Be a STAR!
STUDENTS, don't forget to Be a STAR no matter where you are -- that's in the classroom, on campus, connected online, or in the community -- again, we're promoting Self advocating, Teachable, Accountable, and Respectful leaders -- STARs -- here at SOAR!
Our next STAR Celebration will take place on Thursday, January 27th from 9am - 2pm in the front office -- don't forget to keep your STAR Card in a safe place and bring it with you!
Happy Thanksgiving to all -- wishing you a wonderful one!!
Some Student Trends -- Students and Parents, we need your support with this please!
- Tardiness -- Many students are reporting late to class, especially their first class of the day. This is unacceptable in an early college high school environment when the agreement for transportation and commitment is made very clear from the beginning of the program. If you/your student has had tardies this semester, please make sure to have a conversation at home about solutions to this concern. Remember, classes are reduced in this program since students are enrolled in college. Every minute missed of class is a missed learning opportunity! A schedule with class start times can be found here: https://www.soarhs.org/students/bell-schedule or through PowerSchool.
- Leaving Campus Between Classes -- We still have reports of students, especially those who drive, leaving campus between classes. Remember, SOAR students must stay on campus from the start of their first SOAR class until the end of their last SOAR class. If a students needs to leave at anytime between that designated time period, they MUST check out through the office.
- Profanity -- Unlike in years past, we are hearing a lot more profanity on campus. We ask again that anyone on campus and in this professional educational setting to respect the environment and those here by refraining from vulgar language. Again, this is not something we've traditionally had an issue with, but it's definitely worth a reminder and conversation at home.
- Clearing Absences -- Anytime a student is out of school, it's important that a parent or guardian call or email to clear their absence. The attendance number is 661-722-6509 ext. 2 or you can email Mrs. Andrews directly: email@example.com
- Parking Lot Procedures -- We are still seeing students who are picked up or dropped off at stops signs or in the middle of the roadway. Students must be picked up from an actual parking space or in the loading zone. Also, please remember that if you're picking a student up in the loading zone, the student must be out there -- NO waiting in the loading zone -- we need to keep the line moving.
We sincerely thank you for your attention to these items while we work together to make this a safe and secure environment for all!
New Faces at SOAR
SOAR and AVC BOOK INFORMATION
Click HERE for information on SOAR and AVC books.
Food Services to Provide Universal Feeding in 2021-22
Food Services is pleased to announce that beginning in 2021-22, your student will receive meals at no charge as part of their school day thanks to the USDA's COVID Relief Plan. This is an automatic benefit for all enrolled students throughout CA. It is important that our students are nourished in order for them to learn and not have the pressure associated with program eligibility.
These changes mean students are not required to complete a meal application or provide any specific documentation, however, the AVUHSD is still required to gather family income and demographic information to ensure that your student benefits from additional state and federal programs that are available.
The CDE uses this confidential information to identify qualifications for additional funding that provides for many programs and opportunities for our students. Based on the information provided, eligible students may receive fee waivers for the PSAT or SAT, free college applications, and much more. The AVUHSD is eligible for additional Supplemental and Targeted funding for student programs and services based on a variety of factors, including this data.
Please help us provide the best opportunities that we can for our students by taking a few minutes to fill out this form: https://family.titank12.com/income-form/new?identifier=3JD2ZE
Visit the Food Services website at avfood.org for more information or to contact them with any questions regarding the above link.
Students are always welcome to come to campus for breakfast (7:15-7:45am) and lunch (12:30- 1:20pm). Remember, there is no cost for meals this year. All meals are served out of the "Lunch Box" between the office and S-1.
It's important that all members of the SOAR community are familiar with behavioral expectation, academic integrity policies, dress code, etc. Students will be getting a copy of the planner through AVID classes soon. Again, until then, we ask that you review our online version of this document.
SOAR Self-screening Procedures
Students will no longer need to register or submit a daily screening through the STOPIt Survey for high school campus entry. They will, however, need to do a self-screening daily prior to coming to campus; this is in line with the AVUHSD. Again, there is nothing that students will need to submit or show for entry onto the high school campus. The self-screening questions include the following:
Have you been in close physical contact in the last 14 days with anyone known to have COVID-19 or anyone who has any symptoms of COVID-19?
Are you currently quarantined because you may have been exposed to a person with COVID-19?
Has anyone in your household recently tested positive for COVID-19?
Are you currently awaiting test results for a COVID-19 test?
Are you currently experiencing any of the following symptoms:
Fever at or above 100.4 degrees
Chills, sweating and/or repeated shaking or shivering
Mild or moderate difficulty breathing/shortness of breath for unknown reasons
Muscle aches or body aches
Vomiting or diarrhea
Loss of taste or smell
Runny or congested nose
Feeling unusually tired or weak
If you answered yes to any of these questions, DO NOT report to school. Stay home and email firstname.lastname@example.org to report the absence.
Expectations for Staying on Campus
We ask that you please have a conversation with your son/daughter about this topic, especially if they drive themselves to campus. Again, all students must be checked out through the office and may not leave campus between high school classes. If you have any questions, please contact the front office.
Grade-level Google Classrooms
New Document Delivery Option in PowerSchool
The Antelope Valley Union High School District has added a document delivery feature to PowerSchool. This will enable SOAR High School to send report cards via email. In order for this feature to work, parents will need to log into their PowerSchool account and "Opt-In" for document delivery.
Please review the instructions to opt-in below:
English Instructions: http://bit.ly/DocOpt-InEng
Instrucciones en español: http://bit.ly/DocOpt-InSPAN
Fridays at SOAR
Don't forget to be a STAR!
SOAR Stars are also life-long learners and self-advocates who solve the most pressing challenges through an unwavering pursuit of knowledge, innovation, and collaboration, becoming engaged and productive leaders in their communities.