St Pius X Youth E-Date
January 31, 2020
Table of Contents
- NEW! In the Gospel for Feb 2 we see that Mary & Joseph bring the infant Jesus to be presented to God, how do we bring ourselves and be present to God?
- NEW! Diocese of Rochester Safe Environment Newsletter for Winter 2020
- NEW! SouperBowl of Caring in lieu of Sunday Youth Nite
- THANK YOU to the Knights of Columbus for the Free Throw Championship!
- Congratulations - They are the Hands of Christ!
- NEW! SPX CYO Basketball Games Saturday & Sunday
- NEW! Looking ahead! Service Week through Winter Break!
- NEW! Knights of Columbus & Fishers of Men need volunteers
- Consider a new kind of Vacation next summer - Family Camp at Camp Koinonia!
- Sign Up Genius Link for Parents Volunteering with Youth Events and Retreats
- PDF of Sunday Youth Nite Schedule
3. No Sunday Youth Nite instead our teens will offer you a SouperBowl of Caring
Sunday, Feb. 2nd, 8:30am-12pm
3010 Chili Avenue
SouperBowl of Caring February 1st & 2nd
Will you be watching?? Superbowl is just around the corner! Seven out of ten households in the US will be watching even if just for the commercials, spending an average of $78 per family on snacks. This Superbowl Sunday you’re invited to spend a fraction of that amount and buy SOUP to feed the hungry at Blessed Sacrament’s Supper Program and provide a Soup-erBowl of Caring for the most vulnerable in our area.
Bring your canned soup (mushroom or cream of chicken are most usable) to any Mass on Superbowl weekend, February 3rd & 4th. We will also happily accept cash donations that will go to our own Social Ministry Committee programs helping the needy in the St Pius X area. Teens and parents will be at the doors of church to accept your donations!
150 million people will tune into the Super Bowl while 48 million Americans struggle with hunger. Make a play with @souperbowl #TackleHunger
Sign Up to help with St Pius X SouperBowl Collection here:
4. Thank you SPX Knights of Columbus for the Knights Free Throw Championship Last Sunday!
Everyone had a ton of fun and here are our awesome winners!
5. They are the Hands of Christ
They are the Hands of Christ…
These young people will be receiving a special recognition from Bishop Salvatore Matano in February in recognition of the many ways that they bless the community through their service, their compassion and their commitment to their Catholic Faith.
Congratulations to all of our
Hands of Christ Recipients for 2020!
Laura Clar, Daniel Tantalo, Edward LaDuca, Ashley Kellers, Thomas Viola and Thomas Walters
6. Come See a Basketball Game this Weekend!
CYO Basketball Games
Please pray for our athletes, coaches and families!
Admission: Students $1, Adults $2, Seniors $1, Family Max $5
7. Service Week just around the Corner
By the way we live our lives and our willingness to care for those in need. Throughout Winter Break St Pius X will offer a variety of Service Opportunities so young people can help build the kingdom of God but serving those in need. There are a wide variety of events, times, and locations so that teens can try out different ways of helping.
Registration links will be ready next week. Teens can come to one, two or even all events! Parents welcome as well.
Service Week February 17-21 Winter Break
Monday Feb 17 2-3 pm at School Pack Snack Bags for Families, 5-8 pm Cook dinner at RMDH (separate events)
Tuesday—Creekview Nursing Home 10-11 am,
Thursday—Learn how to Really Help your Friends—change your prayer life with a special training event with Fr Francis Pompei time 10 am –1 pm—lunch included.
Friday—Special Olympics SPX Welcome Team at Hotels for Athletes 2-6 pm
8. Our Knights of Columbus & Fishers of Men are looking for help on February 21
The Knights of Columbus encourages others to choose life through public support of the pro-life cause.
Jim Havens is the General Manager of WHIC 92.9FM/1460AM The Station of the Cross Catholic Radio. His radio show Love Will End Abortion features top guests from around the world and broadcasts globally throughout The Station of the Cross Network, including iCatholicRadio - the #1 Catholic Radio mobile app with over 350,000 downloads. He holds an M.A. in Theology from Franciscan University in Steubenville, OH.
Jim leads ROC Love Will End Abortion, an on-the-ground, grassroots pro-life ministry that effectively serves "the least of these" and strives to hasten the end of abortion in Rochester, NY.
- “Take-away" from attending: Each person who attends leaves with the following main thoughts in mind:
- "I am loved, I am called to love, and I want to advance in love by plugging into the terrific local pro-life/pro-love opportunities that I heard about tonight (and was either previously unaware of or didn't fully understand)."
- Council 17086 endorses the event
- Event is recognized as a Culture of Life Knights in Action Event
- Parish and Diocesan-wide reach
- Save at least one unborn child
Title: Mercy for the Least of These: How to Increase our Local Pro-Life Effectiveness
Space: in the church
Day/Time: Weeknight evening from 7-8:30PM
Schedule: Brief Welcome and Introduction , Talk, Q&A, Closing Prayer
Volunteers: It would be terrific if there could be two hospitable people standing outside to welcome people and hold doors, and two more people to welcome people at a sign-in table in the narthex and invite them to sign-in.
Consider a week at Camp Koinonia, a Catholic Family Camp which is about an hour from Rochester in the hills south of Canandaigua. You can come visit us for the day 6/13/20. Opportunities for teen and adult staff and volunteers available.