Climate and vegetation
- The South is warmer because it is located closer to the equator
- Most of the south gets a lot of rain
- In the South there are mangrove trees and bayous
- Mangrove:tropical trees that are grown in swampy grounds
- Bayou: marshy parts of lakes and rivers
- As you move further west there is less rain fall
- Native Americans used the soil to grow maize, melon, squash, beans, tobacco, and other crops
- They have long growing seasons
- Europeans migrated and built huge plantation
- They grow Tobacco,Cotton and rice
- Textile Mills began to build by entrepreneurs in the 1840'sin the Carolina's. They were built on fall lines.
- Largest oil reserves are located in the south
- synthetic rubber is one of the leading national product
- South attracts businesses because industrial plants were newer,in a better condition,and more efficient than those in the northeast
- Moved to the south looking for jobs
- the south's mild climate help the south grow.
- retired people and tourist go to the south for winter relief.
- Houston, Dallas. and San Antonio are the three largest cities in the south.
- Over half the African- American population lives in the south.
- Miami-the gateway to the Caribbean and south america.
- Atlanta-a major airline hub
- Houston-large industrial and trading center
- Washington Dc- The nations capital