Welcome Back to Woodbrook
Sneak Peek August 2023
Dear Woodbrook Families,
Opening day is around the corner, but there is still time to enjoy some wonderful weather and one another's company.
This year we will be welcoming families with children in grades 1-5 who are NEW to Woodbrook for a school tour led by Woodbrook students on Thursday, August 31 at 2 p.m. Children must be escorted by their parents (no strollers). We will all meet in the Woodbrook cafeteria. Please enter through the glass doors by the playground.
Kindergarten will have a separate kindergarten orientation (for parents and kindergarten students) on Friday, September 1 at 1:15 p.m. in the Woodbrook gym.
Scroll down for some helpful and important information to start us off.
Arrival for the first day of school
Kindergarten and first grade children ONLY (and parents if they so desire) will meet on the blacktop behind the playground for arrival on the first day of school. Stand behind your class sign.
Parents who come in person must stand with their children on their class line
on the first day of school on the blacktop.
Beginning on the second day of school, and for the rest of the year, all children will line up as follows:
- 3, 4 & 5 will always line up on the sidewalk by the playground - even on the first day of school
- K, 1 & 2 under the canopy by the main lobby
Parents who wait with their K, 1 & 2 children under the canopy are asked to wait on the grass - there is not enough room under the canopy to have both parents and children.
Dismissal for walkers/car riders
K, 1 & 2 students will be dismissed at 3:25 to the playground area.
3, 4 & 5 students will be dismissed on the blacktop at 3:30 BEHIND the playground area by the fenced area.
If you have students in both lower and upper grades, please pick up your younger child first and then walk to meet your older child behind the playground.
After Parent Portal officially opens in late August, you will receive a Google Form to let us know how to send your child home on the first day of school (and thereafter). Please be sure to complete a separate form for each one of your children at Woodbrook.
I will be in touch with more information and forms for you as we near the first day of school. Please read below to save important dates, learn of upcoming events and become familiar with some daily procedures.
Enjoy the rest of your summer! We can't wait to see you!
WOODBROOK HANDBOOK 2023-2024
First Day of School
Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
No parking in the stop & drop lot
Please park legally on Robin Road. Do not park behind the school/in the staff lot.
Friday, September 1, 2023 1:15 p.m.
Bring your kindergarten children to meet their new teachers and classmates!
Enter the gym through glass doors by the playground.
You may park in the lot by the playground and on Robin Road.
School Tour for Families New to Woodbrook
Only Parents & Students with Children in Grades 1-5 for this Tour Please
Back to School Nights
Grades 3, 4 & 5 Parents Meet their Homeroom Teachers
and meet the choir, band & orchestra teachers
MONDAY, Sept. 18 6:30 p.m
Optional Math Club Info Session for Parents NEW to math club (grades 3, 4 & 5 only)
Parents only, please arrange for child care.
Grades 1 & 2 Parents Meet their Homeroom Teachers
AND meet the art, Spanish & physical education teachers
Tuesday, Sept 19 6:30 p.m.
Parents only, please arrange for child care.
Parents of Students in ESL classes are invited at 6 p.m. on either night to meet the ESL teacher
Homerooms/teacher assignments will be visible in Parent Portal in late August (start checking Aug 24).
Please be sure to login to Parent Portal now in order to complete all of the forms.
- You will not be able to see homeroom assignments until you complete all of the forms.
Where is my Bus?
BUS PASSES WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER AUGUST 28TH IN THE PARENT PORTAL.
- Save the link Daily Bus Dismissal Times in order to find out what time your bus leaves Woodbrook in the afternoon.
- Expect buses to be very late the first week of school, this is unfortunately typcial.
- All buses are yellow, do not assume the yellow bus coming near your stop is your child's bus.
- There are multiple buses that go to some bus stops - do not just put your child on a bus - check to ensure it is your exact bus (wb1, wb2, etc).
- Ensure you are at the stop with your child to check with the bus driver and be sure you are at the bus stop to pick up your child.
- Direct your child to remain on the bus until they see you at the stop.
- Ensure they know their stop - children sometimes get off at the wrong bus stop because they are confused.
- Have a bus stop buddy/partner to ensure your child gets off the bus at the correct stop with a buddy.
BREAKFAST & LUNCH
School Shirts for Sale!
New Woodbrook T-Shirts!
Bring $10 cash, go home with a new T-Shirt!
Wear your Woodbrook Shirt every Friday to show your school spirit!
Woodbrook Shirts will also be worn on school trips in the spring.
- Families New to Woodbrook Tour 8/31 2 pm
- Kindergarten Orientation 9/1 1:15 pm
- Back to School Nights 9/18 & 9/19 6-8:15 pm
- Parent Teacher Conference Evening Dates
Preparations for The New School Year
PARENT TEACHERS ORGANIZATION (PTO)
I hope you all join the PTO by paying your dues (the PTO website will open up in a few weeks).
All of the money goes directly to benefit the children and the school.
We always need volunteers for all activities! This is a wonderful opportunity to support the school, get to know other parents and families and see your children and their friends during the special activities!
