A Glimpse of Our Future
Immigration: Current Situation
The reason the number of immigrants will increase is because when the baby boomers pass away in the next three or four decades it will decrease our population by a lot. So to make up for the population loss they would have to increase the number of people coming in to the country.
What type of immigrants???The country will also be looking for different types of immigrants especially skilled workers because when the baby boomers pass away its not only our population that gets affected as we are also losing most of our workforce which puts a big dent in our economy so we need more people to fill up the jobs for our economy to keep moving forward.
Current Demography Of Canada
- natural increase is the difference between the birth rate and death rate
- the current birth rate is 11 and the current death rate is approximately 9
- as technology becomes more advanced and our healthcare becomes better and better the death rate will decrease as people have longer lifespans.
- Since people have smaller families and the child survival rate is high the natural increase rate is small because because the numbers are closer as both the birth rate and death rate is small
- net migration is the difference between the immigration rate and emigration rate
- every year 250 000 immigrants come to Canada and in 2010 the net migration was 7.2 per 1000
Canada's current dependency load is around 21 percent that means 21 percent of the population is under 14 and above 65 and cannot work so they have to rely on someone else
in the graph below you can see that the population is slowly decreasing and in the up coming years we would need more immigrants as the baby bloomers are going to pass away and we will lose a big part of the population.
Demography: Future Predictions
First Nations: Current Situation
Types of First Nations
- Inuit are the first nations of the Arctic and live up north
- The Metis people are descendants of mixed First Nations and European ancestry
- The Aboriginals are the ones who are full first nations and don't live up north
First Nations: Future Predictions