We Are Together Tamanend!
February 28, 2020
Tamanend Exceeds Goal of Raising $500,000 for Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund
What a great day we had on Saturday at the 20th Annual Tamanend Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund Basketball Tournament! So many of members of the Tamanend community did so much to make this year’s fundraiser such a success! Here are some highlights of this year’s event:
-Over 250 students were registered to play.
-Almost 200 games were played from 9:00 am until just before 5:00 pm.
-Many students who did not play still attended to cheer on their classmates or lend a helping hand.
-Many students from National Junior Honor Society assisted in various ways in preparation for and throughout the day.
-Student Council did a phenomenal job in running the cafeteria and assisting in other ways.
-Our gift baskets raised a tremendous amount of money, and many people won some great items.
-Many staff came to support the event and/or participate in some of the contests that were going on.
Special thanks are extended to the following people:
-The Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund Tournament Committee who worked countless hours in planning and running the event:
-Mr. Klein for his exceptional leadership leading the committee and organizing the event.
-Mrs. Fink and Mrs. McFarland who collect and account for all student donations.
-Mrs. Murray who works to coordinate donations and sponsors as well as directs the involvement of NJHS members.
-Mrs. Orinski and Miss Vitacco who pull everything in the cafeteria together and do so much for and with Student Council’s involvement in the fundraiser.
-Mr. Heisey who coordinated the activity rooms and helped with a variety of other things throughout the day.
-Mr. Tauber, who continues to come out of retirement, ran shooting contests and games in the auxiliary gym and had--again!--another successful day.
-Mrs. Myrtetus who provided nursing coverage for the entire day.
-Dr. Caughie and Mr. Dudley for supporting our efforts and helping with everything throughout the day.
-Mrs. Consoletti, Mrs. Villa, and Mrs. Kirkpatrick who helped with so many different tasks as we prepared for the fundraiser and assisted on Saturday in running the basket table.
-Our custodial staff who helped with so many different tasks before, during, and after the fundraiser
Congratulations to the following people:
-All of the gift basket winners.
-All of the staff who helped in various ways and/or attended the fundraiser.
-The parents who assisted throughout the day and stayed many hours to help.
-Most of all….to our students who did such a great job in raising so much money for a great cause, for conducting yourselves so well throughout the day, for earning compliments on your behavior, your dedication, and your efforts from many parents and community members, for competing on the basketball floor but remembering to keep the focus on the spirit of the tournament, for proving that you are aware of how important it is to give to others, and for making this year’s tournament another great success.
The total amount raised is still being calculated, but we are confident that Tamanend has raised over $31,000 for KADMF this year! That puts Tamanend’s contributions to KADMF, since our partnership began, to over $500,000 and keeps Tamanend as the leading contributor to KADMF since our fundraiser began.
Congratulations on making the Tamanend community so proud!!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Relay for Life Kick Off Assembly--Friday, March 6 during school day
Parent Book Club--Tuesday, March 10 at 6:30 PM
Bye Bye Birdie: Tamanend Spring Musical--Friday, March 13 at 7:00 PM and Saturday, March 14 at 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Parent Book Club--Tuesday, March 10 at 6:30 PM
Parent Council Meeting--Thursday, March 19 9:00 AM
- Attention Tamanend TRACK: There will be an informational meeting for 7th Graders during Consult Advisory next Tuesday in Ms. Vitacco’s room in the library.
- If you are interested in participating in Spring Sports, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts which begin in March. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and will be explained at the organizational meetings.
- Any 7th/8th Grader who is trying out/participating in a Spring sport must have ImPact (concussion) testing done prior to the start of your season. Any athlete who took ImPact for another sport played at Tamanend does not need to take it again. If an athlete has not yet taken it and missed the session on Feb. 27th, s/he must attend the make-up session after school on Wednesday, March 11th in the Cafeteria with Mr. Fynes. Students staying for testing must arrange for a ride by 3:45. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Klein or Mr. Fynes.
- Family ID is now open for spring sports registration for any student in 7th and 8th grades trying out for a spring sport. The deadline to register is Sun. March 15.
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the attached flier for additional information.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the game and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- All interested, rising 9th-12th Grade boys in playing soccer for the upcoming school year, please ask your parents to join you at 7 pm on March 3rd in the Forum Room for a general interest meeting. At this meeting, the coaching staff will highlight an offseason training program, summer camp, expectations for team selection, and tentative season schedule. This meeting will also help collect contact information for future communications for the team. Any questions or concerns please contact Coach Coscia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please see the flier below for information about the upcoming CB South Youth Baseball Clinic on March 7th.
