No School for students - Teacher Workday and Parent/Teacher Conferences
Monday, Nov. 5th, 9am to Tuesday, Nov. 6th, 4pm
15500 Learning Lane
Boosterthon is Coming!
Parents! This year’s main fundraiser is the Haymarket Fun Run! It’s a two-week program that kicks off with a Pep Rally on November 14th. Families will then gather pledges for every lap your student runs (30-35 laps), and we’ll celebrate at the Fun Run on November 29th. With our big goal of raising $20,000 for Enhancements to HMES Grounds, we asked the Fun Run experts at Boosterthon to power our Fun Run and make it easier, more profitable, and more fun.
Students will also experience an amazing character theme, MINDSPARK MYSTERY LAB! Boosterthon’s most exciting theme yet combines S.T.E.A.M skills (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) with character-building. While they're teaming up with the MindSpark Kids to solve mysteries, our students will learn five 21st-century character traits that will help strengthen themselves and our world.
Donations will go toward HMES Grounds Enhancements and to the entire two-week experience. So please help our school by reaching out to sponsors. Also, all families are invited to come out and cheer on your student at the Fun Run! Thank you for your support!
We encourage our students to be here every day, on time, and prepared to learn. You can help by planning family trips and vacations during school holidays and scheduling appointments, if at all possible, after school hours. Your children’s attendance is closely tied to their academic achievement. If you plan to have your child(ren) out for 3 or more consecutive days, our front office staff will give you an Extended Absence form to complete ahead of time. We thank you for partnering with us to ensure our students have opportunities to learn along side their peers everyday!
Haymarket Drive Closure
As many of you have seen firsthand, the Virginia Crossing project to extend Somerset Drive to Route 15 has begun. Construction has started with the clearing of trees in front of the school. A couple things that will directly affect our greater community around our beautiful school:
- Haymarket Drive is set to close on both sides (connection to Old Carolina near the railroad tracks and the dirt road). You will be able to get to Haymarket Elementary School via Mercury Drive. Please note that the speed limit on this road is 25 miles per hour.
- Depending on the amount of underground rock, there may be some blasting that has to occur. If blasting has to occur during school hours, we will be alerting everyone ahead of time via the intercom so no one is startled if they feel slight rumbling.
I assure you that students will be safe at all times throughout this project. I have had consistent, positive communication with the engineers, developers, and PWCS personnel to ensure little impact on our students’ day-to-day learning ventures. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call and set up a time to discuss with me.
Front Door Access
It is great pleasure that I share with you exciting security measures that were recently completed at Haymarket. If you have not experienced it already, our main front doors will now be locked at all times (as will all exterior doors). To the right of the main door, there is an Access Control call button that you will need to push before entering. You will be instructed by an office staff member to stand in front of the camera and answer a basic question or two before being buzzed in. We will also send this out in our newsletter to continue to remind you of this expectation. During arrival and dismissal the doors will be open and/or unlocked but will have staff at or around the doors. In the near future, we will be painting a bear paw on the concrete so you know where to stand so we can see you clearly. As always, please be sure that you have identification on you at all times. This is an exciting step towards even more safety measures at Haymarket Elementary School. A special thank you to the many PWCS employees who worked very hard to make this happen in a short amount of time.
Upcoming PTO Events for November
- Friday, November 9th - BINGO Night
- Tuesday, November 13th - PTO Meeting
- Friday, November 16th - Pajama Day
- PTO Sponsored Food Drive: December 3rd-7th
Fall Book Fair News
Monday, Nov. 26th, 9am to Friday, Nov. 30th, 4pm
15500 Learning Lane
We will have our Fall Book Fair November 26th-30th. Family Night will be November 27th. The theme will be Enchanted Forest: Let Your Imagination Grow. Students and staff are invited to dress up as a Fairy Tale Character during the school day on November 27th. It is optional. Please do not bring toy weapons or masks to school as part of your costume.
We need volunteers! If you would like to volunteer at the Book Fair please follow this link:
Thank you to all the Watch DOGS!
Important Car Rider Information
- Cars must stay to the far right when pulling into Learning Lane and turning into the loop.
- Please leave a gap so that buses can enter the bus lane (at the bottom of the car loop).
- Due to safety reasons, we ask that cars NOT pull around other cars while in the car line. Please wait until the car in front of you have loaded/unloaded and pulled away.
- Adults should not get out of the car unless you need to secure a car seat. Car seats should only be on the passenger side of the car.
- As you are leaving, please look for buses entering the initial loop. They have the right away.