I am sorry to say that I do not have any control of buses or their stops.
- Please email the Transportation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- You may also call 732-452-4562.
If your child rides the bus, please remember to save the link Daily Bus Dismissal Times in order to find out what time your bus leaves Woodbrook in the afternoon.
- We do not send out phone calls as this is a real time document and everyone has access to it no matter where they are.
- It will be updated for September with the new bus numbers/companies.
Wednesday Night 7 p.m. Parent Run Club - Volunteers Needed
Grades 3, 4 & 5 parents needed to coach math club in person in the cafe each Wednesday night beginning in early October.
Please be on the lookout to sign up using your Edison School District Community Pass (the same you used last year to pay for trips).
There will be a meeting on Monday, September 18 in the gym after Back to School Night for any parents new to math club.
Community Pass Instructions
If you are NEW to the EDISON SCHOOL DISTRICT Community Pass (not the Township Pass)
Payments for Math Club, Student Trips and Camp Bernie Shirts must be made on the Edison School District Community Pass. (Will open after Parent Portal Opens.)
Once you login/create an account, you must hit the Orange REGISTER button on your Community Pass home screen.
Click on the District Fees Link to locate Woodbrook catalog and find your grade.
1. Parents are using the Edison Rec Township/Latchkey Community Pass - please do not, just use the school Community Pass. Us the QR code below or click to go to the correct Community Pass.
2. Only use the login credentials sent to you from me, Christine Burke, or the official SCHOOL DISTRICT Community Pass.
3. Check all parent email addresses for that letter - many people do not check their email.
Click for the District Calendar
- Thursday, Aug 31 2 pm - School tour for families NEW to Woodbrook (in grades 1-5, no K)
- Friday, Sept 1 1:15 pm - Kindergarten Orientation
- Wednesday, Sept 6 - First Day of School!!!
- Monday, Sept 18 - 6:30 pm Back to School Night Grades 3-5 (arrange for child care, parents only)
- Tuesday, Sept 19 - 6:30 pm. Back to School Night Grades 1-2 (arrange for child care, parents only)
- School Closed Mon., SEPT. 25 Yom Kippur
- Wednesday, Oct 4 1:30 Early Dismissal (lunch hours will be earlier, ABC latchkey open)
Tuesday, October 10 School Photos (Grade 5 on Oct 10)
Wednesday, October 11 School Photos (Grade 5 on Oct 10)
Wednesday, October 11 9:30am – 7:30pm Camp Bernie Full Day for Grade 5
Tuesday, Oct 31- 1:30 pm - Halloween Parade followed by Class Parties
Arrival & Dismissal, Morning Club Drop Off & ABC Latchkey
- Please do not park in spots around the circle, and/or by any yellow curbs which are fire lanes. Park in the stop & drop lot or on Robin Road.
- Please do not leave your engines running. Turn the cars off while waiting.
- K-2 will be dismissed by the playground.
- 3-5 will be dismissed on the blacktop behind the playground.
Morning arrival 8:40 a.m.
- Pull all the way up to the next available spot in line before letting your child out of the car.
- Do NOT let your child out by the woods, near the garbage or where there is snow, mud and grass.
- ONLY let your child out on the PASSENGER side of the car and only on the sidewalk where our Woodbrook staff stands each morning. This is for the safety of the children.
- NO U turns by the flagpole circle...no parking in the visitor spots by the flagpole circle.
- When students are late to school and no staff members are outside to greet them, ALL parents must park in a legal spot and sign their children into the school.
- No one may drop off children and drive away.
When morning clubs begin in October...
Morning Club Arrival
- Park in a spot between the lines in the stop & drop lot for morning clubs & watch your child enter through the main doors. Do NOT park around the circle - no children should be walking in the circle.
- No one is permitted to drive around the circle for club drop off.
Latchkey/ABC Drop Off & Pick Up
- 7-8:30 a.m. Parents should park in the stop & drop lot and enter the cafe via the side cafe door by the playground.
- 3:30-6 pm Parents should park in the stop & drop lot and enter the cafe via the side cafe door by the playground.
Please do not park in any spots marked RESERVED.
These employees need access in order to serve the children, families and staff at all times.
Send Umbrellas & Wear Boots when Rain is Expected
What to Do When Your Child is Absent
Please always ensure that you follow the TWO STEP procedure when your child is absent.
1. Call the school to report your child's absence.
2. Send a note with the REASON/doctor's note for your child's absence when your child RETURNS.
No Idling & No U Turns
In addition, be sure you are not making a U-turn by the stop & drop lot or by the flagpole. It is dangerous and it is not permitted.
The Edison Township Recreation Department office located at
100 Municipal Blvd., Edison, NJ 08817, 2nd Floor
Open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: This is NOT the same Community Pass as the Edison Schools.
Please do not confuse the two.
Recycle your Batteries at Woodbrook!
Please recycle your batteries by sending them to school with your child.
Batteries should be placed in the battery bin
located in front of our library.
This organization was founded by former student Nihal Tammana here at Woodbrook
and our current students are working hard to keep it going!