lunches. School lunches will be available for hybrid learners who are on-campus during the lunch period. As in the past, lunches will be delivered to REaCH from the R-S Central cafeteria based on the number of REaCH students who request a lunch each day. Students planning to be on campus and eat lunch should request a lunch by 9:00 a.m. daily using the online lunch request form link that will be provided to our students.
Additional information is available on the REaCH website and will be announced on an ongoing basis through Remind text announcements. Please contact the REaCH office at (828)395-4190 with any questions.
Community Bus Stops in Use Wednesdays Beginning Sept. 9
Don't Miss Out on the Memories! Get Your REaCH Yearbook!
The REaCH yearbook is an annual tradition and is quite different from the typical yearbook because it is colorful and customizable! Returning students may order and customize their yearbook by using their yearbook account from last year to upload photos and create custom pages; freshmen may create an account at treering.com. Purchase a yearbook by September 30 to get a 10% discount. The price is $40 plus tax. We will really need LOTS of photos uploaded to make this year's book happen. If you would like to share your photos with the REaCH yearbook staff, please set them to "public" when you upload them; if you would like to use them only on your custom pages, set them to "private."
School portraits, including senior portraits, will take place after we physically return to school. Portrait dates will be announced as soon as they are scheduled.
Check out the flyer below for yearbook details!
Welcome, New REaCH Faculty Members!
Ms. Leslie is our new mathematics teacher and will be teaching Math 1, Math 2, and Math 3. Now in her 8th year teaching, Ms. Leslie comes to us from her previous assignment at R-S Central High School. She holds an associates degree from Isothermal Community College, a Bachelor of Arts degree from UNC-Charlotte, and is currently pursuing a masters degree at Appalachian State University.
Ms. Roof is our new science teacher and will be teaching Earth and Environmental Science, Biology, and Chemistry. She comes to us from Chase Middle School with nine years of teaching experience. She is a graduate of Southern Illinois University and Western Carolina University, and this semester we will get to congratulate her on her graduation from Grand Canyon University! She is the mother of four amazing children: a sophomore at REaCH, two middle schoolers at East Middle, and a second grader at Sunshine Elementary. Ms. Roof is looking forward to a great year and sends a warm "Hello" to her new REaCH family.
Ways We Communicate
Get REaCH announcements and information through the various channels and methods below.
Text announcements via the remind announcement service. Sign-up instructions are available from the school office.
REaCH website (with calendar) at http://reach.rcsnc.org
All-calls may be used for significant announcements at the discretion of the principal.
NOTE: One or a combination of the above is used for various communication events.
Additionally, students receive information via:
Rutherford County Schools (RCS) student email;
ICC student email (we strongly suggest students forward ICC student email to RCS student email);
Canvas (high school course announcements, assignments, "Counseling and Student Services," and other information);
Moodle (ICC course announcements, assignments, and information);
The ICC website (ICC calendar and announcements);
Daily morning announcements at school.
A Look Ahead for the Class of 2021 and Senior Parents
- Senior Parent Night, Monday, Sept. 21, 6:00 p.m. (location to be announced): College financial aid, senior year, and graduation information will be provided. Featured guest speaker from College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) will present information about college financial aid and scholarships. The location, which might be virtual, will be announced as the date draws near.
- CFNC Countdown to College Month, Oct. 1-23: Includes CFNC College Application Week, Oct. 19-23, when many NC colleges waive their application fees. Specific details and activities will be announced. Visit cfnc.org for more information and to complete college applications.
- Senior House: During Senior House meetings, held when announced to seniors, students will be provided information about college applications, graduation, career preparation, and other topics to support them in a smooth transition to their next life stage.
College-Ready Resources for Families
Other college-readiness resources:
- Late-start online college courses, indicated by a section number beginning with 97 (example: CIS110 970IN), begin on Tuesday, September 1. Students enrolled in one of these courses should check their Moodle page on 9/1 and be sure to complete the Mandatory Course Enrollment Assignment as soon as possible after the course opens.
- Hybrid learning begins on Tuesday, Sept. 8. Students should follow their REaCH schedule along with the special hybrid learning schedule that was emailed to students on Aug. 26 to determine what days/times to be on campus.
- In addition to the return to high school classes, students who selected hybrid learning for this semester will also return to seated ICC courses on September 8th. The days/times remain as listed on each student's ICC schedule in Patriot Port (and in the pink college course blocks on students' REaCH schedules). Students should continue working remotely in all courses until the Sept. 8 hybrid learning transition.
- Beginning Wednesday, Sept. 9, REaCH community bus stops will run each week on Wednesday (when the traditional high schools are closed for disinfection and their buses are not running). The community bus stop list will be emailed to each REaCH student.
- It is IMPORTANT that students check their ICC email and Moodle DAILY. These are the primary channels through which ICC information is communicated to students. If students experience problems logging in to ICC email, Moodle, or Patriot Port they should contact the ICC Help Desk.
- All sophomores will take the PreACT in October. The exact date is yet to be determined and will be announced when available.
- As you make travel or other plans for the Christmas holiday break, please be aware that fall semester final exams will be Monday, Dec. 14-Friday, Dec. 18. The holiday break will begin on Monday, Dec. 21.
- Receive REaCH announcements via text message! The REMIND text announcement service is one of our primary means of communication. Parents and students are asked to sign up for the applicable grade level groups (your phone number will not be visible to the school or others). Each student family received sign-up instructions during the recent School Success Startup days. Sign-up instructions are also available in the REaCH office.
- SAFETY REMINDER: For traffic safety reasons, students should be dropped off/picked up in the Student Center parking lot (below the REaCH building) only, NOT in the REaCH parking lot off of Piney Ridge Road.