Te Whare Akoranga o Maungawhau, February 3, 2022
From the Principal
Kia ora koutou,
A warm welcome to Term 1, and the 2022 school year!
It's been so affirming to see the children return happy, excited and fully engaged as we get the new school year underway. There have been smiles and excitement all round as everyone settles in to their new classes!
While we continue to grapple with disruptions and uncertainties in the wake of COVID, I’d like to acknowledge the hard work of the whole MENPS team, and also our supportive families, who have really helped to ‘normalise’ the return to school despite lingering restrictions.
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new team members, Shannon Clemmet, who steps into the role of Office Administrator and Receptionist and Angela Dorrington, who joins us as Resource Manager. I'm sure when alert levels change and parents/visitors are able to visit the site freely you may have an opportunity to welcome them.
We have shared our COVID Protection Plan previously, but I realise there may still be a number of specific questions, which I’ll attempt to clarify as ‘FAQ’s’ below. Please also see our reminders for some other important action points to be aware of.
Other than that, you should now have received our list of Key Dates for Term 1, and the school year is well and truly underway. Enjoy the Waitangi Day weekend, and we look forward to seeing the children back in class on Tuesday next week, with thanks again for your support - we have an amazing team and community behind us!
Dates and Reminders
- Monday, 7 February - Waitangi Day (Public Holiday)
- Please ensure your child has a sun hat - no hat no play!
- We are transitioning to a new student database this year - please let us know if your contact details and/or medical information we hold about your child may need to be updated - please email any amendments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions - School Operations at Red
- Will school remain open? The plan is for school to remain open for instruction (full time) at all Traffic Light settings, unless directed to close by MOH for any reason
- Can I come onto the school site? Sorry, not at the moment - health and safety has to come first. Essential visitors only are permitted on site currently (8am-3.30pm). Visits to the office are permitted, but please wear a face-mask and sign in. Do not otherwise enter the school site during school hours without permission, and don't visit classes at this stage
- Will swimming happen this term? No - the pool is a public space. We plan to reschedule for a lower 'traffic light' level
- What about Interschool Sports? These have been cancelled (or postponed) for at least Term 1, as they are currently not able to proceed due to ongoing restriction
- Can sports happen in school? Yes, but restricted by year level - later this term, we will be holding a Rippa tournament for Y3-6. If we are still at the 'red' traffic light setting, spectators will not be possible, but this may be reviewed if there is any change
- Do all children have to wear masks? No. We recommend them for all children, but they are only a requirement in Years 4-6 (indoors only). All teachers are required to wear masks at this stage when teaching indoors
- Can I opt for online learning instead of sending my child to school? No. School is now open for instruction
- What if my child is unwell with minor symptoms? Keep children at home if unwell (and seek medical advice on testing and/or when it is ok to return to school). If children present at school with symptoms, they will be sent to sickbay and we will contact you
- What if my child/family are isolating? Yes, we will provide distance learning in the event that any student or students are required to isolate due to COVID
- What if I am worried that my child has 'fallen behind'? Don't be. The teachers are focusing on re-engaging the children and prioritising their individual learning needs, but we will be taking a longer term view. All children of their age are in the same situation, and the evidence is clear that children overcome disruptions to learning over time and 'find their level' - you can trust that we are here to ensure this is the case for every child
- What about my child's social and emotional wellbeing? We have found that the children don't generally seem to overthink the current circumstances and are simply having fun with their peers, but we are always here to help if they have questions or worries. Play and exciting learning experiences are usually the best solutions!
See below for our Covid Protection Framework Plan, which will be continually reviewed as new advice and information is developed.
Second hand uniform shop
Many thanks to the amazing team of volunteers, led by Sally and Emma, that run the second-hand uniform shop. It continues to be a great resource for parents and an awesome fundraiser for the PTA.
The shop won't be available onsite again until Traffic Light Orange. If you need anything from the second-sand uniform shop, please email us at email@example.com with the details and we will try to organise a solution.
Please send in old uniforms with your child to drop off to the office. We have nothing over a size 8 so we desperately need your help!
New uniforms can be ordered here https://schooluniformcentre.co.nz/mt-eden-normal-primary/
Help needed - roles at the PTA
PTA Treasurer Needed!
Although committee members have equal responsibility for the control and management of PTA funds, the treasurer has an important role, making sure these duties are carried out properly.
How much commitment? Up to an hour a month when there are no functions going on. When running an event there is sometimes set up in Kindo, receipting money and reconciling. This can take about 30 mins per day during the activity. The main commitment is during major fundraising functions, like the school fair, but those only happen twice a year…
We would love to have more parents attending our PTA meetings. In the meetings we discuss fundraising and community events and ideas such as the fair, parent quiz and the all important school discos.
The first meeting of 2022 is today - Thursday 3rd - 7pm - held in the school staff room. Please join us - after many remote sessions, we are looking forward to meeting in person again. Or email us your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are keen to run a picnic on the school field as soon as we can - a date will be confirmed once we move back to Traffic Light Orange.
Thank you Marina for your many hours of dedicated hard work as exiting deputy chairperson of the PTA. Your passion and engagement to help the school and community has been felt by all. We are all very grateful for your efforts and wish you well in the next phase of her work/family life. We are lucky to still have Marina involved in the PTA answering any questions from the new team members.
PTA - Supporting our school through fundraising & fun events
Chairperson Aimee Chikunda
Deputy Chairperson Pam Clifford
Secretary Jane Cunningham
Treasurer Linda Waddington-Miller
Class Coordinator Leader Jane Cunningham
PTA Advisor Scott Optican
Email email@example.com | PTA website | Follow us on Facebook and keep up to date with the PTA on Mount Eden Normal Primary School PTA page.