Facts about Somalia
Population: 10 million
Size: Slightly smaller than Texas
Ethnic Groups: Somali: 85% Bantu and other: 15%
Religion: Sunni Muslim
Life Expectancy: 51 years old
Child Mortality Rate: 104 deaths per 1,000 births
Access To Clean Water: 29%
Literacy Rate: Male: 50% Female: 26%
Primary School Enrollment: Boys: 13% Girls: 7%
Population Living On Less Than $2: 73%
Did you know?
- The people of Somalia have the same religion, language, and culture, but they are all divided into their own clans and sub-clans.
- The Laas Geel cave paintings, which are located in Somalia date back to 9,000 B.C.E. are some of the earliest known examples of art in Africa.
- Camels are a source of wealth in Somalia which are used for transportation, meat, and milk.
- Somalia is home to elephants, gazelles, lions, and cheetahs.
- Somalia is one of the 3 countries in the world who hasn't ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of a child.