Explorer Monthly Newsletter
October 19, 2022
Galvan's Mission Statement
Galvan Celebrations Are the Best! ♥
Galvan Faculty and Staff Use the CKH EXCEL Model Daily to Build Strong Relationship with our Explorers♥
Dates to Note:
October 21st: Progress Reports available online
October 25th: Fall in the Halls 5:30-6:30 pm
October 28th: Character Parade 8:30 am
November 9th: Holiday Prepaid Pictures
Galvan Dress Code 2022-2023
October- Self Direct
What does it mean to Self-Direct?
Self-Direction is the ability and learned skill to cast a vision of future goals and then take intentional steps toward who, where, and what we want to be. Instead of focusing on things to control or avoid, we emphasize our responsibility to make positive choices related to our emotions, attitudes, and actions.
Why focus on Self-Direction?
- Self-direction strengthens relationships. Self-direction helps to grow social skills and develop meaningful, positive relationships with others.
- Self-direction teaches personal responsibility. Learning to self-direct teaches students to take responsibility for their own actions.
- Self-direction helps us to regulate emotions: Self-direction empowers students to regulate their impulses and emotional responses to situations and circumstances in their life.
Self-Direction in Action:
- Practice goal setting and action planning. When we establish goals and develop action plans, we learn to take intentional steps to successfully achieve goals.
- Monitor and adjust. Provide students with regular feedback and opportunities to self-assess progress toward goals to make adjustments and improvements in their behaviors.
- Reflect and evaluate. Facilitate discussions and reflection to prompt students to examine what they do, think, and say against their goals and vision for their life and learning.