Jk2's November News
Students learned about Christopher Columbus. We watched a brain pop video, made explorer hats and created a ship using krimpets, pretzels and marshmallows. We talked about the Pinta, Santa Maria and the Mayflower. We also practiced our color words by coloring a color by number.
Students had so much fun creating different projects having to do with Halloween. They created a bat, pumpkins, a witch, witches brew and a spider. We completed a pumpkin investigation as a class where we observed a pumpkin. We made hypothesis and tested them. We talked about how a pumpkin looks, feels, smells and tastes. We also guessed how many lines our pumpkin had, how many cubes tall it measured and whether it would sink or float. We than tested our guesses. We talked about Spookley the Square Pumpkin. We read the story, created Spookley and dictated a sentence about the story. The students also had a lot of fun at their Halloween Party and Parade!
We started and finished our unit on Insects. We talked about how insects have three body parts. They have 6 legs, an abdomen, thorax and two antennae. We created different insects including an ant using a paper towel roll and pipe cleaners and a bee. We also created our own insects, giving them a name and dictating a sentence about them. While creating our insects, we made sure they had 6 legs, two antennae and three body parts. We also created ants on a log using celery, raisins and cream cheese. The students really enjoyed making and eating the ants!
Looking Ahead to November!
- We will be finishing up our shape unit.
- We will begin our unit on Native Americans. We will be talking about how they travel, hunt, fish, gather, where they live and different clothing they wear.
- We will talk about the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving.
- We will be having a Thanksgiving feast!
- In math, we will continue talking about patterns, measurement and the numbers 1-10 We will also begin simple addition and subtraction problems.
November 18- Great Valley Nature Center visits!
November 24- Thanksgiving feast!
November 25-27- No school; Happy Thanksgiving!
Mondays- Read a book together!
Wednesdays- sight word practice
Thursdays- Read a book together!
Fridays- Enjoy your weekend :)
We are always working on writing our names, identifying and counting the numbers 1-10 and identifying our letters and their corresponding sounds. We have started to work on measurement and simple addition/subtraction stories!
First quarter sight words!
- orange, blue, red, green, brown, yellow, black, gray, pink
Number sight words:
Shape sight words:
- oval, circle, square, rectangle, star, heart, triangle
is, word, may, that, and, said, I, with, name, on, see, an, it, look, book, are, color, you, this