DEAR WINTER PARK FAMILIES:
It's hard to believe that we are already halfway through the first quarter of the school year! Here are a few major highlights to share:
- Girls on the Run & STRIDE both kicked off last week! We are excited to have these programs at our school again this year.
- Our PTA treated the staff to a fabulous appreciation breakfast last week!
- We've had a few visitors and guests throughout the building. Hoggard football players made a guest appearance at morning drop off a few weeks ago to open car doors and greet students. Each week when they have a home game, they are making appearances at elementary schools around the county, so we might see them again soon!
- Last week, a group of UNCW students began field experiences in some of our classrooms. These students will be visiting for 1-2 hours per week on Wednesdays, so if your child mentions other adults in the room, you'll know who they're referring to.
- On Friday, we said farewell to our dear treasurer, Kathy Elliott, as we wished her a happy retirement! Ms. Elliott served the Winter Park school community for twenty-six years in various roles, and our school will certainly not be the same without her.
- Our teachers have jumped into their content as they began implementing our new ELA curriculum: Wit and Wisdom. They'll be sharing more about this curriculum and others this Thursday at the grade level sessions of our "Riding the WAVES to Success" Title 1 night. You may attend either session from 4:30-5:00 or 5:30-6:00 (the same information will be shared at each). There will also be a brief Title 1 presentation and PTA meeting in between the two sessions from 5:00-5:30pm in the auditorium.
- All Beginning of Year testing is finally complete! This means teachers have begun setting core instructional goals and creating DIVE groups. More information about our school-wide DIVE time, which happens from 8:00-8:25am each day, will be shared in next month's newsletter!
Since we have officially hit the halfway mark, your child should have brought home their interim report on Friday; which is a quick snapshot of their progress so far. In the coming weeks, your child's teacher will also be reaching out with the opportunity to schedule a beginning of year conference. This is a time where they can sit with you individually to review assessment data, discuss progress, and answer any questions you have.
In addition to interim reports, if your child attends Winter Park via Open Choice, Hardship, or Employee Benefit, you also received a copy of THIS CONTRACT. Please sign and return this with your child sometime this week.
We are looking forward to an exciting month. Hopefully we will see you all later this week for two big family events - it looks like the weather is planning to cooperate with Beach Blanket Bingo this time. As always, reach out with any questions you have. We appreciate your continued support!
Parent Caregiver Academy
NHCS will be hosting a Parent Caregiver Academy event this month that is open to all parents, caregivers, and community members. This event, titled Buddies Not Bullies, is a bullying prevention presentation developed by Coastal Horizons RCC Prevention Staff to educate students, parents, and community members on the common types, impacts, and prevention of bullying. They will also review how to respond to bullying and harassment for a well-rounded conversation that is both informative and inclusive.
October 11, 2023
AM session 10:00-11:00am at Pine Valley Public Library
PM session 6:00-7:00pm at Roland Grise Middle Auditorium
October 23, 2023
AM session 10:00-11:00am at Downtown Public Library
PM session 6:00-7:00pm at Blair Elementary Auditorium
Family Literacy Resources
Click HERE to access family literacy resources compiled by the Office of Early Learning. These are divided into three categories:
- Read to Achieve
- The Science of Reading
- Literacy at Home Resources
Also, the New Hanover County Public Library Newsletter is now sharing resources that align with our new ELA curriculum: Wit and Wisdom. Click HERE for more information!
Making a SPLASH
Each day, in addition to sharing birthdays on the morning announcements, I read 1-2 shout-outs. These are submitted by teachers (and peers) when students are recognized for making a SPLASH in some way -
- Spreading Kindness
- Promoting Safety
- Listening to Others
- Aiming for Excellence
- SHowing Respect
After their name is read, they come to the office to receive their slip (which they get to take home) and have their photo taken. Check out the kids that were recognized during the month of September in the video below:
AIG at Winter Park
G2G Sustainability Challenge
This week's Garbage to Gardens sustainability challenge is to bring a reusable fork or spoon from home when you pack your lunch, instead of buying plastic forks or spoons.
For more information about our Garbage to Gardens school composting efforts, click HERE.
Interested in Volunteering?
If you are interested in volunteering in some way, please complete these steps to become a Level 1 certified volunteer:
- Review the NHCS Volunteer Handbook (English or Spanish)
- Review the Volunteer Orientation Powerpoint (English or Spanish)
- Make sure that you have completed the Volunteer Application (English) or Volunteer Application (Spanish) form, and send it via email to Mrs. Whitfield at firstname.lastname@example.org. By sending in your completed application form, you are attesting that you have completed and passed the volunteer orientation assessment. If it is easier for you, you are welcome to bring a hard copy to the front desk at Winter Park. We also have some on hand if you are unable to print.
We hope to see you this week at these school events:
Riding the Waves to Success Title 1 Night: Thursday, October 5th
4:30pm - 6:00pm
Beach Blanket Bingo: Friday, October 6th
6:00pm - 7:30pm
Dates to Know:
Thursday, October 5th:
- Riding the Waves to Success Title 1 Night (4:30-6:00)
Friday, October 6th:
- Fall Picture Day
- Beach Blanket Bingo (6:00-7:30)
Wednesday, October 11th:
- Tar Heels Go Walking field trip (Kahrs)
- NHCS Parent Caregiver Academy
Thursday, October 12th:
- Tar Heels Go Walking field trip (Kogler & Adams)
- PTA Board Meeting (virtual)
Wednesday, October 18th:
- School Improvement Team meeting (3:00-4:00)
Monday, October 23rd:
- NHCS Parent Caregiver Academy
Saturday, October 28th:
- Trunk or Treat