- Please see the flier below for information on CB South boys soccer summer camp.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Tickets Now on Sale for Tamanend Spring Musical Bye Bye Birde
Tickets are now on sale for the Tamanend Players musical production Bye Bye Birdie. The show will be performed on March 13th at 7 p.m. and March 14th at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance at https://tmsbirdie.brownpapertickets.com until Friday, February 28 at 10:00 PM or at the door before each show. In addition, we will sell tickets in the Main Office from March 10-13.
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is March 10
American Red Cross Blood Drive--Thursday, April 16 at Tamanend
Purchase Tambucks T-Shirt and Support Autism Awareness
Mardi Gras / Carnaval
French and Spanish students celebrated Mardi Gras / Carnaval by learning about these celebrations, making masks, and enjoying treats including chips with salsa and queso, King Cakes, and beignets. Mardi Gras and Carnaval are celebrated all over the world, with the biggest event worldwide in Rio de Janiero, Brazil. In the U.S., head to New Orleans for the biggest celebration! The celebrations include parades, costumes and masks, music and dancing.
Congratulations, Boomerang Winners!
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award is a district wide program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by the chosen asset for each month of the school year.
First, we would like to recognize Heera Kalidindi who was chosen as a district winner for the asset of Equality and Justice. Heera was chosen out of all of the middle school nominees in the district. She will be featured in the Bucks County Herald and he will be presented with a district award by CB Cares director. Congratulations to Heera!
The next student we will recognize is our winner for the month of February. The asset was Kindness— recognizing a young person who cares about others. They place a high value on helping other people. We had 46 nominations. All nominees were celebrated on Tuesday during a special reception in Advisory. Now we would like to highlight our building winner, 9th grade student, Marielle Mauri.
Marielle truly embodies the qualities we always encourage our Tamanend students to exhibit toward others. Whether in class, in the hallways, in the cafeteria, or attending after-school/extracurricular events, Marielle is a friend to EVERYONE. She notices when someone is not him/herself and she does everything she can to intervene and help that person. When a student is absent in our class, she is the first to step up and help that student to understand and fill in missed notes/information. As an athlete, she never gives up and is always cheering on her teammates. Backstage in the musical, she is a calming presence as she works to troubleshoot microphone issues. Her participation in the Friend's group is a model for her peers. Examples of Marielle’s kindness could go on and on— put simply, she makes Tamanend a better place simply by being herself.
Congratulations to Marielle and all of the following nominees:Connor Victor, Isabella Markowitz, Marcello DiPrinzio, Maryia Pauliushchyk, Dominic Dotson, Kyle Klein, Samantha Thomas, Brooke McPeak, Michael Perry, Liam Goss, Keira Calista, Joseph Morton, Isadora Wright, Paul Stuckert, Thomas Kelley, Chase Baratz, Avery Merz, Megan Schmidt, Cheyenne Torres, Emma Cunningham, Ben Busick, Brooke Edwards, Padmini Pillai, Gianna Cover, Eli Geackel, Michael Bullard, Andraya Driscoll, Hannah Lloyd, Samuel Snyder, Joseph Fabiano, Ella Kim, Thomas Melvin, Mia Crawford, Sarah Hindman, Elena DiPrinzio, Larissa Ochoa Munoz, Morgan Miller
Reminder--Program Planning for 2020-2021
Program Planning for the 2020-2021 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 2--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online. Click here to view.
- January 6--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders (during school day)
- January 9--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 17--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at https://www.cbsd.org/domain/387
- January 17 to February 9--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 29--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 10--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 7th Graders
- February 25--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 3--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 8th Graders
- March 20--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 9th Graders
- March 26--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 9th Graders
Reminder--Parent Volunteers Needed for Freshman Dance Preparations
We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in helping to setup and prepare for the Freshman Dance, scheduled for June 5th. Parents of students in any grade level are welcome to attend. Please click here to for additional information.
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
FROM OUR MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Tamanend Musicians Visit Titus, Barclay, and Neshaminy Manor
On Wednesday, the Tamanend Gold’n’Blues, Jazz band, String Ensemble, and members of the Bye Bye Birdie cast and pit visited Titus Elementary, Barclay Elementary and the residents at Neshaminy Manor to share a variety of musical performances. Their presentation was well received and appreciated, and we’re excited to continue this tradition in future years. Thank you so much to the students for their hard work throughout the day; it was definitely a worthwhile experience for both Tamanend students as well as our various audiences.
