November 2020 Edition
Thankful, Grateful, and Masked
- Free breakfast, lunch, and fresh fruit or vegetable snack for every student both at school and online through the end of the school year
- Only one positive student case at George Washington thus far
- All specials classes have moved into their perspective areas at school
- Students have done amazing wearing masks and washing/sanitizing hands
- Our staff have worked extra hard on engaging lessons and interventions to help students overcome the five months out of school
- Our parents are supporting our dismissal efforts to keep students separated from walking areas to car drive up
- Our students are eating in the cafeteria for lunch now using social distancing
- Our library clerk is getting books to students while keeping them sanitized appropriately
- We still honor our K-Pride students during monthly assemblies and Friday drawings
- We are able to have fun times and parties with our students at school
Although we may not be able to control this unknown situation, we can still thrive and be thankful for the opportunities to support one another.
Thank you to our community for supporting our school and students.
Have a wonderful November,
Although we aren't having our annual Veteran's Day Assembly, we will still be honoring those who served. Thank you!
Penguin Patch Holiday Shop
If you would like to join our PTO meeting virtually, please click this link on Tuesday, Nov. 3 at 5:15
Cold Weather Guidelines
Keokuk Community School District believes in the importance of fresh air combating the negative health consequences of children spending too much time in closed, indoor settings. We feel it is in the best interest of our students to allow them to play outside whenever appropriate. Students will go outside in cold weather unless the real feel, or windchill temperature is 10 degrees or lower. Students will go outside in hot weather unless the real feel, or temperature with humidity, is 100 degrees or higher. Teachers may use their discretion when it comes to other weather factors such as wind gusts, condition of grounds, heat index, etc. If you feel your child needs to stay in from recess the after an illness, a note from the parent/guardian is required. A doctor’s note may be required to stay inside for additional days.
Please make sure your students have a warm coat, hat, and gloves for the winter. If you need assistance getting these items, please contact the school as we have many donors that will help families in need. Also, remember to dress students appropriately if they are dropped off earlier than 7:50 a.m. as this is the time the school building opens daily. Thank you!
From Mr. Coovert
In November students will be continuing to study the Second Step Curriculum. Students will be learning about respecting similarities and differences. It is so important that students respect people who have different opinions other than their own. They may also discover they have a lot in common with peers they do not know very well.
As always, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or need to speak to me for any reason.
GW School Counselor
November 4......Bus Safety and Evacuation Drills
November 11....Veteran's Day
November 20....Deadline to communicate online students to return in January
Nov. 23-27.........Thanksgiving Break