Beating the Odds
Lakeview Staff Newsletter - May 31
Of course ...
• Lakeview teachers are very reflective. I am a firm believer that the more an educator learns to become a reflective practitioner, the more the students in their care grow. The reflections submitted in MLP are well done.
• Don't underestimate the role of the PPG. I know it's the shortest part, but since it is tied to your SLO, it is the professional learning that ultimately determines if your students this year might achieve deeper learning. It is the "engine" of your EE.
• The role of collaboration. So many people talked about the value of instructional collaboration. If there is one thing of which I am proudest at Lakeview this year, it is the idea that any adult can walk into any classroom at any time and collaborate to move students forward.
• Celebrate growth. Student growth sometimes seems elusive, no matter our best efforts. Everyone can find growth to celebrate, even if it's not in the spot you hoped for. Data makes us wonder and ask questions. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back when you find those spots of growth. Schoolwide, we do have reason for some true celebrations.
• Valuing the universal. Educators at Lakeview see great value in the universal curriculum (i.e., Units of Study and Investigations) and are reflecting on the ways we are learning to be responsive to student needs within the universal. There are also many reflections about how "pushing in" services within workshop time is having significant positive effects on both students and teachers.
Wednesday, June 5
AGR end-of-year School Board presentation 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, June 6
4th grade goes to Madison
5K walking field trip to SM Library
Friday, June 7
Color Run 2 p.m.
Monday, June 10
Report cards due at 8 a.m.
Tuesday, June 11
Cadet field trip to Classic Lanes 11 a.m.
5th grade Chromebook collection 1:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 12
Field day in the afternoon
5th grade Recognition 6 p.m.
Thursday, June 13
11:45 a.m. dismissal
Sunshine celebration @ The Rock after school
Closing out the year
• There will be a "check out" form for teachers this year at Lakeview (my understanding is that you did not have this in the past). It will list the typical things you would already do every year to close out and you will turn it in before leaving on the 13th. The form will be in next week's newsletter.
• Summer hours - since there will be so much classroom movement this summer, you should not expect to be able to work in the building. However, you are always welcome to try if desired. Just be sure to email Jeff at least 24 hours in advance. Jeff will return around June 20th.
• August 19 is the date when it would be safe to assume you could return to the building if desired without checking with Jeff. This is one week before the first all-staff day. If the building is ready prior to August 19, I promise we will send an email letting you know.
• If you need boxes, there are usually boxes outside the kitchen area.
• Old science & social studies books - recycle
• Science materials (things you can experiment with) - save, they might get reused
• Word Their Way (1st & 2nd grades only) - please put in 4K wrap room on the counter
• UoS or Investigations manuals that you do need next year - contact a coach
Interviews for our 4th grade opening are scheduled for Monday, June 10th.
School supply list for 2019-2020 - click here for link
Room map for next year - click here for link
Specials Rotation for 2019-2020 - click here for link
Furniture/Room concerns - this document
Family newsletter - Link to this week's family newsletter
Elementary Blackout Dates - Here is a link to the calendar