Tamanend Recognized at Upper Moreland Jazz Festival
Last Friday, the Jazz Band traveled to the Upper Moreland Middle School Jazz Festival. It was a fantastic first outing for the Jazz Band as their performance was enjoyed by the judges as well as the parents in the audience. At the awards ceremony, the Saxophone section was awarded with a section trophy being named the best saxophone section of the evening, and 9th Grade Tenor Saxophonist Ben K was awarded an individual solo award for the evening. Great job Jazz Band! The Jazz Band’s next competition is this Friday night at Penndale Middle school.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Mental Health Fair & Just Talk About It Program--March 29
Student Assistance Program (SAP)
Reminder--Help is Down the Hall
The Tamanend Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team is a group of trained faculty members who can connect students with appropriate help and resources if they show signs of struggling with mental health concerns or alcohol/substance use. If you notice concerns such as major changes in behavior or mood, drop in achievement, or use of drugs or alcohol, then you may consider a SAP referral. When the team receives a referral, we gather more information to determine if there is a need for intervention and further assessment. The information is confidential, and the process is for the purpose of offering help. Anyone can refer a student about whom they are concerned. Referrals can be made at this referral link or by contacting a SAP team member:
Mrs. Barlow, Mrs. Cammann, Sra. Corsino, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Heisey,
Mr. Klein, Mrs. Myrtetus, Ms. Scheffey, & Mrs. Szagola
"Just Talk About It" Teen Mental Health Presentation--March 3 at CB East
On the evening of March 3rd from 6:30-8pm, CB East will host a presentation for parents and guardians, titled “Just Talk About It,” offered by Minding Your Mind. Minding Your Mind is an organization dedicated to ending stigma and destructive behaviors associated with mental health issues, moving away from a crisis-based response to prevention through education. The program is an introductory mental health education program hosted by a clinician and young adult speaker, educating participants to look beyond stigma and notice warning signs of stress, anxiety, depression, and crisis. This 90-minute program will feature a Minding Your Mind clinician discussing the signs and symptoms of mental health issues most prevalent in adolescents through young adulthood, and to know the difference from typical teenage behavior. The young adult speaker will add a real-life story that illustrates the information from the clinician, transforming it all into a relatable experience. Tuesday evening’s presentation is for parents only but will be followed on Wednesday, March 4th with a student presentation with two of Minding Your Mind young adult speakers.
Reminder--Free Mental Health Support Group for Teens
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
FROM OUR NURSE'S OFFICE
Click Here to Read this Season's Edition of Nurse's Notes
Information about Coronavirus
Central Bucks School District is closely monitoring the CDC’s recommendations (included on the attached CDC fact sheet), as well as those from the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and the Bucks County Health Department. You may review the latest recommendations from the CDC on their website at www.cdc.gov. At this time, the best advice is to practice the same common-sense preventative measures that are recommended every cold and flu season, including proper hand washing and staying home when sick.
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South Ice Hockey
Your Varsity Titans rolled through the playoffs making it to the SHSHL Championship yet AGAIN!! Unfortunately, Thursday was not there night as they played Council Rock South for the title and came up a little short. The CB South Fans came out in droves to cheer the team on...it was amazing!!! But the road isn’t over yet for the team - the Flyers Cup tournament kicks off next week!!! CB South is the #1 seed for the tournament!
Titan Fans - bring the Noise!!
Varsity Titans vs Conestoga
6:15pm @ Hatfield Ice
JV Titans start their playoff run Monday night. They enter the playoffs as the #3 seed!
JV Semifinal: JV vs Neshaminy
Monday - 3/2
6:40pm @ Grundy
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--Bridging the Gap: iSmart Parent Meeting--March 19
American Red Cross Blood Drive--Friday, March 27 at CB Education Center
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Workshops for Issues Impacting Children
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Award
Nominations for March's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 03/20. The chosen for February is Asset #17: Creative Activities. Recognizing a young person who cares about others. They place a high value on helping other people. Please submit your nomination through this link. Staff members who nominate students will wear jeans to show their Boomerang Spirit on Tuesday, 03/24.
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
Please consider supporting TMS while you shop:
Giant Food Stores
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
Box Tops for Education
You can now simply scan your receipts to participate in the Box Tops 4 Education program to support Tamanend Middle School. Click on the link below to learn more:
You may also submit your receipts directly to Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office and we will scan them for you. Thank you for your support of our school.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, March 19th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900