How To Become A Preppy Girl!
You'll be a Perfect Girl!
Be confident. Preppy girls are not shy-faced little lambs. They are completely unafraid to be daring with their fashions and express their opinions. If you find yourself staring at the floor and blushing when you talk to somebody, this needs to stop-right away. Build up your self esteem and be confident within yourself. Don't put yourself down - at the same time, nobody likes a brag. Strike the balance. Hold your head high, talk in a confident, quiet voice, stand tall, and don't be afraid to be yourself. Try not to become loud and annoying, just polite and happy with yourself.
Always Dress Classy!
Try Some Preppy Sports
- Corduroys, Khakis and Skinny Jeans.
- Polos and cardigans
- Stay away from polos that are too long/tight.
- Also stay away from polos in weird colors, patterns, or fits. Basic colors are safest.
- Khakis (Make sure they fit properly.)
- Sperry Topsiders are most well-known, which means more recognizable for preppiness
- Ballet Flats
- Tory Burch, Ralph Lauren, or Chanel recommended. It MUST be brand-named. Nothing trashy, ugly or one-season shoes.
- Navy is best for ALL clothes, and recommended.
- Tote bags
- a nice monogrammed canvas tote from L.L. Bean is owned by every prep, get it with your initials.
- with a small bow, collegiate-looking stripes, or even just plain
- Ribbon belts
- Anchor belts
- Statement necklaces
- diamond stud earrings, grandmothers jewelry, classy earrings, Rings, Bracelets, and nice pretty necklaces. Remember, dress to impress.
- remember also what Coco Chanel told us: take off at least one accessory before you leave the house. Do not overload.
- Another great accessory is the nautical bracelet - in either rope or metal (preferably gold). Keep it simple and only wear one or two at a time. Kiel James Patrick's are best when it comes to a great and chic bracelet.
Get the hair. Make sure your hair is clean and well-combed/brushed. Well-groomed, shiny and clean hair is essential -- a lank, tangled and oily mane is notgoing to pass you off as preppy. Your hair should be kept up with.
- Try a simple hairdo, or just leave your hair natural.When you have styled your hair, add a few accessories. The essential preppy hair accessories are:
- Headbands -- also in a bright color, or a sophisticated, plain one. If you're willing, try a simple print one.(If you have curly hair, a headband is a great idea.)
- A simple but pretty hair clip. If you have irritating bangs or a bump in your hair, brush them back and smooth it back with a pretty hair clip.
- Hair should look neat (not too fussy), and natural.
- Make sure your face is clean before you apply makeup. Also, make sure your eyebrows are well done and well combed.
- Apply concealer. Make sure your concealer's texture is either cream or liquid - they are the best, and solid concealer always creases and looks caked.
- Face powder or translucent powder, pressed or loose, no matter which, always apply it with powder brush, as the application will be a lot more lighter, softer and will give a natural result.
- Stay away from bright eyeshadow, or many layers of eyeshadow (different colors on the lid, crease, and corners). Stick with pastels and neutral colors, lightly applied.
- Eyeliner and Mascara are good, just make sure they don't smudge or clump. Also try to pick brown eyeliner and mascara over black, it's classier and more natural. Also, when applying eyeliner, MAKE SURE you apply it as close to the lash line as possible, or else it will look ugly!
- Don't go overboard on the blush either. if anything, use a cheek tint to get that rosy glow, but nothing more.
- Lipstick can look very classy if used with the right colors. Nothing too dark or bright; stick with lighter, more neutral pinks; if you're going for a bright red, make sure it has blue undertones to make your teeth look whiter.
- What also works- IF you have a nice complexion with NO zits, spots, shadows or eye circles, try not wearing skin make-up if possible, only eyeliner, mascara and lipstick so you won't look plain.
- Every preppy girl must have flawless white pearls for teeth. Get braces or night-retainers if necessary, and brush and floss at least twice a day. Use mouthwash as well for extra freshness.
- Shower at least once a day; preps are well-kept and fresh. They smell the way they look: neat and clean. Wear a light perfume (think Chanel No.5, not a muskier or richer scent but not too much)
- Keep your nails neat as well. You don't always have to wear polish , but make sure they're nicely filed and trimmed. Too-bright nail polish will make you look too high-profile. Stick with French, light pink, pearl creams or clear.) This is to keep the perfect prep-like image, remember to keep your areas of your personality.
- Don't try too hard. Like many other subcultures, being preppy is a lifestyle. Usually, you can either be preppy or you can't. If you begin stereotyping yourself and trying too hard, you'll end up a poser.
- Keep all your stuff organized. It is very unclassy to have a cluttered, messy bag or papers flying everywhere.
- Preps are big into education. Check out your local art museums, read classic literature, and watch international sports. it is very important to preps to be able to hold their own in any social situation. That means having knowledge about a vast subject base.
- Don't classify and enclose yourself. You're still you!
- Don't spend a fortune. Forking out thousands of dollars on a new wardrobe just so people will think you're preppy is simply not worth it. Save up a little extra cash, and then buy what you need.
- Keep in mind that this is the adult kind of prep, not the middle school or high school kind. If you're still a child you can still wear a preppy-colored polo with khakis though
- If you're planning on using this as a makeover, try it during summer holidays. You have a lot of free time and it will be less of a hassle.
- Be happy with yourself. If you manage to pull off the preppy look but are genuinely unhappy with what you've become, change back. The important thing is being happy with who you actually are.
- Don't be a snob. Snobbishness defines as having an air of condescending superiority and looking down on other people and thinking that you're better than them and they're not good enough for you, and it can definitely be hurtful. Avoid having a snobby attitude, because preppy females are never, never, ever snobs. Be kind, polite, and considerate to everyone, don't rudely ignore others, and remain humbleand modest.
- Don't wear knock offs. That doesn't just mean that fake coach purse. it also means don't wear anything pretending to be something its not. No fake pearls, no cubic zirconium. A real amethyst or even just a glass bead is better than fake diamonds. Fake diamonds mean that you wanted the real thing, but couldn't have them. Glass beads just mean that you liked the look of the necklace.
- Keep a hanky on you at all times. You'll look classy, and you'll always be able to fix your make up or catch a running nose because sometimes tissues just aren't available where you are.
- Don't worry about only wearing things from expensive stores. If you can find some simple oxfords on sale at J Crew, and splurge on a Lacoste polo. Most preppy people don't mind wearing stuff from middle class stores right along with their Louis Vuitton.
- Also if your in grade school still, try not to go overboard with foundation it will look cakey. And be sure its the correct color for your skin tone!
- Don't buy the same things as others! For example, try a Lilly Pulitzer Tote rather than the classic Longchamp tote, to show you are very versatile.
- It's fine to wear fake pearls: unless you're working at a jewelry store, few people will know the difference.