Providence Elementary School
Dr. Lynette Alexander, Principal
May 2019 Principal's Corner
End of the Year. May is a time for reflection and celebrations. Throughout the month, we will host Field Day, Award's Day, Exhibition Presentation, and a host of other culminating activities. The school staff will also be making preparations for the next school year. It is crucial for each parent to register NOW for the 2019-2020 school year. Remember to read to and with your child this summer and plan exciting, enriching activities for your entire family.
May Award's Day 2019
Times and Dates for Grade-Level Award's Day:
Kindergarten - Tuesday (May 21) 9:00 am Cafeteria
First Grade - Thursday (May 16) 8:30 am AV Room
Second Grade - Monday (May 20) 9:00 am Cafeteria
Third Grade - Tuesday (May 21) 9:00 am Classrooms
Fourth Grade - Tuesday (May 21) 11:30 am Classrooms
Fifth Grade - Wednesday (May 22) 9:00 am Cafeteria (Bridging Program)
Please mark your calendars!
Overdue Library Books & Cookie Party
Notices for student's overdue library books have been placed in the teachers' mailboxes in order to send home. All library books are due by May 10th.
Congrats to Ms. J. Walker’s class for getting in all their books first! They will get a cookie party. Every class which has in all their books by Friday, May 10 will get a small treat.
Michelle Barnett, PES Librarian
Teacher Appreciation Week May 6-10
Please help show our teachers and support staff at Providence how much you appreciate their hard work.
ACAP Testing May 6 & 7 for Grades 2nd -5th
The new summative assessment, ACAP, will be administered in Grades 2-8 in Spring 2020. It's not too early to begin preparing for this upcoming accountability assessment for the state of Alabama. Providence Elementary and several other schools will participate in the pilot test in May 2019. After the first administration in Spring 2020, DRC will release a set of sample items annually that may be downloaded in the Scantron Achievement Series. IMPORTANT!
Reschedule Field Day - May 17th
No Punch Cards will be issued. Please do not purchase an excessive amount of tickets. No refunds will be issued.
What is the Measles? from Nurse Michelle
Symptoms: Runny nose. Coughing. High Fever (≥ 101oF). Red or watery eyes
Tiny white spots inside the mouth
Rash that may spread from the face to the neck, chest, arms, legs, and feet
If you have symptoms, please call your doctor or primary care provider.
How to protect yourself:
Vaccination with 2 doses of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine is the best prevention.
Children can get their first dose at 12 months old.
If you have not been vaccinated, it is not too late to get vaccinated as an adult.
alabamapublichealth.gov/imm for More Information
Message from Nurse Michelle
With this year’s cold and flu season hopefully coming to an end, there are a few housekeeping tasks that need attention.
1. Please make sure we have good telephone numbers for parents and emergency contacts. It is miserable for your children to be sitting in the nurse’s office with vomiting, diarrhea or fevers while waiting for a parent or another contact to be reached.
2. It is your responsibility as a parent to pick up your children in a timely manner when they are sick with an illness that excludes them from school. Making your child wait over an hour to get picked up when they are sick is not in their best interest.
3. Students are not allowed to bring ANY medication to school without a Physician Prescription Authorization. If there is a medication that they need to take during the school day, a parent or guardian MUST bring the medication in with the Physician’s Prescription Authorization form.
This is a State policy. Also, please make sure the medication is in a prescription bottle with the prescription label, or in an unopened box/bottle if it is an over the counter medication.
Yearbook Sales 2018 - 2019 SY
It’s time to reserve your copy of the 2018-19 Providence Elementary Yearbook. The cost of full color, soft cover yearbook is $20.00. Yearbooks can be purchased now through March 22nd. We cannot guarantee that yearbooks will be available for purchase after this date. Please return your payment along with the order form from your child’s teacher. Payments can be made with cash or check. Please make checks payable to Providence Elementary.
Report Card May 23 2019
Progress Reports go home on - April 22, 2019.
Report Card May 23, 2019 - Reports will be sent home with the student .
Absent or Tardy for School?
If your child is tardy, please accompany him/her into the building and sign-in. School starts at 8:00 a.m. and students are considered tardy any time after that. Remember we expect instruction to begin promptly at 8:00 am.
- 5 Unexcused Tardies – Parent Call and a letter sent home (First Notice).
- 7 or more Unexcused Tardies - Parent letter sent home (Second Notice). This letter requests that a mandatory conference is held at Columbia High school.
- 1 Unexcused Absence- Contact the parent via phone, e-mail, and communication log.
- 3 Unexcused Absences- Send Parent letter (First Notice)
- 5 Unexcused Absences- Send Parent Letter (Second Notice/Early Warning).
- Early Warning Meeting will be scheduled and conducted at Columbia High School by Truancy Specialist.
May Activities 2019
(Fifth Grade) IB Exhibition - May 16th
PES Field Day Grades K-5 - May 17th
PBIS Party - May 14th (Luau Celebration)
Last Day of School - May 23rd